Couch to 5k

Options
Has anyone tried the couch to 5k program?

Replies

• Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 2 today!! So far its not bad!! Even if I never run a 5k. I like the cardio workout I get from it! Good luck!!
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    No but I am running my first race ever at the end of March and its a 10K so I would like to know about this as well.
  • StacyBMe
    StacyBMe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am starting week six today. Love the program, never thought I would be able to jog/run longer than a minute and last week I was able to jog 20 minutes without and breaks
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Starting today! Hopeful it will be a great experience and the beginning of my life as a runner!
  • lmb8rd
    lmb8rd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completed the program. It's a good one if you aren't a runner to get you started.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it on and off for the last 4 weeks but been suffering with pains in my ankles as I was a complete non runner before. I went to have a gait analysis done at my local Sweatshop and they advised my trainers are half a size too big so me ankles / feet are not getting enough support, I pick up my new trainers this weekend so hoping that I can progress better with it.

So far I have found it great, really easy to use, I also downloaded the Nike + GPS app to track the distance etc too which you can run on your iphone at the same time as the 'Get Running' app which is the C25K app I use currently.

Good Luck with it! x
  • granwin
    Options
    Hi, yes i have done week one and two runs of week two up to now - i think its really good. I struggle a bit towards the end but determined not to be beaten by it :-)
    if anyone is interested you can find all about it here http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

good luck
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Its a great program. I highly suggest getting fitted for proper running shoes before starting though. Go to a running specialty store that analyzes your gait not a Footlocker or ****'s Sporting Goods or anything like that.
    I finished C25K in April last year and since I've run a 5k, a few half marathons, a few sprint triathlons and a half ironman.
    This program really changed a lot for me and opened up so many doors.

I wish you luck!
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have an android it is a free app on the android market. Just search for C25K. I'm sure they have it for Iphone as well! Good luck!
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you have an android it is a free app on the android market. Just search for C25K. I'm sure they have it for Iphone as well! Good luck!

'Get running' is the one I use on the iphone x
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can find the information online it starts out slow and builds up over time so that you can run an 5k. It is a nine week program I am starting today so we will see. It only requires three days a week with rest days in between so it is perfect for me.
  • jenielee
    jenielee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 today. I use an iphone app that's called 5K runner. It lets you play your own music and gives cues as to when to run and walk. I love it and haven't had to repeat a week yet (so far). My first 5K will be on March 3. I have NEVER been a runner and could barely go a 1/10 of a mile before I started. Great program and concept. Stick with it and repeat days/weeks if you need to. Just don't stop and give it. It will be worth it!
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    start week 4 today! its surprising!!
  • wildside79
    Options
    graduated last year. Awesome program, ran my first 5k in under 26 minutes two weeks after completing, and I had never been much of a runner.
  • u240018
    Options
    Started a year and half ago at age 44, after never running in my entire life. Quickly learned how out of shape I was, huffing and puffing after 30 seconds, but now running 5K 4 times a week, down to about 9 min / mile.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 1 Day 2 today. I had to do Day 1 twice and Day 2 twice in order to actually finish the days but I did it (I only made it 15 minutes in each the first time)! I was in a bad car accident years ago and bruised my shin so bad it hurt to walk but that's not bothering me anymore it seems. My biggest problem is that something healed wrong when I broke both my ankles two years ago but even that I can work through ( I think).

Not sure what your question is. But if I can do it, anyone can do it. Good luck!
  • darlenestanley
    darlenestanley Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the 5K Your Way Rookie Running Training on Sparkpeople.com. I am on Week 4 and I am blown away that I just walked at 3.2 mph for 2 minutes and jogged at 4.2 mph for 3 minutes alternating for 25 minutes. Totally amazed that I did this!! The program works and I highly recommend it!!!

I would like to add - I have never considered myself a runner because I have never been a runner. :happy:
  • CindysSmallTownLife
    Options
    It is absolutely the best program I have ever tried! I have never been a runner, but today (at 43 years of age) I am signed up for my first 1/2 marathon for the first of March. I started C25K in October. After that program, you can move up to Bridge to 10K (B210K). Good Luck!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! I just finished the program last week and ran my first 5k on Saturday. 10 weeks ago I couldn't run 90 seconds w/o feeling like I was dying...I ran the 5k on Saturday w/o stopping.

I highly recommend doing it...
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am doing session 3 of week 1 today!

45 years old and weighing in at just over 200lbs (not ran for years and years)

Couldnt believe it worked!

Bit dead by the end of it but hoping 3rd session maybe easier (android app RunDouble (2 week free trial then 99p if you like it) I think the app is great as a very nice lady makes your music get quieter and then tells you to run or walk (i love her when she says 'walk now')

Diane