In Need of a Bit of Help

Options
Alright, it's serious time for me for a minute. I think I'm starting to get a problem. I know I shouldn't be worried but I am totally scared to death of gaining weight back. I've recently been trying to up my caloric intake and am slightly worried if the food that I am consuming/amount of it will make me gain weight back.

Can anyone experienced with this sort of thing take a look at my diary and see if there might be any complications?

For the record, I work out around 3-4 days a week doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays if I can make it. The other days I usually don't do a whole lot. I might do some sit ups or push ups here or there but nothing major.

Also, my sleep schedule is kind of awkward so I usually end up eating mostly at night. I don't get to bed sometimes until like 4-6 and then I'll wake up between 12-3.

Replies

• happyhiram
    Options
    Bump?
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    Can someone tell me what "bump" means. I keep seeing it in posts and dont understand what it is.
  • mp13cat
    mp13cat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating when you were losing weight vs what you are eating now?
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    "Bump" puts the message at the front of the line again.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    "bump" is a way of bookmarking, or bringing it back up to the top of the "recent" list.

In terms of your diary, it's good a lot of positives - plenty of good protein, maybe just need a few more veggies. What are all the quick added calories for?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at your diary and it's pretty healthy- if anything you are undereating. The workouts you do 3-4 days a week are pretty intense so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just work your way up slowly- add 50 cals every couple of days, split your added cals between the days you burn them and the days you are inactive so it doesn't seem like so much to eat. And keep filling your cals with as many healthy cals as possible, and really you'll be fine.

Keep a regular weigh in date and if the scale starts going up, make some adjustments. Easy as pie! :smile:
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    Thanks, mystery solved :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little, in my opinion. Minimum calories per day for a man is 1800 according to the American College of Sports Medicine, and you seem to be well below that most days, especially leaving rather large deficits on exercise days.

Individual foods matter much less than total calories.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    First of all Bump means bumping the thread back to the top so people will see it.

Second, to the OP, you are not eating enough. What you are experiencing is called an obsession of the mind and it can effect many areas of your life.

If you can not seem to be able to let worrying about this go, then it may be time to talk to a professional, either a nutritionist or a therapist. 20 year old active males should not be so worried about gaining weight. :)

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what "bump" means. I keep seeing it in posts and dont understand what it is.

Forums list threads based on when the last post was. "Bump" simply bumps it up to the top to give it more visibility and keep it from falling off of the first page without adding any meaningful content.

To the OP - You don't need to worry about it as long as you keep with what MFP recommends for you and keep tracking your weight/measurements. Increase your intake slowly and watch your weight for any fluctuations (beyond the daily pound or two), not only until you stop losing, but to make sure you maintain your weight (both from losing more and from gaining). Also, make sure to eat back most, if not all, of your exercise calories from BJJ, since that will eat through half of your daily allotment in no time.

Finally, don't get too hung up on the number on the scale. Make sure to measure yourself (waist, arms, body fat %, etc), so you don't mistakenly attribute muscle weight gain to fat weight gain. Being "overweight" (according to the BMI) because of muscle is not a bad thing.