800 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've seen plenty of people suggesting a change in the types of foods (which is good), a few suggesting eating even less calories (which is bad) and no one really telling the OP she needs to move more. Exercise builds muscle, muscle burns more calories and increases your metabolism. Instead of trying to cut even more calories, find something to do that gets your body moving. Many colleges have a free gym on campus, you can use the school's track to walk, you can use chairs and your own body weight for resistance training. The solution to losing weight isn't always cutting calories.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    800 calories is a great way to train your body to survive on very few calories, guaranteeing that you're going to be stuck eating very few calories. If you want to be "dieting" for the rest of your life, lose muscle mass, and look like you weigh more than you do... then go right ahead.

Or you could to as other suggested here, and exercise and eat with a small deficit. If you have 10 pounds go to, your body does not have enough fat to support a large calorie deficit.

I'm twice your age. I should have a slow metabolism. I used to think I had a slow metabolism because when I greatly reduced my calories, I lost weight very, very, very slowly. I used to aim for 800 calories a day and eventually got down to 130# and wore a size 8. This time around, I ate 1800-2000 calories, got a good amount of exercise, and at 130#, I wear a size 2 or 4. I retained muscle mass while losing fat, and have a better metabolism than I did 10 years ago. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/449570-mfp-mythbusters-losing-weight-fast-exercise-calories-girl

Get a $10 crock pot, some frozen veggies ($2 per 16 oz bag) and boneless chicken breast ($2 a pound if you shop sales), maybe a bottle of marinade for extra flavor or some cheese to sprinkle on top. You can get four meals out of that, at just about a dollar a meal. If you want less mess, they sell liner bags you can use in the crock pot. Cook a pile, eat what you want, and pull the bag out to put in your mini-fridge for leftovers.
    Amen sistah!!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I see a dietician on a monthly basis. For me personally she said she would never take me below 1200 calories. I'm not a medical person but before I went that low on calories, I would seek the advice of a physician or dietician or some cute pre-med student at school. Please take into consideration.

I come from a long line of yo-yo dieting eating ridiculous low calories and then would make it to my goal and to start eating normal again caused me to gain more than I ever had before. Sometimes slow and steady may seem a hard way to do it but honestly it's the best way. There are many long term effects you could cause your body by undereating.

I believe the whole MFP mantra is about achieving your goal in a nutritous way that will allow you to sustain your goal in maintenance.

Both of my children with to college with a small refrigerator, a small crockpot and a small indoor grill. The small George Foreman is a great size for college students. Also, with a slightly bigger one with interchangeable plates you can make anything and everything. If money is a problem, try yardsales or Goodwill or Salvation Army. Heck I will even send you the money for one if you promise to buy one or I'll buy you one on Amazon.com and have it shipped to you.

Also some type of exercise is a must. I know you are probably walking to classes or such but try to get an exercise routine in the mix.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Also, here is a post about exercise from one of my friends on my wall this morning.

"I just read in the newspaper that a study showed the benefit of walking in place during TV commercials. It burns 148 calories in 25 minutes! Now that's using wasted time for fitness."
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    800 calories is a great way to train your body to survive on very few calories, guaranteeing that you're going to be stuck eating very few calories. If you want to be "dieting" for the rest of your life, lose muscle mass, and look like you weigh more than you do... then go right ahead.

Or you could to as other suggested here, and exercise and eat with a small deficit. If you have 10 pounds go to, your body does not have enough fat to support a large calorie deficit.

I'm twice your age. I should have a slow metabolism. I used to think I had a slow metabolism because when I greatly reduced my calories, I lost weight very, very, very slowly. I used to aim for 800 calories a day and eventually got down to 130# and wore a size 8. This time around, I ate 1800-2000 calories, got a good amount of exercise, and at 130#, I wear a size 2 or 4. I retained muscle mass while losing fat, and have a better metabolism than I did 10 years ago. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/449570-mfp-mythbusters-losing-weight-fast-exercise-calories-girl

Get a $10 crock pot, some frozen veggies ($2 per 16 oz bag) and boneless chicken breast ($2 a pound if you shop sales), maybe a bottle of marinade for extra flavor or some cheese to sprinkle on top. You can get four meals out of that, at just about a dollar a meal. If you want less mess, they sell liner bags you can use in the crock pot. Cook a pile, eat what you want, and pull the bag out to put in your mini-fridge for leftovers.

