i have a small question???? ........ not vegetarin...... nor

Options
i use peanut butter and tofu and seafood, i looooooooove seafood as substitutes but how do you not offend someone because you dont want to eat their meat?!?!?! (no jokes please) i think that i offended my mother in law and my grandma inlaw because im picky on the type of stuff i eat but i do eat everything!!! and i mean EVERYTHING but i have put myself of a diet because i dont really eat a ton of meat like a normal person... im just a veggie lover and not much of a meat lover

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would not even mention it, just take what you will eat. There are lots of vegetarians in the world today. Don't expect them to make special meals for you and don't make a big deal out of it. Try to make it so they don't notice what you are actually eating.
  • Chelseazavala
    Options
    If you still eat fish,say your a pescetarian
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    If you still eat fish,say your a pescetarian

^^this. And praise the heck out of everything else that they make. Some moms love to cook for their family and eating together can be a bonding experience. For some people food is love!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Just eat what they fix that you like, and don't eat what you don't like...and don't make a big deal out of it.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    i did that last night and they really didnt like it and kept giving me faces!!! i do eat all meats but once in a while when my body feels like it really needs to
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As an earlier poster said, praise the hell out of things they make that you do eat, and don't mention the things you don't. Just take what you want and enjoy it. Also, some people are going to be offended no matter what you do, don't worry about them. I once dated a guy whose mother was a terrible cook. I politely choked down whatever she made and said thank you, but that was never good enough for her. That was her problem, not mine.

Finally, I'm not sure why you say eating a ton of meat is "normal." Most of the world doesn't eat nearly the amount of meat and dairy that Americans do.
  • veganlad
    veganlad Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you really want to offend your mother, become a vegan. Badump-bump. Seriously, If she knows what you eat and tries to force cow on you, that's her problem. Politely decline and move on.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Don't worry about offending them. It's your body. If someone was offended that I wouldn't eat their fried chicken, I don't care. You don't have to be rude and turn your nose up just politely skip over it. If it really bothers them and gets brought up just explain to them that you aren't a big meat eater.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i use peanut butter and tofu and seafood, i looooooooove seafood as substitutes but how do you not offend someone because you dont want to eat their meat?!?!?! (no jokes please) i think that i offended my mother in law and my grandma inlaw because im picky on the type of stuff i eat but i do eat everything!!! and i mean EVERYTHING but i have put myself of a diet because i dont really eat a ton of meat like a normal person... im just a veggie lover and not much of a meat lover
    You need to just make sure close friends and family know your feelings and that there is mutual respect.
    Usually others who care about you won't purposefully throw meat your way, knowing your preference for veggies, then manufacture some drama over it.
    Good Luck to you!
  • alapoint89
    Options
    If you really want to offend your mother, become a vegan. Badump-bump. Seriously, If she knows what you eat and tries to force cow on you, that's her problem. Politely decline and move on.
    ^^this is sorta it lol
    i couldnt be a vegan are you nuts lol!!! jk
    and the family i married into are HUUUUUGE meat lovers and potato lovers
  • Bentley2718
    Options

This totally depends on the mother or mother-in-law. My MIL is a diehard meat eater, but cheerfully accepts that I am not. When my husband and I visit her (she lives in another state), my MIL and I shop for and cook things that I can eat together. She always tries what I/we make and seems to really enjoy it. She treats it as an opportunity to try new things. Yes, I am AMAZINGLY lucky to have a MIL with such a great attitude.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have offended my mother by not eating meat, thats her problem. I love her to pieces but I am not going to eat in a manner which pleases her, she got to control me the first 18 years of my life, now its my turn.

One thing I do make sure and do when I go anywhere to eat is bring my own food if I find out meat is on the menu. Just because I choose to eat the way I do does not mean I expect everyone to do the same. (I have a family member that will not only do that, but make insulting comments as people eat)

Just explain to them what you are doing and WHY you are doing it, they will come around.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    Don't worry about offending them. It's your body. If someone was offended that I wouldn't eat their fried chicken, I don't care. You don't have to be rude and turn your nose up just politely skip over it. If it really bothers them and gets brought up just explain to them that you aren't a big meat eater.
    oh my gosh they know lol they just want me to eat it and if i pass it up they make the look of are you seriously not going to eat what i cook oyu oh and they load it up with TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS AND TOOOOOOOOOONS OF SALT
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    oh my gosh they know lol they just want me to eat it and if i pass it up they make the look of are you seriously not going to eat what i cook oyu oh and they load it up with TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS AND TOOOOOOOOOONS OF SALT

Honestly, my guess is that they're looking to be offended. My experience is that if someone generally likes you, and you are polite about it (this is important), they won't be offended if you don't eat "their food." If they don't like you for some other reason, then your eating habits just become an excuse to express that.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I have offended my mother by not eating meat, thats her problem. I love her to pieces but I am not going to eat in a manner which pleases her, she got to control me the first 18 years of my life, now its my turn.

One thing I do make sure and do when I go anywhere to eat is bring my own food if I find out meat is on the menu. Just because I choose to eat the way I do does not mean I expect everyone to do the same. (I have a family member that will not only do that, but make insulting comments as people eat)

Just explain to them what you are doing and WHY you are doing it, they will come around.
    i did that yesterday and ate the mash and spinach.............. well my little girl stole if off my plate
  • alapoint89
    Options

Honestly, my guess is that they're looking to be offended. My experience is that if someone generally likes you, and you are polite about it (this is important), they won't be offended if you don't eat "their food." If they don't like you for some other reason, then your eating habits just become an excuse to express that.
    NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    i did that last night and they really didnt like it and kept giving me faces!!! i do eat all meats but once in a while when my body feels like it really needs to

This definitely would not offend my family...sounds like it's their problem, not yours.
  • alapoint89
    Options

This definitely would not offend my family...sounds like it's their problem, not yours.
    ya
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

ya

Maybe try calmy explaining to them why it's important to you?
  • alapoint89
    Options

ya

Maybe try calmy explaining to them why it's important to you?
    score!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!