Unsweet tea????

Options
I have heard from people unsweet tea is unhealthy. Opinions PLEASE!!!

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why sweetener would make tea, or anything else, more healthy. Nonsense.
  • lirpa1987
    Options
    I think you missed my point... I LOVE unsweet tea but people are saying I shouldnt drink it...
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Are they saying that unsweetened tea is LESS healthy than sweetened tea, or just that it isn't as healthy as water? The first makes no sense. The 2nd might be true, since tea has caffeine, but there's also some evidence that it might help prevent cancer. Either way, it isn't bad: certainly better than almost anything else you could be drinking (water and limited quantities of skim milk are probably the only things better).
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sweetness always add more calories either you use direct sugar or any sugar replacements.

Try drinking Green Tea, without addding any sweetener. This will increase the chances of getting slimming down more rapidly. I've tried this and has seen the results.
  • lirpa1987
    Options
    Personally I love unsweetened tea... always have preferred it... im thinking of switching it up between green tea and decaffienated tea....:drinker: just needing advice and opinions
  • luvwindycity
    luvwindycity Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how unsweet tea is not good for you. If you are concerned about the caffeine you can buy decaf tea also. I always start my day with a cup of green tea but don't drink too much more green tea during the day than that.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would like to know what's unhealthy about it.

I am slowly switching off of coffee (that I have creamer and sugar/substitute in) to unsweetend iced tea in the mornings. It's refreshing, barely any calories and gives me the caffeine kick I want.

Soooo what could be wrong with it?
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    Short of the caffeine, which is roughly 1/3 the caffeine of coffee, I can't see there being any negative health effects from drinking tea.
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    I drink unsweetened Ice tea almost everyday. :D I usually get mine each morning from Cumberland Farms on my way to work. When you add it to your food diary there is pretty much zero of everything. Now I do add sweeten low to it which most people frown apon and I must admit that I do feel bad about using sweeten low but I can't drink it any other way!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Did any of them go into detail re: why they think this? It's kind of a broad statement...
  • lirpa1987
    Options

Did any of them go into detail re: why they think this? It's kind of a broad statement...

Sadly no... just saying its as unhealthy as soda
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Sadly no... just saying its as unhealthy as soda

Compare contents of a diet soda to what an unsweet iced tea would be..... it reads "crap and more crap" vs "Tea from tea bag".

In the end what truly determines it's health value is whether it's bottled tea, instant tea, or homebrewed iced tea. Bottled tea is going to have more crap in it....instant tea a little less....homebrewed is generally going to be the best option.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Caffeine isn't exactly healthy, but a little never hurt. And unsweet tea is better than sugar and calorie-free. I get so tired of people telling others what they can and cannot consume on this website. The login page clearly states "eat what you want". Good grief!!
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There is nothing unhealthy about unsweetened tea, unless they're referring to a small amount of caffeine. Tea has many health benefits - antioxidants for example. The only thing I can think of other than the caffeine that they're talking about may be that they think you're still adding tons of artificial sweetener...
  • Mcoffee96
    Mcoffee96 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with unsweet tea, although my family revoked my southerner card last time I ordered it out in public. :)
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is NOT unhealthy! It counts toward your water intake.
  • lirpa1987
    Options

Thats melts my butter
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Thats melts my butter

I wouldn't count it towards water intake but it still isn't going to hurt. I have it when we go out to eat. Though I'll drink diet sodas if we are eating fast food because you can't ever be certain that they have kept the unsweet fresh.

And I don't care what anyone thinks about me eating fast food or drinking diet soda!!:tongue: