how to cook new veggies???? what is your favorite veggie rec

Options
krista010105
krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
i am a horrible cook, my mom never taught me how to cook so we live off burgers pizza hot dogs and hamburger helper

i have to get off this horrible diet. and get my family on a good track.

the extent of our vegies is lettuce and tomato on sandwiches

can corn and green beans

we are just starting to eat more broccoli from the steam fresh bags.

i have tried the steam fresh frozen bags of carrots and peas and didnt like them.

cauliflower was managebale but not good tasting.

i tend to judge things before i eat them just based on the look or texture.

i hate onions!!!!! mushrooms and olives and peppers i wont even try growing up.

its time to grow up and get my husband healthy.

what are your favorite ways to cook veggies that your kids will eat too.

and any other recipes you would like to share.

Replies

• jeanie402000
    jeanie402000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie recipe probably isn't very healthy. I take half a package of bacon, chop it up, and fry it til its crispy in a big pot. When its done, I leave it in there and add two 16-oz packages of frozen green beans, and a handful of cleaned and cut up red potatoes and enough water to cover it all. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook on med/low heat till the veggies are all done to your liking. We like them good and done. You could also try slicing up some yellow squash and steaming them, then spraying some of that low-cal butter spray on them.
  • XEater
    XEater Posts: 3
    Options
    First of all...good for you in trying new things and helping your family! Have you tried roasting vegetables? It tends to bring out the "sugars" in them and they are quite tasty. Even my husband likes them this way. Start your family out small, maybe roast more potatoes in the mix.......Take some potatoes and wash them, dice them into about 3/4 inch pieces (or you can cut them like fries), Dice up some other veggies like red or green peppers (I know, I know you said you didn't like them but please try!), if you have access to corn on the cob....husk those and cut them in rounds about 2 inches, fresh veggies of any kind. Put them in a big bowl and sprinkle with olive oil which is good for you. Put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam (or not), sprinkle with salt, and roast them in a hot oven...about 425-450 for about 30 - 45- minutes...just watch them and test a potato by sticking a fork in it to see if it is done. The potatoes will brown a bit. Serve with ketchup. My husband actually asks for a "veggie night" now and he was like you!
    Oh, and I like to use Kosher salt which has bigger salt flakes instead of regular but you sure can use the regular salt.
    Best of luck to you and again, good for you in trying new things!