Sleep.

Options
I have always been a night owl, but for some reason I feel like it is getting worse :(

I made a goal for myself this week to go to sleep by 11. I have yet to succeed and it is Friday :( I normally go to bed at around 1 or 2, and fall asleep by 3. Last night was the worse so far this week! I went to bed at 1030, layed there for 2 hours, wide awake... tried to read, listen to slow music, warm milk, everything. I was wide awake until 615 this morning!!!!! I dont know what to do!

It seems like since I started working out and eating right I have way more energy that lasts wayyyyy longer! I love sleep. I want to sleep.

Any suggestions?!

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    what time are you getting up? The only way I managed to combat this going from working nights to mornings was make myself get up at 7am every morning, no matter what. DO NOT NAP! Soon your body clock will change but you have to get through the whole day and by 11am you're bloody shattered!
  • aigo86
    aigo86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I never nap! I never even feel a need to!

Well last night since I went to sleep at 615, i woke up at 10.

I have tried getting up earlier and earlier to see if that helps me fall asleep at night, but it doesnt... at all!
  • mzarns
    mzarns Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like you have insomnia to some degree. I went through a sleep study a few months ago and have a slight insomnia issue. I have "restricted" sleeping times. I have to go to bed at 11 pm every night and get out of bed at 6:30 am every day -- 7 days a week....no naps during the day either. If you do that for about a week, your body may adjust. If it doesn't, you may want to go in and talk to your doctor about it. The key is to make yourself be in your bed ONLY during those allowed times. Even if you don't sleep at night - you CANNOT take any naps during the day.

Another tip -- if you cannot sleep and you are lying there for 15 minutes, you should get up, do something around the house that you do NOT like to do for about 30 minutes...and then go back to sleep again.

I wish you luck - cuz I know how much that SUCKS!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Everyone requires different amounts of sleep... I know my husband sleeps way less than I do, but it sounds like you are not getting enough. Have you ever had a sleep study done? What time of day do you exercise? Do you drink any caffiene? I'm not sure, just trying to brain storm. I hope it gets better for you.
  • aigo86
    Options
    Thanks! I don't drink caffeine... gave up soda completely 01/01/2011 :) hate coffee!

I have tried exercising in the morning, and at night... nothing seems to help. :(

Its crazy because when I wake up in the morning, I am not tired at all! I do not take naps... ever. I am always super tired at night, so the minute I feel it coming on, i go to bed. Then i lay there for five minutes and am wide awake for hours. It just doesn't make sense to me!

I would love to do a sleep study, only problem is insurance issues right now! :(
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Sleep can be powerfully influenced by thyroid performance hormonal balance. I didn't sleep well for *years* and thought it was just part of the deal with getting older because my mother and sister had the same problem. Come to find out, in my case it's due to estrogen dominance. When I add some natural progesterone either in capsule or cream form, I sleep! Unbelievable what a difference it makes.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sleep is the holy grail for me.... I hate it.

I have so much energy that I often struggle to fall back asleep after a midnight poddy break.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I resent having to waste so much of my life sleeping.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Try melatonin. It's available over the counter and is inexpensive.
    That's what our physician recommended for my teen son (who has trouble falling asleep) and my husband (who falls asleep and then wakes up at 3am and can't get back to sleep).

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
  • aigo86
    Options
    Try melatonin. It's available over the counter and is inexpensive.
    That's what our physician recommended for my teen son (who has trouble falling asleep) and my husband (who falls asleep and then wakes up at 3am and can't get back to sleep).

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

Tried melatonin.... no luck. :(
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're not going to magically go from going to bed at 2 to 11. You need to work your way backwards. I recommend every couple days go to bed 15 mins earlier but get up at the same day each day. No snooze button!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Tea. Sleepy Time Tea to be exact.

Warm hot bath for 20 minutes or so.

Sleep aid provided by doctors might also be helpful.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    When I had insomnia issues, mine were caused by stress. I had trouble shutting off my brain.

