Fruit?

Options
So, I'm a little frustrated.. I have recently been deemed 'pre-diabetic', which is by far the scariest thing I've been told so far.. Anyway, I've been following a low gi/low carb diet for about 2 months, and it's going very well.. But I'm trying to incorporate more fruits, without going crazy with sugars/carbs.. Are fruits really that necessary? My daily goal is 30 sugars.. But it's like one piece of fruit, and I've already blown it, unless I only eat grilled chicken for the rest of the day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but from what I've read berries are the best option they all low in carbs/sugar.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The aim is to eat foods that raise blood sugar slowly. So, if you eat some protien with your fruit, such as nuts or cheese, then this will slow down the absorbtion of the sugars in the fruit you are eating at the same time. Pre-diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance means you need to avoid refined sugars in particular - sugar, cakes, biscuits (or items containing refined sugar.) It's not recommended to eliminate an essential food group - fruit and vege hold essential vitamins and minerals that you can't get from other foods. Hope this helps.
  • smorsie324
    smorsie324 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It does help, a lot. I have PCOS, which is an insulin resistance issue.. Go figure. I have been taking blood sugar a few times a day, and the highest is ALWAYS my fasting one.. I'm in 'normal' range for all of the other times.. So I'm just kinda frustrated. I love fruit, and I want to eat fruit, but not throw my body out of whack, and still stay healthy, as we are trying to have a baby. i could live off of raw veggies though! (green pepper strips, cucumbers, and celery are my favorites). thank you for your help!
  • Serenavictoria
    Serenavictoria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What about a glass of low sugar/low cal/low carb (can't remember what they call it) of V8 fusion? My "dad" has diabetes. Cinamon capsles help him, and eating at the same time everyday also helps. His doctor told him to take Cin capsles, I say try them to help with the diabetes and then you can maybe eat some more fruit.
  • smorsie324
    Options
    What about a glass of low sugar/low cal/low carb (can't remember what they call it) of V8 fusion? My "dad" has diabetes. Cinamon capsles help him, and eating at the same time everyday also helps. His doctor told him to take Cin capsles, I say try them to help with the diabetes and then you can maybe eat some more fruit.

I heard that about cinnamon! i actually just bought some today and plan on starting them tomorrow. i didn't think about that possibly helping with the fruit. thank you!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It does help, a lot. I have PCOS, which is an insulin resistance issue.. Go figure. I have been taking blood sugar a few times a day, and the highest is ALWAYS my fasting one.. I'm in 'normal' range for all of the other times.. So I'm just kinda frustrated. I love fruit, and I want to eat fruit, but not throw my body out of whack, and still stay healthy, as we are trying to have a baby. i could live off of raw veggies though! (green pepper strips, cucumbers, and celery are my favorites). thank you for your help!

Youre not alone - Im a PCOS/IR with a metabolic disorder the Endo just cant put a name to it...

We really should avoid most fruits because of the natural sugars. Berries are actually a much better but limited option to turn to. The wilder the berry the better!
  • smorsie324
    Options

Youre not alone - Im a PCOS/IR with a metabolic disorder the Endo just cant put a name to it...

We really should avoid most fruits because of the natural sugars. Berries are actually a much better but limited option to turn to. The wilder the berry the better!

And I would rather eat no fruit than berries! It's something about the seeds! I can eat strawberries.. If they're covered in whipped cream! hahaha I prefer cherries, apples, pineapple (super bad, i know), and melon (also, super bad).. I think I'll be better off to just skip them.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

And I would rather eat no fruit than berries! It's something about the seeds! I can eat strawberries.. If they're covered in whipped cream! hahaha I prefer cherries, apples, pineapple (super bad, i know), and melon (also, super bad).. I think I'll be better off to just skip them.

Them seeds pack some mighty natural fiber!!! I really love the 'bite' !!!! hehehe... Do you like blueberry?