Starting C25K

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to both C25K and any type of community support group! I figured I could use the support of others to keep my motivated when I feel like giving up! I've been trying to lose weight so that my husband and I can start a family and I will be as healthy as possible. I have a history of bulimia though, so nutrition has always been an issue, I'm hoping that by adding running to my regimen I will be motivated to be stay on the straight and narrow and not fall back into bad habits. Today was day 1 and I thought I was going to DIE, I couldn't even do the 25 minute cool down walk, my legs were like jello and I just kinda crumbled to the floor in a puddle of sweat and laid there until I could finally breath again! LOL Please tell me I'm not wasting my time because I'm too out of shape for this.... Thanks!

Replies

• dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    C25K is great for beginning runners!!! I did it twice... once on the treadmill and once outside (but I started outside in week 5). I ran my first 5K the week after I completed the program outside... and I ran it in under 35 minutes! I was NEVER a runner before... Probably because I just used to go out there and give it my all... as fast as I could, as far as I could. I slowly fizzled. But I kept with it with C25K because it starts you out slowly with running/walking and gradually builds you up.

I actually enjoy running most of the time now. I've run 2 5Ks, and I'm signed up for a 5 mile run in Feb!

Stick with it... it does get better and easier. And if you have to... repeat weeks... No shame in that. And remember... no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch!!!
  • jpsnickel
    Options
    I know that feeling! I started C25k last fall, but then had to give up due to winter. Over the summer I was able to get back to it for a little bit, but unfortunately life took over and I wasn't able to commit the time. But now I'm back on board after joining a gym in December. I'm up to Week 3, Day 2 and I feel great! You can do it!! I have never been a runner, and I'm definitely not in running shape, but keep at it, you will be amazed at how you progress. Doing the 3 minute runs scared the bejesus out of me, but I love how natural they come to me now. Give it time, don't give up, and if you need to repeat a day before moving on, that's okay too!
    Jen
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Go to facebook and take a look at the "The couch to 5k program" page. Good info and GREAT community support there.
  • my2gr8boys
    Options
    I just started the C25K today too! I've never run before, but absolutely loved it! I know what you are saying about your legs feeling like jello! Mine were pretty bad too! But I made it, and you can too!!! Keep it up! Friend me if you want, we can support each other through it! Good luck!! :)
  • niklynne
    Options
    I am living proof the C25K works. I started in August 2011... when I could literally could not make the 60 seconds without wanting to vomit and cry! I am now, 6 month later I am training for a 1/2 marathon!!

Stick with it! Do weeks over if you feel you need to! JUST DON'T STOP!

Details of my journey: http://parentingfortheinsane.blogspot.com/2012/01/brink-of-insanity.html