If you workout before going to work (in the morning)...

Options
2»

Replies

• jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    My question is how do you get up so stinking early? Anyone NOT a morning person and has forced themselves to be one? I don't know how you do it!!

I am! I don't have kids, but I am the furthest thing from a morning person! but I feel better the rest of the day if I exercise in the morning rather than be blah all day and exercise at night. of course there are still days that I do need to sleep in a little and do the exercise in the afternoon or something.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am so NOT a morning person! I go to bed at 10 and get up btwn 5 & 5:30. Now on my rest days I am still waking up at 5am and on the weekends! You will be surprised how fast your body gets used to it!
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am up at 5:30 - and out of the house by 6:20. I'm at the gym by around 6:50 - 7. I'm out of there by 8:30 by the time I finish showering. I have an 8 year old so he can do most things himself. I try to do as much prep the night before. I usually go to bed between 9 and 10.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I said I would try to get up in the mornings in my previous post and that has not happened yet. :grumble:
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have no kids (yet!) so it's just my husband and I and a puppy...I'm very lucky to live so close to work so my routine is a bit easier to deal with because I don't have a long drive time or anything like that.

I wake up at 6:00 am, it takes me a while to drag my bum out of bed (I've actually moved my alarm clock to a small table at the other side of the room so I have to actually get out of bed to turn it off. Once my feet hit the cold floor, I'm usually a little bit more alert) I get my workout clothes on and my shoes on and really wake up, but I don't actually start my workout until 6:30.

6:30 - 7:30 is my morning workout time (this is the time that I do my Wii Active or my workout DVDs - I like to change it up some mornings just so I don't get bored and just quit) and it's straight into the shower from there until about 7:45.

7:45 - 8:15 or even 8:20 is my time to get ready and dressed for work, feed the pooch and grab my lunch and snacks if I need to.

I get to work at 8:30 am and I have breakfast there. I have eggs for breakfast and I usually just cook it in my microwave egg cooker and also microwave two pieces of ready crisp bacon or a cheese string if it's not a bacon day. We have a full-size fridge at work so I usually leave a lot of my snack things at work (carton of 6 large eggs, package of cheese strings, yogurt, cottage cheese, sliced vegetables as well as some frozen fish that I can have at lunch with some bagged salad that I either have in the fridge or bring from home.) and that makes my morning less hectic because I know I have things waiting for me at work.

I have evening cardio classes at my gym in between 5:30 - 6:30 for an hour depending on what class it is that day so I usually get home on some days by 7:30 at the latest. My husband and I usually have something really easy to cook, broiled fish, baked chicken breast (right now one of our favourites is High Liner's frozen tilapia) which only takes about 15 - 20 minutes to cook and we have that with salad.

I'm usually in bed or falling asleep by 10:30.

Hope you find a plan/schedule that works for you!!! I'm finding that waking up earlier just makes me feel like I have more time in the day to do things without being rushed or forgetting things. Plus it gives me a little time to myself which is nice!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person at all, but I recently made a commitment to change my lifestyle and start working out each morning. I found it was the only time that I would consistently be able to go to the gym without interruption. (I used to go after work, but I found that things would always pop up and disrupt the schedule).

What worked for me was to start off by getting up at a certain time and going to the gym for 30 minutes to start with, until my body was used to rising early and wouldn't fight back. After a couple weeks, I started waking up 15 minutes earlier and increased my workout to 45 minutes each day. Later, I pushed it back again 15 more minutes so that I could get in an hour workout.

I found that if I made myself get up consistently at the same time every day, it got easier and easier. Resetting your natural alarm clock might be tricky to begin with, but it will get easier with time. Good luck!!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I swear, I'm not trying to cause trouble here, BUT.....

There's hardly any mention of husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends/partners. And when there was, he was referred to as "AWESOME". Shouldn't it be normal that the other part of the relationsip (if there is one) helps out too?

Am I just naive? :frown:
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You guys have really got me thinking. I have to be at work at 6 am every morning so for me to get in some exercising I would have to be up no later than 4:30...(i also do the 30 Day Shred so it's fairly quick)but i'm thinking if I did that I WOULD have more energy during the day and could possibly squeeze in some extra exercise in the evening. Well Monday starts a new work week so I will try to do that.

Thanks for the inspiration!

-Sarah
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I swear, I'm not trying to cause trouble here, BUT.....

There's hardly any mention of husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends/partners. And when there was, he was referred to as "AWESOME". Shouldn't it be normal that the other part of the relationsip (if there is one) helps out too?

Am I just naive? :frown:

I was the one who mentioned I have an awesome husband but I'm not sure I understand your question