Numb toes on elliptical

Options
Hi Everyone,

When I exercise on the elliptical I sometimes notice that my toes feel tingly and sometimes go numb, Anyone have this same problem? Any recommendations on how I can elliminate this feeling when on the elliptical?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• jenhudgins
    Options
    I get that too. My whole feet go numb. I heard if you loosen the strings on your shoes, it may help but I haven't had any luck with that, and my shoes are brand new.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Lots of people experience this. It is just because your feet are in that same position for so long. It gets better the more you do it. Either pause the machine and lift your feet off the steps and kinda stretch them out, or go slower and lift your feet up off the step when it goes up. That is always what I do and it really helps!
  • VKanzler
    VKanzler Posts: 14
    Options
    My toes did that every now & then when I used the elliptical, but then I started watching how I positioned my feet. Maybe your toes are too close the the front of your shoes, or you are strictly using your toes for movement, instead of your whole foot...I hope you figure it out!!!
  • tinaphil2
    Options
    This happens to me all the time too! I've thought of just going barefoot on the elliptical (no need for the shock absorption of shoes) to see if that will help. If I stop and wiggle them, that seems to work too.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    My toes did that every now & then when I used the elliptical, but then I started watching how I positioned my feet. Maybe your toes are too close the the front of your shoes, or you are strictly using your toes for movement, instead of your whole foot...I hope you figure it out!!!

This is what used to happen to me on the elliptical - I noticed that I had a tendancy to run on the balls of my feet, which caused my toes to go numb over time. So switch it up, and as much as possible, try to use your whole foot on the machine. It'll take some re-getting used to, but it will start to feel better.

When this happens to me, I just go in reverse for 2 mins - that usually helps with relieving my feet of the numbness, and gives you a new dimention on your workout :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I find rolling my feet during my stride helps with that somewhat, but it's never completely gone away for me.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while. I changed how my foot was positioned and started wearing my custom inserts and it stopped in time.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get numbness when I run. Its only on my right foot, never the left. I have noticed its better when I don't lace so tightly.
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    this happens to me usually around the 25 minute mark. I hate the feeling so much that I stop my workout. Here is what I have found works for me:

wiggle my toes through-out the whole workout and pick up my feet, shifting them around.

I found that if I start this around minute 2... I can last longer!!

Good luck!!
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    It happened to me all the time. One day it started to get better- I suspect it had a lot to do with my fitness level going up, and my circulation improving. The other thing that helped, I think, is wearing Vibram FiveFingers. My feet are just much more comfortable in them!
  • nbanks555
    Options
    this happens to me all the time too, I thought I was crazy, glad to see it happens to others lol I actually went barefoot the last time I did it, socks on, and I went for an hour with no numb toes! Maybe it has something to do with how you position your feet with shoes on because I have tried all kinds of things to make it stop & so far no shoes has worked best for me!!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    From another post a friend posted:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438406-top-10-mistakes-you-make-on-the-elliptical-trainer

I have seen so many of these things done on an Elliptical machine I thought I would just share it with you! In case you didn't know these are from Fitbie.com and I thought they were amazing tips, especially because I am wanting to learn how to better at this:

1. You’re too lazy to enter your information.
    Most machines are calibrated for a 150-pound person—but personalizing your stats will help you get a more accurate calorie read. Aim to burn around 100 calories per 10 minutes, says Jennifer Cassetty, an exercise physiologist.

2. Your resistance is zero.
    You might feel like a million bucks spinning at a mile a minute, but without resistance, you’re not going to see results, says Röbynn Europe, a personal trainer at Chelsea Piers in New York City. Make sure that you’re using enough resistance to push and pull through the stride. Then, continue at a moderate pace until you feel like you’ve done all you can do. “You shouldn’t feel like you have even 5 minutes left in you when you step off,” she says.

3. You’re a sloucher.
    Standing up straight helps to lengthen your abs, giving you a chance to engage your core and even work your upper body muscles, Cassetty says. Certified personal trainer Neal I. Pire, MA, CSCS, president of Inspire Training Systems in New Jersey, recommends hopping on a machine with an upper body component so you can engage even more muscles—and blast more fat. Can't find a machine that lets you pump your arms? Let go: Some research suggests that leaning on machine armrests during exercise reduces calorie burning.

4. Your machine sounds like it’s going to take off.
    If you can hear the purr of the machine while you’re exercising, it means that you’re going too fast without enough resistance—which means you’re not getting the most calorie burn out of your time, Cassetty says. Keeping a steady, moderate pace at a resistance that forces you to use your muscles will get, and keep, your heart rate up.

5. You don’t change directions.
    Going backwards doesn’t just stop you from getting bored, it also changes which large muscle groups are working hardest, according to Europe. While moving forward fatigues your quads, backwards puts emphasis on your hamstrings and glutes. To max out the effect, sit back slightly, keeping your knees at a 90-degree angle as you stride.

6. You haven’t changed your workout in months.
    Intervals are a great way to break up the monotony of the machine and boost your calorie burn, says Europe. You can do this in one of two ways: Leave the resistance steady and change your pace (fast for 1 minute; moderate for 4) or maintain your speed and change your resistance (challenging resistance for 1 minute; moderate for 4).

7. You spin until you can’t feel your feet.
    One of the most common elliptical mistakes is putting too much pressure on your toes, which can make your feet go numb and cut your workout short. Instead, sit back into your heels, which allows large muscle groups to work harder and gives you the stamina to go for longer, according to Cassetty.

8. You don’t work your upper half.
    Incorporate the moving handles two days a week to put your upper body to work, and hang on to the stable handles on the others, says Cassetty. When you’re working your arms and legs, try intervals—focus on your arms for 1 minute, then pump your legs for 4, and repeat through your workout.

9. You spin your way up a hill.
    Some models have a ramp incline, similar to a treadmill. But, unlike a treadmill, a large incline won’t increase the difficulty—instead, it’s easier for your legs to push and pull through the stride.

10. You’re an elliptical junkie.
    As tempting as it may be to shoot straight to the elliptical every time you enter the gym, you should never be using one machine exclusively, says Europe. Supplement your routine with weight training and other cardio equipment, such as the rower. Making sure you incorporate variety keeps your body from getting used to a single movement and also continues to help you build muscle mass—which, in turn, will keep your metabolism boosted.

Hope this helps.