Airplane seatbelts? Bring em on!

Options
cerrajean
cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
A little NSV I discovered when I flew a bunch in December- no need to ask for a seatbelt extender, no uncomfortably tight belt, and even a little bit of belt hangin' out the back when I snapped the buckle!

Anyone else celebrate this, or am I weird?

Replies

• jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    Before I lost weight I always worried that people hated seeing my headed to the seat next to them. I have no reservations flying now.

Congrats on the win!
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    we'll have to wait and see if I celebrate this as well when I fly in April!
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    I dread flying because I take upy seat and part of my neighbors. I can't put the armrest all the way down and can't bring the table down. I went on a trip with my boss and booked my seat a few rows back so she wouldn't see it. I have 140 pounds to lose and am so disgusted with myself. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I'm not the only one I am flying in February. Hopefully the arm rest will go all the way foe. I am on week one of my new healthy lifestyle. Keep up the good work
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, it feels GREAT to not be afraid of seatbelts! I still have more to lose, but seatbelts and seat widths no longer scare me. I have a profound sense of freedom not having to fear that stuff anymore.

lynnie165, you'll get there, too. :)
  • cerrajean
    Options
    I dread flying because I take upy seat and part of my neighbors. I can't put the armrest all the way down and can't bring the table down. I went on a trip with my boss and booked my seat a few rows back so she wouldn't see it. I have 140 pounds to lose and am so disgusted with myself. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I'm not the only one I am flying in February. Hopefully the arm rest will go all the way foe. I am on week one of my new healthy lifestyle. Keep up the good work

You're on the right track! Once you get the ball rolling you'll see just how awesome it makes you feel and there will be no stopping you!
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    Thanks I am going to do it this time. I deserve it !!!
  • starmaid
    Options
    OMG, I totally agree! The seatbelts and the tray tables! I was so nervous about flying to Canada with Matthew about him seeing all that. I was sooo embarrassed. Luckily, the seatbelt did buckle, but just barely. I played it off like I couldn't buckle it b/c it was on the right side, and I had him click it for me, lol. But when we put our trays down, it was clear that his was flat and mine was not. I could've died.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    I took a flight from NYC to Chicago with my boss once. The seatbelt didn't buckle so I hid it from the attendant and flew unbuckled (and scared to death) the whole way. You think that would have been my aha moment. I am glad time has finally arrived. She's right I am gonna do it!!!
  • VikkiGettingFit
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this fear. This and not fitting on a roller coaster. I haven't been to an amusement park in years, but I am going to go next summer with no fear. I WILL stay on track so I can save my worries for bigger things.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    I know what you mean. U go girl 2012 is our year!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    That is definitely something worth celebrating! I went to the doctor recently and was thrilled that the nurse didn't have to go searching for a BP cuff that would fit around my arm!
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear while flying! I'm excited to lose just for knowing I will never feel that way again!
  • cerrajean
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this fear. This and not fitting on a roller coaster. I haven't been to an amusement park in years, but I am going to go next summer with no fear. I WILL stay on track so I can save my worries for bigger things.

OMG fitting into roller coasters is a motivation of mine too- being asked to exit the ride before it even started because the bar wouldn't latch around me was humiliating. At least I wasn't the only one, but it was then just me and another big dude, just waiting for all the people having FUN to get back.
  • spookystitches
    spookystitches Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go you! That's awesome! :)

Never had problem with the belt itself, but the armrests are always an issue when I fly, and everyone else has plenty of room!

Rollercoasters - You guys aren't alone there either. I rode a ride at Disney where you share a bar with your seatmate. The bar closed to fit me, but my friend was much smaller and spent the whole ride sliding back and forth freely. I was so embarassed.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

OMG fitting into roller coasters is a motivation of mine too- being asked to exit the ride before it even started because the bar wouldn't latch around me was humiliating. At least I wasn't the only one, but it was then just me and another big dude, just waiting for all the people having FUN to get back.

Probably the most embarrassing moment of my life! They had me get up, move to a "bigger" seat, then had like three people trying to jam the seat around me. Finally they had to ask me to get off all together. To walk away in front of all those people because I was too fat to ride... horrifying.
  • southrider
    southrider Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In sept of 2011 I went to Cancun with my best friend and the seat belt didn't make it over my belly. I felt so disgusted with myself. I didn't ask the attendant for an extender (I was so embarrased). Hopefully on Feb 24 when I fly to Las Vegas I will buckle it up!! Wish me luck!!

Congrats to those who can click it it now!! :wink:
  • ruthnor
    ruthnor Posts: 35
    Options
    I used to be able to click it (barely), but the last time I flew I had to ask for an extender and it was so humiliating. The next time I fly probably won't be until this summer, and by then I'll hopefully be at my goal weight and that freaking thing better buckle!

And, about roller coasters, oh my god I think half my fear of roller coasters is rooted in not being able to fit in them properly. I got moved to the big seat, and didn't *really* fit, but could squeeze enough to pretend I did, so I rode anyway. And was pretty much screaming horrified of falling out the entire time. :( Maybe that will also change eventually haha.
  • cerrajean
    Options
    Good luck to those of you trying out your click-ability soon!

One tip I can offer, though I'm not sure how legal or ethical it is, when you ask for an extender, keep it. They generally work the same from airline to airline, so if you're making connections and changing planes, you only have to ask for it once.

Another tip, ask for it while you're searching for your seat, or getting settled in- there are generally few people around, and they're usually more concerned with finding their seats and stowing their bags.
  • ainleytopper
    Options
    I have always dreaded the seatbelt problem and the traynever comes down. I also have never used the toilet on a plane as I don't know how big they are inside Long flights would be a problem!
  • ZoeSmith321
    ZoeSmith321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!
    I'm flying on 1st March and dreading it. Not only the seatbelt but the folding tray! Hopefully get a few more lb's off by then and see what happens x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!