Gain on the scales the morning after an intense workout?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the day/morning after an intense workout, that uses weights, they see a gain on the scales? I do Kettleworx using a 4/5kg kettlebell and I seem to. As of Saturday morning, I was down 2.5lbs since I weighed in on Tuesday and then on Saturday I did the Kettleworx Cardio workout and the next morning I saw a 0.75lb gain. Then that same day (yesterday) I did the Kettleworx Core (I know, no gap but I'm having the next 2 days as rest) and then this morning saw that I'm up another 1lb on the scales.

I've been well within my calories both days so it isn't like I've gained fat and is likely water retention. I know someone else that does Kettleworx and she said that after Core she went up 3lbs on the scales the next day, just wondering if anyone else found the same with any similar type of intense workout? And if so, when did you see it come off again?

I have to say, I'm not normally a daily weigher as I broke that habit but I have been this week because, out of interest, I'm trying to look at the things that cause weight fluctuations for me. There isn't any real reason for it, I'm just one of those people that likes to know how things work and why!

Replies

• rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed that also, I have speculated it might be fluid. I guess its a lesson not to open your xmas presents early.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more on Monday, the day after my long slow run. Its probably the 4,000kcals i ate :laugh:
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm one of these people who likes to know how and why things happen so I get why I've gained this morning from yesterday but as I've not taken note of daily weights before, I don't know how long it lasts which was my main question really. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sounds like you got your answer, but I'll just say yes, I always weigh more after I do an intense strength work out. I've learned to stay away from the scale after my strength training days. :smile:
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. Thanks everyone!
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    more accurate to just weigh once a week but yeah I do the same i weigh myself too often!!!

:laugh:
  • HoneyDancer
    Options
    Great information because I was wondering the same thing.
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week officially but I've been weighing every day for the past 4-5 days just to see how my body responds to different things and see if I can see what things cause fluctuations. It doesn't bother me, is just my science/experiment/i need to know why and how things work side of me
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week officially but I've been weighing every day for the past 4-5 days just to see how my body responds to different things and see if I can see what things cause fluctuations. It doesn't bother me, is just my science/experiment/i need to know why and how things work side of me

Out of interest, what results did you find? Did you gain slightly the day after exercise?

To the OP, I definitely think it is to do with fluid around the muscles regarding weighing the day after a workout. It always goes back down mind.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily for a long time because like you, I like to see how my body responds to different things. My body is usually pretty consistent but a few things will throw it off. What I have noticed:

1. After eating a meal in a restaurant, I will "gain" 2-3 pounds for 2 days or so. Of course, this is just due to the sodium bloating me but interesting nonetheless. After traveling for work or vacation where I eat lots of restaurant meals, it takes more like 4 days for me to normalize.

2. After a big workout, which for me is every Monday night is my most strenuous one of the week, I will be up a pound the next morning. This settles down by day 2. See above muscles retaining water explanation.

3. After an evening of drinking I will "lose" a pound or two due to dehydration.
  • spartanphotog
    spartanphotog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I was getting so depressed about the weight gain after my long work outs and staying in my calories.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this, I work 12.5hr shifts the majority of which are on my feet, I knew I was retaining water (swollen feet much lol!) but a little voice in the back of my mind was shouting "excuses excuses" for my whopping gain of 2lbs over 2 days. I'm going to wait until I've had at least 2 days off for my body to get back to normal before weighing from now on :)
  • tratrojan
    Options
    Whew...thanks for this...just came back in town from a Zumba convention where I basically danced non-stop for three days straight and came back to see I "gained" 2lbs. Say word?!? I figured it was temporary but I also like to know why.