If you had only $500...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
to spend on exercise equipment for your home (and own nothing) what would you buy? Where would you start?

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    dumbbells, a mat, stability ball, HR monitor, plyometric box or aerobics step
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Elliptical....I love the gym ones so it'd cost a lot more
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A $500 machine is usually pretty crumby. I have a $500 treadmill that I got used for $100, but the motor burned out so I spend another $100+ buying a new one, which took me an hour to install. A lot of people swear by the Gazelle, which I've never tried, but for $100, it gets high marks on Amazon. A BowFlex home gym is pretty great for strength training at home, although I find the annoyance of setting up each exercise makes me use mine less than I should and I am looking into their adjustable barbell system and a good weight bench instead. Since most people buy these things and then never actually use them, you can usually find them on craigslist for cheap.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely weights. You could probably also get an inexpensive stationary bike (or scour craigslist for someone else's elliptical or treadmill). I had an inexpensive elliptical once and it was crappy. I traded it to my friend for her crappy treadmill. Good equipment is expensive. I personally can't see the difference between an expensive stationary bike and an inexpensive one.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    kettlebells
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow I wish -- a treadmill and a home gym - so I would be sorted for the cariovascular and the weight training!
  • HendersonDavid
    Options
    All-in-one: pull up and dip station with arm chair.
    -> Body Vision PT600 Power Tower

$120-$170

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hHrWSGWwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cap Barbell RSWB-40TPB Dumbbell Set, 40 Pounds
    $50

http://www.fitnessequipmentuniverse.com/prodimages-cdls/cpb/cpb-RSWB-40TP-L.jpg

Gymboss interval timer
    $20

http://www.gymboss.com/images/black_new.jpg

Resistance bands
    Varies ($20-$50)

http://www.makeoverfitness.com/images/stories/resistance-bands.jpg

Thats it.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you have to have a home gym? Because for $500, that can buy you a membership at a gym so you can try everything out to actually KNOW what you'd enjoy and what you wouldn't like to own. You could take classes to know if you like yoga, kickboxing, etc and then you could buy videos for home if you like those classes. You can use the weights there to see what exercises you like to do and what you don't. Try the treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, steppers....
    You can buy a treadmill, but if it bores the heck out of you, what is the point in owning it if it will just sit at your house?
    IMO, you shouldn't need to ask what to spend the money on--you should spend the money finding out what you really enjoy and will STICK WITH for the long term and then you'll know what to buy.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I have a PS3 and bought EA Sports Active for it. I also was given a great set of exercise bands by my mother-in-law.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    Really good shoes - professionally fitted (that's about $100) and a pedometer to start. Then I'd get my butt outside to walk for my cardio. If it's raining or snowy, I'd do the stairs.

A set of weights (2#, 5#, 8#, 10#, 15#), a yoga mat and a couple of workout videos. Jillian Michaels are good and she now has one that is just 24 minutes.

Take a couple of workout plan books out of the library and read them. Buy the one you like best that offers the best program. For books, I like Body for Life and Body for Life for Women.

Definitely skip a heavy machine like a treadmill, elliptical, crosstrainer, or bike - unless you can get a really good one used. Good ones are expensive, even lower quality ones are expensive!
  • nikki1anna
    Options
    an xbox and fitness games. It's what keeps me going =)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Is there a reason you have to have a home gym? Because for $500, that can buy you a membership at a gym so you can try everything out to actually KNOW what you'd enjoy and what you wouldn't like to own. You could take classes to know if you like yoga, kickboxing, etc and then you could buy videos for home if you like those classes. You can use the weights there to see what exercises you like to do and what you don't. Try the treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, steppers....
    You can buy a treadmill, but if it bores the heck out of you, what is the point in owning it if it will just sit at your house?
    IMO, you shouldn't need to ask what to spend the money on--you should spend the money finding out what you really enjoy and will STICK WITH for the long term and then you'll know what to buy.

Maybe what she likes she could do at home?
    If I could afford a home weight room I would never step in my gym again
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    i would buy the kinect for my xbox and all the dancey pantsy/zumba games. love that shiz.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Yes, b/c I have a gym membership, and a free gym in my office :) But this was prompted by my sister and my PT and I was curious.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    an xbox and fitness games. It's what keeps me going =)

Now, I'd rather buy shoes :)
  • philip31
    philip31 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Definately an inexpensive stationary bike.. I got mine for $200 NZD and it's thanks to this that i lost 30kg..
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    rowing machine.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    A gym is just not feasible for everyone. I have 2 jobs and 2 kids. I live 20 minutes from the nearest gym. With my stationary bike, I can get an hour in before I wake the kids up for school. The only way I would be able to do that at a gym is leave my kids home alone sleeping...not going to happen.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Really good shoes - professionally fitted (that's about $100) and a pedometer to start. Then I'd get my butt outside to walk for my cardio. If it's raining or snowy, I'd do the stairs.

A set of weights (2#, 5#, 8#, 10#, 15#), a yoga mat and a couple of workout videos. Jillian Michaels are good and she now has one that is just 24 minutes.

Definitely skip a heavy machine like a treadmill, elliptical, crosstrainer, or bike - unless you can get a really good one used. Good ones are expensive, even lower quality ones are expensive!
    I agree. I also would also get some Leslie Sansone dvds to alternate with JM.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Probably a set of dumbbells (probably up to 50# so hubs could use them too) and various workout videos if there was any $$ left over. We did a stint of P90X and it was super annoying not having the right weights/having to change weights for each exercise.

If we didn't already have the iron gym bar, that or some sort of pull-up bar would be on the list too.