Please please please read the above post and think about your life. You are so young and i hate to see you get the wrong idea of how the body works so early. None of us are experts, but any nutritionist or doctor would tell you 800 calories is just not enough food for vital nutrition. The people that have done it will tell you...you will feel weak and tired...Sure you might get skinny...but do you really want to be skinny with not muscle, structure, weak, and tired? There is another way. You dont have to eat all bad food. Maybe eat what you can and supplement with fruits, peanut butter, etc to get you to about 1400 calories a day and do a 20-30 min workout a day. This will start boosting that metabolism and getting those pounds off without sacrificing your energy and nutrients. As the above post states....you can lose weight eating as much as 2000 calories a day if you get moving! Do a little more research before you decide to only eat 800 calories...please please please.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I prefer 800 cals per meal.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    dont stick too same calorie intake daily increase and decrease so you body dont get use too it also i only drink water and do not snack also keep your meals too no more than 400 calories and no more than 4% fat

There is some crazy advice being thrown around here but this is awesome. Can you please tell me why she should not have more than 4% fat?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    One more question: to everyone who said she should lower her sodium, how will this help her fat loss?
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly
    I'm not going to read through the entire thread, so forgive me if I have missed something.

I just had a nosey at your tracker and I see you add items as Quick Calories. I think you'll be so much better off noting exactly what you are eating in order to pin point where/what is not working for you.
    You also say that you drink a lot of milk. Depending on whether it is full fat or half fat, you have to count your milk calories.

I really believe that if you start tracking correctly and noting absolutely everything the pass your lips, you're on your way to solving your problem.

Is there any way that you could acquire a 2 plate stove? IT would be so much better if you could cook pasta at home and add dressings & fruit vegetables. It will be much cheaper, more filling and kinder to your purse! Microwave a fist size potato and add a small knob of butter and cottage cheese and tuna. Delicious!!

Water? You have to try to drink your 8 glasses of fresh water from the tap of bottle. Nothing added - just good old plain water.

Good luck hey!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    One more question: to everyone who said she should lower her sodium, how will this help her fat loss?

VUCig.gif

Is the answer that it won't but may give a psychological boost as it helps with water retention which translates to a loss on the scale?
  • courbear25
    Options
    Hi Kelli
    I think everyone knows how you feel. We have all been at the point where we feel some drastic measure would be the only way for us to reach our goal. But have been down that road more than once, it never helps in the long term. The only way to truly reach your goal and love your body is to lose the excuses and learn how to institute a healthy discipline. I have just applied this principle to my weight loss efforts. As long as I am consistent and disciplined, I feel healthier, happier and I lose weight at a healthy pace.
    As for the financial issue, my family is low income living in an expensive town, so I know how it feels to think you need to buy the "cheap" foods. But they do not work out to be cheap in the long run when you have to pay medical expenses. If you can buy just the right amount of healthy nutrient rich food and drink water then it will work out to be cheaper. Also I don't know about the area where you live, but if you are on such a low income you may be eligible to receive help from your local Salvation Army food bank, they can provide you with good canned and dried supplements so you can spend your budget on fresh foods to create a balanced meal. It's a little hard to get past your pride at first, but it does help a lot.
    Best of luck in your efforts.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My school had an "on the go" shop where you could pick up meal items and use your meal plan for people who have classes during dining hours. See if your school has this too?
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

VUCig.gif

Is the answer that it won't but may give a psychological boost as it helps with water retention which translates to a loss on the scale?

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!! :love:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    OK HEADLINER! DO NOT BE RUDE OR YELL AT ME..

