Worst Dieting/Nutrition Advice Ever

Options
2»

Replies

• Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I remember reading in a MAJOR women's glossie magazine a few years ago about the sweets/candy diet which was what made successful models. Basically they ate sugary sweets and diet coke because it gave them 'energy' but had little fat and no carbs that bloated them. I swear to god it was saying this was a good idea.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    "It's easy! All you have to do is..."
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was told to rarely eat meat, it worked for a while but I now thied more protein and I'm trying to increase it! X
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm?????Interesting....... If only we were still cavemen:(
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    See above :)
    Eating every 2/3 hours is only necessary if you eat a high-carb diet. If you don't eat regularly on a high-carb diet, you get the shakes, lightheadedness, nausea etc because the carbs have made your insulin level spike and then drop.
    If you eat a high-fat, medium-protein, low-carb diet (Paleo/Caveman diet) you can go for 16 hours without needing to eat. You still feel hungry, but you don't get any of the unpleasant side effects.
    I eat a 16/8 fasting schedule - eat at 7pm, then fast through the night and morning until 11am - it's really not difficult, as long as you're eating low-carb in the first place. I generally eat less than 70g of carbs a day and have lost over 20lbs.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find that I listened FAR too much to advice when I started out. Everyone's bodies are different, so what works for others won't work for me. For example, I did low carbing for a whole and I have never been as ill in my life. Also, I was told to eat every 2-3 hours, but actually I don't have much of an appetite and it's better for me to eat when I feel like eating.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    For me the worst would be a toss up between:

Mono-diets - if you only eat one thing (even if it's chocolate) then your body magically fails to absorb any nutrients and you will lose weight!

Cold food diet - If you eat all your food very cold or frozen then you burn more calories just by eating it!

The candy/diet coke diet used to work well for me in the short term when I did dance seriously. Before shows I could have a week of 10 hour rehearsals and need LOTS of energy. But I had to wear lycra and not look bloated. So it was jellybabies and marshmallows till they were coming out our ears! We were on a constant buzz but felt really light and empty - I actually liked it. But no, not healthy for the long term.
  • MrObundles
    MrObundles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat only food which you can grasp within your reach and only raw meat.....hmmm cave man dieting:laugh:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eating every 2/3 hours is only necessary if you eat a high-carb diet. If you don't eat regularly on a high-carb diet, you get the shakes, lightheadedness, nausea etc because the carbs have made your insulin level spike and then drop.

I eat a relatively high carb diet (55%+) and I do not feel shaky, lightheaded, etc. after 2-3 hours without eating (unless I'm exercising intensely for those 2-3 hours, and often not even then). If you eat a diet high in refined carbs, with no fiber, you may run into this problem, but if you're eating a more reasonable diet, including raw fruits and veggies, plus a reasonable amount of fat and protein at each meal, going more than 2-3 hours without eating isn't a problem for most people (special health issues aside).
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who swear by the Paleo diet (caveman style) and the results they've shown are amazing, they too like me run alot but I couldn't do it- I heart potatoes, cheese and pizza too much.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    my favorite part is that our bodies think they will "stave".
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options

*DISCLAIMER* i realize not everyone follows the same program/plan, and i realize the eating every 2-3 hours part is actually a pretty good idea, HOWEVER, the point of this is to remind us to research advice before regurgitating it as "fact".

And to use spell check before posting to a public site.
  • Ajessie
    Ajessie Posts: 54
    Options
    LMAO!!! I love this one :) My favorite thus far!
  • Ajessie
    Ajessie Posts: 54
    Options
    How about just don't eat at all, that works apparently..

LMAO! I love this one, its my favorite thus far :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating breakfast, drink a coke instead.
    It has ZERO FAT!

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :noway: :laugh:
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    starvation mode after 5 hours? yikes!

I swear by eating ever 2-3 hours, though... just healthy foods in small portions (200-300 calories), easy on the carbs. It keeps me energized and satisfied, plus I eat less when it gets to my one larger meal of the day (sometimes dinner, sometimes lunch). It's not the same as grazing- just eating whenever you feel like it throughout the day, it's well planned snacks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you eat a high-fat, medium-protein, low-carb diet (Paleo/Caveman diet) you can go for 16 hours without needing to eat. You still feel hungry, but you don't get any of the unpleasant side effects.
    I eat a 16/8 fasting schedule - eat at 7pm, then fast through the night and morning until 11am - it's really not difficult, as long as you're eating low-carb in the first place. I generally eat less than 70g of carbs a day and have lost over 20lbs.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Worst advice: detox your body with a cleanse

So, I did the Master cleanse (lemon, water, cayenne pepper and maple syrup) and ended up at the ER after 7 days because I totally messed up my body. I did vomit for 3 days and the doctor prescribed me anti-nausea drug they usually give to cancer patients.
    Worst idea ever!!!!
  • LizV32
    LizV32 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My Grandma told me not to eat after 6 p.m, considering some days I don't get home till 5:30 that would never work for me...and I sometimes need an evening snack! LOL