Need help with "My Foods"...

Options
If I try to enter, for example, Chicken Tenders, and select "not a duplicate - don't share" I get the error message "Please correct the following errors: An item with this brand and description already exists." Well yes...it DOES exist. The problem is there are almost 50 variations of chicken tenders! I do not want to have to search through a whole list of stuff to find the one that matches my chicken tenders. And I certainly do not want to add yet another variation of chicken tenders to the public database. So...how can I add MY chicken tenders to MY foods for MY use and when I search, only MY chicken tenders show up...or at least are on top of all the other ones - what am I missing?? This is the absolutely only thing that bugs me about this website - not a deal breaker, though, 'cause there's way too many other goods things MFP to make this a deal breaker, but it is aggravating!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    maybe you could try to add it as a recipe?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding your name or "my" to the title.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is to hit "quick tools" under the "add food" tab and just add the calories. Otherwise, I don't know.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree, just add it to your recipe and elect "not to share" with the other MFP people
  • bebeschtroumph
    bebeschtroumph Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Use the brand name, or, if they're homemade, use a recipe.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Recipes need at least three ingredients. I tried adding one with only 2 ingredients and it wouldn't let me.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    If it finds a potential duplicate, I think there is a button at the bottom of the page that says "Nope, this is not a duplicate"? Then you should be able to proceed from there.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    Just change the name, thats what i do, like add your first name to it for the name brand, and then the chicken tenders part.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pick one of the 50 results that comes up, at the point where you pick how many servings of what size... right below the name of the food is a "nutrition info link"

click that

check the info. Remember I said pick ONE... You're not doing this for all them.
    If the info lines up with your box confirm the info as correct, counts as a verification and may spawn in my foods... OR click no, edit whatever is different from your label and close it. Since you edited an item it certainly comes up at the top of the results when you search for tenders again, without the * indicating it was submitted by another user. IE it uses the info you gave, and it's at the top of the results window
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you find one you like and eat them fairly often you can find the one you used under your recent foods. You can have recent foods come up with ALL recent foods or certain meals only.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When you add it put your name first like "amy's lasagna". That's how I do it and it works for me.
  • DeluxeDiva2B
    DeluxeDiva2B Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea! (They are ALL excellent ideas!) I hadn't thought of that! But that answers another question I had - Why do some foods have an asterick and some don't?! And since I eat most of the same foods, I could "name brand" them DD2B for generic foods (for DeluxeDiva2Be!), DD2BB for Breakfast foods, DD2BL for Lunch, etc. Good workaround!! But for any programmers out there listening, it would be nice to have a "Private" food option! Thanks much!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The * is explained at the bottom of every search result window for food, just below the box that contains results.

*= Nutritional information provided by another MyFitnessPal member

Lack of the * = a personally edited food or something supplied by MFP.