Races/Marathons- looking for advice

Options
Good Morning all-
So I have yet to run any races or half marathons. But such is my goal this summer.. I at least want to begin the season with a few short races and if not the end of this season, then the beginning of next, I would like to run my first half marathon.
So for those of you who are experienced with this, what advice can you share? I have a few silly questions, like once you reach the end- how do you get back to your car? What do you carry on you during a race/marathon? Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• candyflee
    candyflee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most of the races that I've looked at go in a loop so you start and finish at the same place x
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Training for a marathon is like a part-time job, but its very rewarding...I would run a few 5ks, 10ks, etc...I never ran a half, just because there werent any local, and to travel didnt fit my schedule...I did 2 marathons in the mid 90s, however...How far do you run in training now? I wish you luck!!!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How far do you run in training now? I wish you luck!!!

I currently run between 25-30 miles a week. I love running. I've recently joined a running club and have met a great coach who is willing to work with me on my running and building a program. *woohoo!* lol
    But I want to hear from as many experienced runners as possible! Motivational advice-fitness advice- what to carry is a big one though, because I can't imagine running 13.1miles carrying a water bottle? Seems awkward lol
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hadn't done any races 5 10 or whatever, decided to do a 1/2 marathon gave myself a year to prepare and then did the biggest race in the country...

It worked for me.. probably not the best way of doing it. I carried too much, I shouldnt have bothered with water bottles and if I did it should have just been one I could throw away, there was plenty of water stations available. There were baggage buses but I carried my wallet and stuff on me, I think I carried too much, and next time ill probably cut down to just my iphone on a sling on my arm, my credit card slipped into something and thats it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I am starting Jeff Galloway's walk-run-walk program today. I've done 5k's in the past, so I think this method is going to work well for me.
    Here is the book I'm using:
    http://www.amazon.com/Marathon-You-Can-Do-ebook/dp/B004I6D6WG/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1327249470&sr=1-3
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Most excellent! participating in races is very fun and rewarding!

www.runningintheusa.com is a great website to find local races around you.

My advice is train well, race hard, but most of all have fun!! I run local 5ks,10ks,15ks, and a 1/2M once or maybe 2x a year. Very fun and often for some great charitable causes. Depending on the length of the race and the weather mostly determines what I carry, like ipod, snack, water bottle, etc. Some races allow you to listen to music, others don't. The best thing to wear is good fitted running shoes and comfortable running clothes akin to the weather conditions on race day.

Depending on the venue and the length of race will determine race-end procedures. A lot of races are in a loop so the start and finish are the same location. Straight distance races often will shuttle racers to and from the start/finish lines or you can catch a ride with family/friends who came out as spectators.
  • sjostrich
    sjostrich Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There are usually loads of hydration points so you can get away with not carrying a bottle if you're not used to it. I've used Hal Higdon's half mar training program before and it worked a treat! Go get em!
  • Floridaboiler
    Floridaboiler Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to run a half marthon ! Please remember to have fun. Run your race and don't worry about what other runners around you are doing. Your coach will probably tell you the same thing.

For race day, you don't really need a water bottle during the race. There are always plenty of water stations. The only thing I have ever carried is the key to my truck, and gu/gel packs that I would "eat" during the race itself. It was said earlier that most races are a loop and that is right, If it isn't then most places will offer a shuttle bus back to the start.

Just remember to get a good nights sleep the night before, eat smart that morning and enjoy it. You will be amazed at how easy it is stay motivated to run when you have others running with you.
  • fitsaxon
    Options
    Here is a site that may help you out (it helped me) -- although i like it for the training schedules, hal has a lot of running & race advice.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/

your other q's:
    how do you get back to your car?
    I've only run a few, but most end where they start

What do you carry on you during a race/marathon?
    You may have a timer; mine have been either on the back of my number or the kind you tie to your shoe. At some races they have a check-in for your car keys, like a coat check (i'd leave everything else in the car . . . purse, water, recovery snack) - if no check-in, I'd tie your key to your shoe, or put in in your shorts pocket. (There are also running wallets that attach to your shoe or are armbands).
    For longer races (like a marathon) you might want to bring an energy gel, or a cliff bar, or I have one friend that swears by potatos! . . . . haven't gotten to that distance yet, but I wish you the best of luck!
  • ashshort
    Options
    I have run 4 marathons. Chicago, San Diego, Marine Corp and Disney. Most marathons major ones anyway have a check in point where you can check in your race bag. It is usually based on your bib number. Most marathons have an expo days before the race when you go and pick up your race bib, important information, goodie bag and T-shirt. The expo also has lots of retail things to buy. It is best to get involved with a running group to train with. I have done Team in Training and they are a wonderful organization. You do have to fundraise and depending on your situation this can be just as difficult as training. You do have a running coach for support and a fundraising mentor to help you get creative in finding ways for donations. Training is different for everyone but TNT only does their longest run at a 20 miler. They figure if you can do 20 you can do 26.2. It does take your body about 2 weeks of recovery after a marathon so I think its best to not run the 26.2 until the race. Marathons and TNT changed my life. It made me believe in myself and it proved that if you set your mind to it you can do anything!! TNT also has training for other events (half marathons, tri's) And yes, training for a marathon is a lot of work! Be prepared to train 6 days a week for about 5 months and as you get up in mileage you will spend more time out there of course :-). I would advise to do the majority of your miles outside and not on the treadmill. Especially your long runs. Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Motivational advice-fitness advice- what to carry is a big one though, because I can't imagine running 13.1miles carrying a water bottle? Seems awkward lol

Camelbak or something similar. Also races generally have water stations as well.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who are experienced with this, what advice can you share? I have a few silly questions, like once you reach the end- how do you get back to your car? What do you carry on you during a race/marathon? Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance everyone!

1) Find a training plan and stick to it (within reason and never skipping a long run). A lot of people here like Hal Higdon's or Jeff Galloway's; I've never used either (had my own put together by a coach, which sounds like what you might be planning on doing). I like having literally every day mapped out from now to the race.

2) As others have said, most races tend to end where they started; if they don't, they will provide (or advise upon, in advance) transportation back to the start area.

3) While you don't need to bring water with you during your race, as there are usually water stations every 3 miles or so, you will most likely want to bring water on your training runs. I use a Fuel Belt by Nathan, since I hate carrying anything in my hands. There are a number of different options; my Fuel Belt has four 10 oz bottles that I fill with water, which is plenty to get me through any training runs up to ~16 miles or so (anything more than that and I carry extra water bottles, but I'm a thirsty kinda gal). Others use Camelbaks for hydration; I prefer the belt, but it's a personal preference kind of thing.

4) During the race itself, I carry nothing but my car key and, for longer runs, Gu packets (I eat one every 3 miles or so with 8 oz of water). They'll give you a race bib (your number), so you'll have that; I either leave everything else in my car or use the bag check at the race for extra layers of clothes, etc. If you're running somewhere cold, you can even buy super cheap sweats and just leave them at the start line or shed them as you go; some races collect them and donate them to homeless shelters.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions; I'm certainly no expert, but would be happy to share my experience/ideas with you.

Happy running!