Zumba.

Options
I do Zumba 3x per week. I do not have an HRM, so I was wondering--for those who do Zumba and have an HRM, how many calories do you burn? I have been using zumbacalories.com and for the intensity of my class (which is very high) and my stats, it says I burn between 800-900 for 1 hour of it. I definitely feel like I get a great burn... I can't talk while I am doing it because it is that intense and I am dripping in sweat at the end! But, 800-900 just seems so high to me!

Replies

• MrsKite
    MrsKite Posts: 35
    Options
    I do use a HRM, I burn 800 doing Zumba Gold and 1000 doing regular Zumba.
  • sirenvega
    sirenvega Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 900 to 1000 with my HRM
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    Alright then, sounds about right! Thanks! :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i think the website is zumbacalories.com but i just usually do 10 calories a minute.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am going to use my polar HRM for the first time at zumba tonight, can;t wait to see what I burn. Will let you know.

(171 cm, 62 kg female, will be 60 mins zumba fitness :)
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    EH, even on my high intensity classes im only burning 775ish.....i am 132 lbs 5 ft tall. Most classes for me are closer to 700

Its always better to under estimate than underestimate when it comes to exercise calories.
  • ckenning
    Options
    bump
    I guess I need a HRM then....my class is just 1 night a week for 55 minutes. MFP only has me burning in the low 300's.
  • Cacopeland
    Cacopeland Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For clarity's sake I am 219lbs and my heart rate stays in the 170-185 range for the full hour and tonight my polar said I burned 693calories. I was dripping sweat, but I cannot jump around full force because of a jacked up ankle so i am sure that if i had I would have burned more.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You can search this topic. I remember commenting on a similar thread. Basically I burn around 500-600 on a class. Some people burn way less and some burn way more.... It's hard
    To say. The website was overestimating mine by almost 300 cals!

PS. I use a Polar FT4
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this as well....I've been logging it as dancing high intensity.....thanks ladies!
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whoa.....just checked the site zumbacalories.com and it says I've been burning 1293 cals....Ive been logging 777!!! I need one of those monitors!!!
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and the most that I've ever burned in a very high intensity class (60 min) is 718 calories. Most of the time I burn between 500-650 for an hour class and I'm dripping with sweat and feel like I got my butt kicked almost every class. For reference I'm 5'5" and 140.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I burn between 400-450 for an hour of zumba according to my bodybugg. I'm 5'5" and weigh 169
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Update, burnt 692 in 58 mins and it was high intensity :) Happy with that!

edit to add, zumbacalories.com puts it at 535. Glad I have a HRM
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    HRM isn't 100% accurate either ladies and gents. It's more accurate if it takes in to account your RHR, ACTUAL Max HR and your VO2 max as well as your height, weight, gender and general activity level. otherwise you could be thinking you're burning about an extra 150 calories per hour than you actually are.,..plus this doesn't take into account the calories you would have burned anyway being sedentary, the numbers shouldn't be that high for most people I don't think. 500 sounds about right.