Worst Dieting/Nutrition Advice Ever

Seen on a public site complete with spelling errors. Enjoy.

S***** • Nacogdoches, Texas •

if anyone opens an Anatomy textbook, or a nutrition textbook, it will tell you healthy eating!!!

eat every 2-3 hours to keep your body out of starvation mode (which becomes onset after about 5 hours). your body "thinks" it's going to stave and never get food again so it starts storing all the fat and sugar from your last meal. meanwhile, a few hours later (or 5-7 hours later) you eat another meal. then you take another long break. your body keeps storing all that fat. and yes, doing basic routine of living you burn approx 2000 calories--which is why you can injest 2000 calories daily and not gain 5 pounds a day. (yes cal intake is different for everybody).

*DISCLAIMER* i realize not everyone follows the same program/plan, and i realize the eating every 2-3 hours part is actually a pretty good idea, HOWEVER, the point of this is to remind us to research advice before regurgitating it as "fact".

Replies

• people told me i looked ill when i went down too 138 llb so went too 175 lllb so back on diet again too reach 145 llb currently 156 llb
  • Oh dear.

My favourite bit is the bit about going into starvation mode after 5 hours.
  • Don't eat after 7pm. I'm not used to eat that early & normally we eat around 8-9:30pm but nothing happened to my body. Such a ridiculous advice.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    "You can have everything in moderation!"
    Sorry but with my mile long list of food allergies and sensitivities, 'moderation' does not apply.... definitely not with everyone....
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Instead of eating breakfast, drink a coke instead.
    It has ZERO FAT!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Instead of eating breakfast, drink a coke instead.
    It has ZERO FAT!

Like.....TOTALLY! Fir-sure! LOL!!!!
  • Instead of eating breakfast, drink a coke instead.
    It has ZERO FAT!

^^ this made me laugh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    "You can have everything in moderation!"
    Sorry but with my mile long list of food allergies and sensitivities, 'moderation' does not apply.... definitely not with everyone....

I agree. I also have allergies... and definitely not able to eat everything in moderation... !!!!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    How about just don't eat at all, that works apparently..
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Cold left-over pizza has no calories or fat!

^ Just about every college kid I've ever talked to. :laugh:
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    "Eating after 9pm will make you fat"
    I think the constantly eating/grazing throughout the day made me fat- lol.

Glad to say I do eat after 9pm now because on somedays if I didn't I wouldn't have dinner!!!
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    ^^^^ Cold/left over pizza has no cals

:sad:

WHY?!?!? I so wish this was true!!!
  • 25kyla
    25kyla Posts: 7
    Eat every 2/3 hours???? thats wat got me here in the 1st place!!!!xx
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Yeah, that was terrible!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    Hmmmmm....I eat every 3 hours starting at 7.30 am and i manage to keep losing weight..6 meals a day counting my protein shake at 10.30 before bed.
  • bkt529
    bkt529 Posts: 5

eat every 2-3 hours

Some people need to eat often, like my sister. She is borderline diabetic and will pass out if she does not eat often. Me, on he other hand, I don't eat enough food and therefore I am overweight. Doesn't really make sense does it?
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    I think the worst advice I've ever got is to detox every morning and not eat at all until 2pm.. I just couldn't handle that even if I tried I'd be dead by that time. Maybe if you don't do a lot and don't exercise but by 9am I've done 40 odd mins of intense cardio and I'm starving!
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Eating every 2/3 hours is only necessary if you eat a high-carb diet. If you don't eat regularly on a high-carb diet, you get the shakes, lightheadedness, nausea etc because the carbs have made your insulin level spike and then drop.
    If you eat a high-fat, medium-protein, low-carb diet (Paleo/Caveman diet) you can go for 16 hours without needing to eat. You still feel hungry, but you don't get any of the unpleasant side effects.
    I eat a 16/8 fasting schedule - eat at 7pm, then fast through the night and morning until 11am - it's really not difficult, as long as you're eating low-carb in the first place. I generally eat less than 70g of carbs a day and have lost over 20lbs.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    worst dieting advice i've ever gotten? my step monster telling me her cheese, ham, bacon, tomato and ranch smothered salad with maybe 5 pieces of lettuce was healthier than my veggie tacos.

uh. right. k.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    "If you order it [dessert], it doesn't have any calories for me because it's your dessert!" - my wife

But seriously, the worst advice I received when I started, "Don't eat a lot of protein, you should eat more carbs so your body has more energy."