Cholestrol

Options
I eat 2 eggs scrambled and my cholesteral is already over for my MFP says is my daily intake. I know high amounts are bad but toward weight loss and exercise, how will it effect? I don't do this every day, actualy hardly ever go over my cholesterol intake but curious.

Replies

• Bigplay691
    Bigplay691 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ??
  • TrudyJo195
    Options
    I think due to exercise and the diet you'll be ok. Don't be to hard on your self. Have a good day.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I personally don't track it. As long as your carbs are within a reasonable range I wouldn't worry about it. When you get your carbs out of sight it pushes your insulin levels up and your body creates cholesterol...more than you'll eat ;) I eat eggs a lot and I've never had a problem.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs almost every day for breakfast and sometimes more during the day. My cholesterol had been well over 200 for the past ten years. I got it checked in October (a couple months after changing my diet to include lots of eggs) and my total cholesterol was 159. All my other lipids were drastically improved over the previous ten years. I had started exercising regularly and I believe that has more to do with my improved cholesterol than the eggs I'm eating.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    do you already have cholesterol problems? if not, a couple of egg yolks during the day should not be a problem. eggs contain mostly HDL, which is the good cholesterol. most studies show that one egg yolk a day does not appear to increase significant risks of heart disease. so if you average about one egg a day, you're good to go! remember, our bodies operate more on a marathon week-to-week basis rather then a daily food-comes-in-food-goes-out style.
  • tjnd88
    tjnd88 Posts: 26
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs for breakfast 3 or 4 times per week. Great low-fat protein source. Did not negatively affect my cholesterol. In fact, since starting MFP 7 months ago, I actually lowered my total cholesterol from 251 to 179.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Total blood cholesterol numbers is a red herring. It's the relationship (ratio) between HDL and LDL that is far more important as well as the size of the actual particles that make up HDL and LDL. Pattern A particle sizes are large and bouyant and are much less likely to cause atherosclerosis and rarely found in that disease. On the other hand Pattern B are very small and dense particles that are very prone to oxidation because these are what get caught up between cells and from the lack of movement start to oxidize and pretty much all chases of heart disease actually find these types of cholesterol to be the problem.

Getting to eggs, while eggs do have cholesterol and saturated fat, both of these substances actually promote pattern A. So like I said even though our total cholesterol may go up eating eggs, it's mainly for a couple of reasons. One being that natural saturated fats increase HDL everytime and secondly they also make the LDL particles bigger and because blood cholesterol is measured in weight ml/dl there's more total cholesterol, but like I said it's the relationship between HDL and LDL that is ultimitely the more important factor and because HDL is always increased more so with eggs that ratio is improved and the bonus is the particles are larger and less atherogenic. In Canada where I live there is no maximum daily allowance for dietary cholesterol and it's based on these fact and of course the fact that when a substance is demonized for more of a political agenda as opposed to a health agenda the foods that would be needed to make up the caloric void of these demonized foods like cholesterol and natural saturated fat get filled by less desirable foods that generally have sugar in them like cereals or other refined carbs and vegetable oils they actually start to reduce those particles sizes and also start to reduce HDL as well and one of the big new problems over the last 30 years is the prevelance of low HDL which if someone has that almost no low levels of LDL are going to compensate for.....basically eat your eggs, including the yolk.