Saving calories

Options
Can you `save` some calories each day for use at weekend?

I used to do Weight Watchers and you could save up to 4 points a day as long as you kept within your weekly total.
Thanks. Helen

Replies

• sweetiii2
    Options
    I've done it successfully just about every week since I started with my fitness pal. I generally come in slightly under my goal during the week, and then go slightly over on weekends. I like to use the "weekly" bar graph on the homepage of the mobile app; as long as the bar representing my average intake for the week ends up at my goal, I'm happy.
  • helse
    helse Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Im going to need to be on 1200 so am I OK to maybe use 1000 per day to save 200?
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Lots of people will say that eating only 1000 each day isn't that great for you, and I tend to agree. However, if you count exercise calories, I'd suggest doing a few exercise sessions and saving extra calories for the weekend, sticking to your 1200 each day.

I've done a mini-version of this if one day is far over or far under; I personally don't think a few days of 800-100 calories are that harmful, but if you have anything important to do (i.e. a job or family time) make sure you realize that only that many calories will drastically impact your energy level.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Generally going under 1200 isn't the greatest for you.

It's ok to go over now and again. Try to fit in some extra exercise the day you are going to go over and you'll be fine.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I view my calories on a weekly basis. I'm aiming for 2lb per week loss, so over the course of a week, I want to have eaten 7,000 calories less than I use up through normal daily activity (sitting on my backside in front of a PC!) and exercise. That means, if I eat a little more than I should one day, I either do a few more minutes on the treadmill, or eat less for the rest of the week. And if I want to "bank" some calories I factor it in to the week's plan. The requirement to stick religiously to 1,200 net calories every day doesn't suit me - I don't exercise every day, which would mean having 1200 calories on the days I don't exercise, and up to 2200 on the days I do exercise - makes much more sense, to me, to even it out and eat, say, 1700 on both days.

So I factor in my weekend treats as part of the overall weekly position - just making sure that my net deficit is in the region of 7,000.
  • helse
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Does it work if my excercise is in the week but I dont eat the calories Ive earned until the weekend?

This probably seems very obvious to those used to calories but Ive only done weight Watchers before and that let you work on your weekly total rather than daily so you could save your earned points.
  • helse
    Options
    Thanks EllieMo, I must have been writing my post while youd done yours.