OLIVE GARDEN HELPPP!!!!!

Options
My family is taking me out to the Olive Garden tonight and I need help!!!

What to eat, what to AVOID, substitutes, good meals? I know they have like a lighter fair menu? ANYONES help will be much appreciated :) THanks everyone!

Replies

• cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Their website has the nutritional values of their food. You could read up and figure out what you can have before you get there, so you're not so tempted by the heavier stuff.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My family is taking me out to the Olive Garden tonight and I need help!!!

What to eat, what to AVOID, substitutes, good meals? I know they have like a lighter fair menu? ANYONES help will be much appreciated :) THanks everyone!

May the force be with you! Olive Garden just sent me a gift card and I am dying over here because I so want to burn this card but italian food is so heavy.
    How about soup and salad? Or since you are getting taken out to dinner, can you suggest another place? Your family should be supportive of what you are trying to do.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Roasted chicken or baked fish is always ok, if you get pasta immediately put half of it in a to go box. Stay away from the breadsticks. Nothing breaded (chicken or fish). Crab is low cal too.

Whatever you decide, eat only half, start out by putting half of it away immediately in a to go box. Eat only one serving of salad because they put a lot of stuff on there, unless you research ahead of time to know how much you can have. No breadsticks.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I would suggest asking them to take you somewhere else. You said Olive Garden and I thought "MMMMMMMM Chicken Scampi". I should look up the calories in that dish. It would be really, really hard not to get a big plate of creamy pasta. But, if they refuse to take you somewhere else, just check out the menu online ahead of time and figure out what you will have.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I get the apricot chicken dish - it's not terrible nutritionally and it's pretty tasty.

There are lots of BAD dishes there so be careful - check out their website.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Go to the website... I was just there, and they have upgraded their nutritional info to include most if not all of their menu items. I saw quite a few that were at least reasonable, and even a couple that would fit nicely. Their apricot chicken is only 380 calories, if you like that sort of thing.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Pretend like this meal will be the last you ever have on this earth and tell yourself you want to enjoy the whole experience. That means eat slowly and mindfully. Be into the entire experience--the scents, the textures and feel of the food in your mouth, the taste, the sight (boy, can they present their food!), and the sounds. Enjoy your conversations with your family and commit every bit to memory. Concentrate on the experience, not the fact that you're eating.

That being said...

I would get a to-go box right away with the meal and throw half of whatever comes out from the kitchen into it as soon as it comes out. I know that those servings are easily twice what one should be eating.

Also, if you can help it, don't eat the breadsticks--or stick to just one or 1/2 (and it it VERY slowly, savoring each morsel!). If you get the salad with your meal, try to ask for the dressing on the side (they are usually VERY generous with that dressing and the sodium if not the calories in the dressing will really send you over the edge). Personally, I'd take the soup rather than the salad--minestrone, of course. The only downfall to the soup that I see (well, other than it's bottomless and that can cause all sorts of problems) is all the sodium that OG puts into it (and all their food, for that matter :smile: ).

Definitely drink TONS of water as you're eating. It will help you from overeating (by helping to fill up your stomach) and it will help you to combat all the sodium that you're taking in.

If you must get a dessert, opt for one of the lighter ones shown on their nutrition facts--and see if you can split it with someone. Again, savor every morsel and eat slowly.

I hope that this helps out!!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • emkay617
    emkay617 Posts: 17
    Options
    Get the mixed grill... its steak and chicken with peppers and onions. I thought it would be bland but its turned out to be SOOOO tasty and flavorful- packed with herbs & spices (no heavy marinades or sauces). It comes with Tuscan potatoes- ask for only half the serving or none at all. Don't eat the bread sticks! Once you have one you can't stop. Lastly, they have light italian dressing for the salad that comes to the table so make sure you ask for it! GOOD LUCK- stay strong!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That would be so hard! I LOVE the breadsticks. Good luck on your choice. They do have some stuff that would be fine for you. And most of all ENJOY!!! :-D
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Check online for the values. I am a vegetarian and have a hard time finding food to eat out. The last time I REALLY wanted the eggplant parmesian but it was 850 CALORIES. I am not one to half eat this. I got online and ended up having the minestrone soup (100 calories) a very small salad (their salad is WAY high in calories unless you ask for it without dressing but what is the point :laugh: ) and ONE breadstick (that is what really killed me). It is doable if you really search for it. If you want something else, just make sure you exercise extra.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I LOVE eating at Olive Garden! I always do the soup salad and breadsticks since it's cheap AND can fit into my plan. I LOVE minestrone soup and for 100 cals a bowl... it's my FAVORITE part. Love that 2nd bowl. Yes, it's thru the roof on the sodium, but one night of crazy sodium won't kill you and won't affect your weight loss.. just make your scale show a little higher for a day or two till you flush it out. Sometimes I decide ONE breadstick is worth it for 150 calories... sometimes it's not. I actually don't think their breadsticks are as good as they use to be. Pretty sure they changed the recipe. And on the salad I don't let them grate any cheese into it and ask for the LIGHT italian dressing *on the side*. Then I dip my fork into the dressing before each bite of salad and it gives me enough flavor to make me happy. :smile: Check here http://www.olivegarden.com/menus/garden_fare/nutrition_information.asp if that doesn't appeal to you. You can totally handle this! Just go with a plan! And remember how GREAT you'll feel when you walk out of that restaurant proud of yourself and knowing you are still on track to meet your weight loss goals!
  • Jfowro
    Jfowro Posts: 6
    Options
    I met friends recently at Olive Garden to celebrate a birthday. I got on the website and decided what I was going to get before going. I also had a snack while in the car before I got there so I wouldn't be starving and less likely to make good choices (and avoid the bread). Also, you can ask for the salad without their dressing. It has a surprising amount of calories (according to their website) if you use the regular dressing. I just brought one of those small individual serving cups you can get at the grocery store. I actually felt good leaving (not deprived) knowing I made good choices. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely will avoid the breadsticks, and get the light dressing on the side with the salad. Found they have the "garden fare" menu which looks really good.

Some of you said you tried the chicken dishes, anyone else try anything ELSE from it they liked?! :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get pasta noodles, they do have whole wheat if you request it.