Ok so here is the deal I am not losing weight on 1200 calories a day. I know my body and I have a very slow metabolism. So therefore I am going to be starting a diet of 800 calories. I am a broke college student with only a microwave to cook in. I try to eat as healthy as I can but usually I get crap like mac and cheese or cup o noodles....Now my question if I am limiting to myself to 800 and everyone thinks I should eat at least 1200 why? I mean all I am going to do is eat more of the junky stuff. and do I really need to eat more of that?

With that being said if anyone has any HELPFUL suggestions on how to get all the nutrients I need to keep my body healthy (vitamins or something) I would appreciate being told. Thanks and be polite folks
    If you really knew your body, you wouldn't be overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bjfavara
    Bjfavara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think whoever though of capitalizing words means yelling is stupid!! It can also mean trying to emphasize something, trying to be understood. The tone of the letter is what matters. Be that as it may, the real point to her topic is that she desparately needs help and is humble enough to ask. I am new to this new lifestyle so I don't have a lot to contribute as far as others may in nutritional advice but the girl does not have a lot of money. When I was a kid with no mom and no dad at home I would eat rice with butter, pork and beans, and my friend would share V-8 juice with me every morning on the way to school. I went for whatever was available and would satisfy my needs.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Telling people to be nice to you asking to treat you with kitt gloves (kid gloves?) won't make it happen. Unless you're very short and small framed, then an 800 calorie diet wont be enough to get all the vitamins and minerals you need, and you wont be fit or healthy. Have fun with that.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    honestly I work through the dinner shifts and have class during lunch so I pretty much on my own and I so don't have any money lol
    at work I try to eat some turkey on wheat
    and I drink lots of milk.
    DO you guys think the 800 cal plan is dangerous I am only going to do it to lose ten pounds then I will be at my goal weight and go back to maintence cals which I can usually pull about 1500 off

I normally wouldn't suggest prepackaged foods, but if you take a look in the frozen section and read labels you can find frozen dinners that are a complete meal. You need to look for low sodium. Also you can add frozen veggies to your diet. There are many things you can make without a stove. Bed Bath and beyond has some really cool microwave gadgets for under $10.I saw a roasting tray to make things like chicken. Things like canned tuna, hummus, beans low sodium soups are all better options than mac n cheese and ramen. As for the below 1200kcal, it's not advisable, and can be dangerous.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    under 1200 is starving the body - you will not lose weight

This just ISN'T TRUE. Otherwise there would be no problem with famine in sub-saharan africa as everyone would gain weight when their calories were restricted. There MIGHT be a mechanism by which your body tries to become more efficient when calorie intake is very low and therefore weightloss would be SLOWER but still HAPPEN.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    OP - just wondering, have you tried applying for Food Stamps? I'm not sure the exact guidelines for students, but if you qualify as being your own separate household you should qualify for assistance that could help you afford some more healthful foods. :-)

I have to echo what others are saying about *not* dropping your calories drastically low. You are probably more active than you think, having to walk to class and whatnot, 1200 might actually be a bit too low for your body to happily want to drop any weight, especially if you have to rely on high-sodium foods for the majority of your calories. For comparison, I am 5'4" and currently 130 lbs (have lost 35 lbs since starting), my goal here on MFP is set to lose 1/2 lb per week and allows me 1370 calories, plus I exercise and eat back those calories so I normally eat around 1600-2000 by the end of the day and still lose weight. If I were to eat a strict 1200 and no extra for activity/exercise, I'd be tired and grumpy and have no clue if the scale would cooperate with me or not. I ate 1200-1400 when I was just starting out at 165 lbs and not exercising, but once I lost some weight and started incorporating exercise I had to bump those calories up to give my body more of what it needs. I still eat processed foods, but less now than I did before, more fresh produce and a focus on getting plenty of protein. You are already in your 'healthy' range, so any weight you want to lose will come off slowly, and rightly so. If you do it slowly/moderately, your body is more likely to be able to keep it off.
This discussion has been closed.