Spinning

Options
Anyone incorporating spinning classes into their workouts? I've been doing one per week for the past few weeks and I definitely feel it afterwards! I go to two different classes and the instructors are very different, so it's not possible to 'get used' to the class as they're always changing it.

I thought of myself as fairly fit beforehand (3 half marathons, several 10ks) but this is a different challenge altogether! I'd be interested to see what others think!

Replies

• prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I am going to do my first class on Saturday, slightly dreading it but excited. I have heard it is hard but kinda on the same level as kettle bell (which I do every week) so I am hoping I can handle it!
  • milo28
    milo28 Posts: 42
    Options
    I go twice a week and I love it !!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! it's such a great workout and really tones all the muscles everywhere! I used to do 3 lessons a week, but gave up when i was training for my half marathon. I am tryng to get back into it again!

Keep it up! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner also but running 5 days a week would get too monotonous for me and I don't want to run so much that I risk injury while training, so I like to incorporate other forms of cardio into my workouts. I Spin once a week and love it!! It's a great change from the running and gives your body some variety. I've been doing it for a few years and it never ceases to kick my *kitten* :happy: If I give it my best effort, I always leave feeling great and knowing I had an awesome workout.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    love spinning. it works out very different muscles then running, so no surprise that you had a bit of trouble with it.

hey, if you run and now you're biking, the next thing you should start doing is some swimming. then you can do a triathlon.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I was really intimidated by the spinning class and was afraid to try it until my body pump instructor encouraged me. I loved it. (even with my butt hurting. :ohwell: ) Now it is a weekly part of my schedule. I spin at least 2-3 times a week. My favorite class is the RPM (Les Mills) because it is so tied to the music and the beat really helps me keep my RPMs up.

I have seen lots of in shape folks give up after a few minutes, but those who stay get a great workout!:flowerforyou:
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    First timer in about another hour. I am SCARED! LOL
  • kklemencic
    Options
    Spinning is an awesome cardio and I try to do 2 to 3 a week with different instructors. I will also head to the Y on Saturday mornings and kick my own butt on the cycle. I also found when I was running that the spin classes strengthened my legs and my running improved. This year I want to shake it up some more so I am swimming laps 1-2 times a week =) happy spinning!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First timer in about another hour. I am SCARED! LOL

Have fun!! Don't be discouraged. Good luck!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the spin classes at my gym. There are a couple of instructors at my gym who are great and really push everyone for a killer workout. But there is this one... and her class is always boring. LOL

I do have App on my Ipod called Spin mentor that I use when there is not a class during my workout time. I really like that a lot.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    note to first timers - your butt will be sore afterwards! you will get used to this feeling after 3-5 classes though!
    I've been trying to do one class a week on top of my sports and running, It is a great workout and gets your HR up!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Addicted to spinning!!! I go 2-3 times a week.
    Mondays the instructor does a HIIT workout which I LOVE!
    18 mins of high intensity intervals 30 secs on then recover... LOVE it!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I go twice a week with my dad. It is a great workout - I am a disgusting sweaty mess afterward.
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just started spinning a month ago...now I do three times a week...It's digusting how much I sweat but it's really helped my running so much!!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I take for spin classes a week and have for about a year. I LOVE it! There are 3 different instructors and all three give very different workouts! I feel SO good when class is over!

Good luck!!!
  • lauragibson84
    Options
    note to first timers - your butt will be sore afterwards! you will get used to this feeling after 3-5 classes though!
    I've been trying to do one class a week on top of my sports and running, It is a great workout and gets your HR up!

I wish someone had told me this before I started! Lol. One of the instructors did a set of standing to sitting sprints and I'm convinced I bruised my sitting bone.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I wish someone had told me this before I started! Lol. One of the instructors did a set of standing to sitting sprints and I'm convinced I bruised my sitting bone.

My gym has 6 bikes with these nice seats that do not hurt at all... I show up 15 minutes early to get one!
  • lauragibson84
    Options

My gym has 6 bikes with these nice seats that do not hurt at all... I show up 15 minutes early to get one!

I'm envious! My gym has none like that. I'm looking into a padded seat cover, I'd rather do that than wear padded shorts. I have enough padding in that area already!