Any light in the room disturbs my sleep. - Blackout curtains ($20 a pair) solved that problem.

Any noise, even after I'm sound asleep, wakes me. - a $10 fan left running gives me enough "white noise" to overcome outside sounds.

A period of preparation helps, along with a set bedtime. I used to stay up till 2-3AM every night. Now I am in bed by 10PM, and up by 6AM. I start by sitting quietly with a cup of relaxing tea about 30 minutes before bed (like Sleepy Time or Chamomile.) I lower the lights, and turn off computers and TV. I meditate or read. The stimulating screens of TV and internet are a problem for me.

Once in bed, I shut down my brain by blocking any thoughts that come in. This is where knowing meditation techniques helps.

It does take practice. I feel your pain. Keep trying.

Options
    Try establishing a relaxing bedtime routine - no devices (no mfp, fb, twitter, glowing tablets, laptops) a couple hours before bed. Darken your rooms, take a warm bath. Make your room dark and cool, even a little light can keep you awake. I also find that watching the NASA channel works like a charm!

Valerian root can help relax you too.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've had insomnia since I was a little girl. I've gone through numerous studies and tried everything but still, no luck.

Most people find by going to be at the same time and getting up at the same time with no naps your body should adjust to sleeping at normal times.

If you have more energy though, use it up someway and you should become drowsy.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes! Take some advice from a former insomniac that has tried everything under the sun to get a good night sleep (and has finally succeeded!):

After everything else fails and you're ready to do whatever it takes, purchase the international bestseller, I Can Make You Sleep by Paul McKenna. The tips he gives are pretty basic but they work. In the back of the book is a hypnosis CD. It is a lifesaver. If you can get over the corniness of listening to it every night for two weeks then it will help you.

Basically, not sleeping (not falling asleep easily, or waking in the night) is a habit. A habit that you've gotten into. You need to reprogram yourself to get out of that habit. Sleeping pills and sleep aids don't help with that long term. Although melatonin in the short term is good.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am the last person to talk to about sleep because I have the world's WORST sleep habits. I go to bed about midnight and wake up at 6:15. I enjoy a 45 min. nap in the afternoon if I can swing it. I have gotten in that silly habit of sleeping on the couch and not in my bed, which can't be a good thing. But my issues were even worse than what they are now a year ago. I was actually falling asleep at work and doing crazy things when I was asleep at home. Come to find out the meds I was taking for blood pressure has a side effect of drowsiness. I was taken 4 pills a day. I changed doctors and the new doctor couldn't believe I was taking this certain med. I switched and never fall asleep in the middle of the day (unless I want to) and I feel a ton better.

So...are you taking any medications?
  • Ynnep1000
    Options
    Download some sleep hypnosis apps and listen to them. They really help although they seem cheesy. The Paul Mckenna book and CD that was reccomended earlier does work too. I hate going to bed, I stay up way too late every night regardless of what time I have to get up in the morning, the hypnosis stuff is the only thing that helps me.
  • asmgrant
    Options
    Download some sleep hypnosis apps and listen to them. They really help although they seem cheesy. The Paul Mckenna book and CD that was reccomended earlier does work too. I hate going to bed, I stay up way too late every night regardless of what time I have to get up in the morning, the hypnosis stuff is the only thing that helps me.

So do I, although I've gotten slightly better.
  • FitChic13
    FitChic13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As a shift worker sleep has always been an issue for me (um, typing this at midnight!) Here's are some things that work for me.
    1. Hot bath with lavender oil- knocks me right out
    2. Chamomile tea
    3. Meditation - slows the mind
    4. When I'm at my best I do get up by 7 am even on days off I work at 5am on some days so the change isn't too large.
    3. Saw my Naturopath & got a non addictive sleep aid

I agree with what others have said. When I spoke with my Dr. having problems getting to sleep is insomnia. If you go to sleep quickly but can't stay asleep that is a different sleep condition.

Good luck!