is your gym busy again because of January

Options
Hello,

Just though id say I hate this time of year, as every January the gym becomes rammed again from all the new members that have joined after Christmas, I dont think it would be as bad if it werent for the fact that in december its pretty much empty.

Do you have the same happening at your gym? many new newbies??

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. Just wait another month and all the gym wanna bees will start to decline. It is a fact. Just heard on the news by now 35% of people that made a New years resolution to lose weight have fallen off the wagon.

Have a great da.,
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    Oh, it's terrible at the moment! Especially on Mondays...
    I have to basically run off from work & secure a treadmill or I'll have to join a queue!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's the New Year's Resolutionist phenomenon, they are there the first 2 weeks of Jan. and by Feb. they are gone. My gym has already emptied out substantially, thank goodness as it was difficult to get in and do what I need to do as the weights were all scattered everywhere and people were just standing around talking.
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    Yep my gym too. I don't like it at all. Where I go it is very small place so I feel like I am running into people no matter what I am doing and there are a limited number of machines so you have to hope and pray there is one open or someone is almost done when you get there. Can't wait til March it will definitely be quieter then.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I admit, I'm a resolutioner ;) But I've ** never** seen the gym so busy. NEVER EVER. And the time I prefer ( 7;30 pm ) is often the MOST crowded. The guys at the desk say in 2 weeks, it will be back to normal.

I dont' usually have to wait for a machine. There have been a few times though, that someone is waiting for MY machine. Once, a lady showed up JUST as I was finishing, with a sanitizing wipe in hand. She was more than willing to clean my machine just so that no one else would get it before her! I hate feeling rushed.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Heck yes - my small studio where I attend Zumba usually has about 8 people in a class every week. Right after New Year's, there have been over 20 each week. It's such a small room that the heat off of everyone's bodies is creating a slick floor and we usually have to end the workout 20 minutes early and just do floor exercises on mats. Kind of irritating.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    "Your gym..." Heaven forbid anyone else decide to get fit.

You were a newbie at one time too.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options

go away troll, we dont want comments like that your rude person, make your own thread!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I don't think he means it like that.. I think he means at peoples gym's in general are there a lot of new people.

To OP:
    Yes my gym has a lot of new people... and they are also doing a "get fit" challenge soon to, which is going to bring in even more new people.

Sucks.. but thats how it is. I haven't had to wait too long for a machine.. but I have seen people literally stalking the treadmills/ellipticals trying to find a space.. and I consider that to be pretty funny.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Glad to see the gym is full again! Hope the new members stick with it. We were all new once. But waiting in line for the cardio machines and waiting for a bench or dumbbells does take some patience. You are right, the gym ramps up this time of year and in February and March it fizzles back down, unfortunately. I'm just going to the gym3 days a week during this busy season and doing the other days at home.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Yes... MY gym. As in the one *I* belong to.... also known as YOUR gym, and THE gym.

I hope many of the resolutioners stick with it, personally. As much as I hate feeling rushed, I hate feeling fat more.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    January is always busy at my gym. Usually by the middle of Feb it slows down and my mid-March its really back to normal. All those "new year's resolutions" have worn off and they are back on the couch!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Yes! I hate it, I'm surprised it hasn't thinned out more yet... But then again, the gym I go to is brand new and was build by a community grant and is super duper high tech and a lot cheaper than anywhere else in town... so... People are sticking it out here longer than they have at any other gym I've gone to after the first of the year, and don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they are making healthy choices and deciding to work out... but If I've made the effort to get up and work out at 5:30 in the morning, then I like to get on the machine I want to get on, when I want to get on it, get a good work out, get home changed and to work without having to wait too long for a machine.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I totally seen it early Jan, but I always go early in the morning, sometimes before 7am so I really don't see the gym too crowded.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I joke about it every year in December when the place is empty, then in January the place is stuffed to the rafters. I don't worry, though, since all those people will be gone again in February.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Sucks.. but thats how it is. I haven't had to wait too long for a machine.. but I have seen people literally stalking the treadmills/ellipticals trying to find a space.. and I consider that to be pretty funny.

HA! Reminds me of people looking for parking spots at Christmas time -
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Mine was REALLY bad the first week and pretty bad the 2nd week - last week I did notice that it wasn't as busy, so there are many folks already falling off the wagon at my gym.

I was PISSED the first week, I couldn't get on my machines and it just messed with my schedule, but I'm back to it already!!!

It's crazy!!!
  • nikki1anna
    Options

marry me =)
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My gym is outside :-) And no one uses it in Jan here ;-) Hehe
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My gym is outside :-) And no one uses it in Jan here ;-) Hehe

fair play to ya mate!