Losing weight will little exercise

Options
Hi Everyone

I am just starting out on my weight loss journey and I am really motivated and enjoying things so far, my situation is that I am a wheelchair user and quite limited to the variety and amount of exercise I can do.

I was wondering if anyone had any good news stories of weight loss with little or no exercise?

Replies

• Noof91
    Noof91 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i lost almost 9 lbs so far with little exercises
    so it is really possible
    exercises just help u losing it faster n keep your body fit
    but the main reason for gaining or losing weigh is the amount and the quality of the food u eat

so you go man you can diffidently do it
  • garza71
    garza71 Posts: 31
    Options
    thats great well done
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've lost just over 75 pounds so far, without doing much exercise. The most I do is walk for about one and a half to two miles a day. It can be done just by dropping calories! A couple of things that helped me: avoid drinks with calories (mostly I drink water or Pepsi Max), and be very aware of what a proper portion size is.

You say you're in a wheelchair -- are you able to propel yourself? If so, you could just try and get outside for at least 30 minutes a day. It might not sound much but that's all I do, and it does help.

Good luck!
  • garza71
    Options
    wow thats an amazing achievement, yes I can propel myself and do try and get out and about most days even if just for a little way, being in the UK the weather plays its part in this though!
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Can you lift weights with your upper body? That will build muscle and burn calories at the same time.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think it's diet for the most part, exercise is a bonus.
    Really watch your intake, and perhaps some upper body weight bearing exercises?
    Good luck!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some reason you can't workout your upper body, there's no reason you can't look like this:

_ANT0277.1.jpg
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    this!
    my grandma (83)
    had both legs amputated, and she can't make it even to wheelchair (pain in arms makes it imposiible for her to lift and move body with hands only)
    but she would still work out 30 minutes a day
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    wow thats an amazing achievement, yes I can propel myself and do try and get out and about most days even if just for a little way, being in the UK the weather plays its part in this though!

Thanks! :) It took me 13 months to do it... then plateaued for almost 5 months, now I'm trying to get my BMI a little closer to 20 (it's 24.5 or so now), hence why I'm here. I'm also trying to eat more healthily as well, which I'm hoping MFP will help me with. I'm in the UK too, so the weather doesn't help -- torrential rain is forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'm off to do my 30 minutes walk in the sun shortly.
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    Can you lift weights with your upper body? That will build muscle and burn calories at the same time.

this...just put exercises for wheelchair users in google, and you will find an abundance of blogs and websites dealing with this issue providing adequate workout.
  • garza71
    Options
    some very inspiring comments, thank you.

i do try and exercise when i can so hopefully with careful diet i will be able to make some good progress
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm in a wheelchair as well, and lost most of my 50 lbs so far with minimal exercise. It can be done.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The thing is you want to build strength while eating at a deficit.
    Pump up the protein and fat.
    Set carbs at about 40-50% of your day.
    Lift dumbbells or use resistance bands since they shouldnt interfere with mobility.

If you dont lift and get the training in you could set yourself back once you start getting closer to goal.

www.apparelyzed.com/articles/spinal-cord-injury/fitness.html

I bet you can find some people on www.bodybuilding.com at the forums in the same situation.
    Worth a shot!
  • kitcap67
    Options
    I'm so inspired by your determination and your courage to reach out for help! After many years (20+) of being overweight and over 200 lbs., I spoke to my Doctor to help me with finally losing the weight and she told me that losing weight is really 80% 'what you eat' and 20% 'exercise'. Obviously, we need to protect and strengthen our hearts through regular cardio and that is achievable even in a wheelchair. Find exercises that can get your heart rate up; modified jumping jacks with your upper body using 5-10 lb weights and concentrating on control or use a ketle bell over and behind your head or, if you can move your upper torso, try twisting side to side with weights in your hands?? I am NO expert but wanted to offer up some suggestions that may work for you? The rest will be 'diet'. I hate that word and I love to eat. So, I've found by searching online some different ways to prepare the foods I crave but that don't have so many carbs, fats or sugar in them. So, it's a win-win! There is a GREAT site for recipes called www.skinnytaste.com! There are some FANTASTIC meals and some great ideas for foods to eat that will satisfy even the crankiest of 'dieters'-ha! I will pray that you will be successful in your journey and God Bless!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Also, you can get cardio in with just the upper body. Boxing moves (punches, jabs, upper cuts, etc.) are great for getting the heart rate up to get cardio in.
  • garza71
    Options
    I'm in a wheelchair as well, and lost most of my 50 lbs so far with minimal exercise. It can be done.

great work, that is very inspirational
  • garza71
    Options
    Unless you have some reason you can't workout your upper body, there's no reason you can't look like this:

_ANT0277.1.jpg

not sure i will ever look like this but thanks for the encouragement
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise. I simply watched the calories numbers. i don't eat meat (by choice and quite happy about it too) during the week. lots of beans, fruit, salad, shrimp and fish, nuts. no processed food, not too much pasta or bread.