Replacing Diet Sodas

Options
Recently I posted about myself having side-effects from artificial sweetners and having the problem with diet pop as well. I often crave a crisp diet mt dew in the morning after breakfast and I have found that I can not do that now because of the sweetner that it contains. I think that I really am addicted more to the carbonation than the pop itself. So, does anyone havev any low-calorie drink ideas that I could use to replace the diet pop???

Replies

• Coliecat
    Coliecat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way with diet coke. It's my morning go-to. sometimes i replace it with carbonated water, either plain or flavored. i know the flavored ones have artificial sweetener as well, but i think they have less of it. either way, it's a baby step in the right direction.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water with 4 oz Powerade or Gatorade...............gives you the bubbles, a bit of electrolytes, and about 28 calories.

Or sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime is refreshing. 0 calories.
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    Not sure what kind of artificial sweeteners you've tried but

http://www.zevia.com/

Sweeten with >A miracle plant. We think so anyway. Stevia is a little green plant from the sunflower family and originally native to South America. The stevia leaf is up to 300x sweeter than sugar but has no caloric value or effect on blood sugar levels. Super safe? Yes. Sweet? Yes. Worthy of a trophy? We think so. For more info on stevia http://www.zevia.com/stevia <
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Sobe Lifewater :)
  • bijoux2711
    Options
    I highly recommend plain mineral water flavoured with different combos of fruit. My personal favs are strawberry, lemon and peach, and pineapple, lychee and mint but there's really no limit to what you could do. The flavour of the fruit infuses with the water and makes for a refreshing but flavourful alternative.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Mt Dew addict! I switched to Kroger brand Lemon-Lime carbonated water to wean myself off. I now haven't had any soda for 5-6 months. I really like Sparkling Ice carbonated water too. The orange mango tastes like Sunkist soda & my other fave is their Black Raspberry. It can be done! :)
  • milowen
    milowen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas!

I've been using a Ninja drink blender since Christmas and have been buying a lot less soda. I try to keep smooth ingredients really simple and handy. So as soon as bananas are ripe, I throw them into a Ziploc and freeze them. I also keep frozen strawberries. I'll throw a big cup of crushed ice in w/ some milk and it's a great pick me up and meal replacement.
    Sometimes I'll use ice, milk, and a powdered coffee mix. My favorite very low calorie choice is to use a packet like Crystal Light or grape Hawaiian punch mixed with ice and a sparkling water to make a tangy slush. I also freeze small cups of Powerade and then throw them in the blender to eat like an italian ice.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ive given up sodas except once a week on my cheat day. i used flavored water (crystal lite 5 calorie), zero calorie gaterade, sobe life water when i get tired of water
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water. You could flavor it yourself with fruit! Make sure if you buy the flavored kinds that you read the label and check for any artificial sweeteners.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've heard even sparkling water can lead to bloating and stomach issues. It took me a while but I really try to only drink water or unsweetened tea. Sometimes I drink milk but try to limit that as well. Everyone once in a while I have a few sips of a coke zero but it's much better if I stay away from all that stuff. Once you force yourself away from it for a good month it does not taste as good, I promise. Those artificial sweeteners are bad for all of us.
  • livinglife1001
    Options
    Fuze low calorie version..My favorite is Tropical Punch. It's so good and has vitamins etc. I also like VitaminZero orange flavored water.
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I was so addicted with this diet stuff that i use to have minimum to 2-3 diet cokes/day.

Now, i have a glass of Soya Milk which made my life more health and beautiful.