MFP calories ??

Options
So I had a test done today with the body pod. This told me what my muscle to fat ratio was & how many calories & such to eat......MFP is telling me my daily goal should be 1200, this said like 2200...my exercise therapist told me to up my calories for sure! He said my body will go into starvation mode & I won't lose anything if I don't...but 2200 seems like wayyy too much, how much should I up it??

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Was the 2,200 including the exercises your trainer was suggesting you do? If you are doing 1,000-calorie burn every day, you do need to fuel that, which is why when you enter that you did exercise resulting in a 1,000 calorie burn, MFP automatically adjusts your goal for that day and tells you to eat more food. 2,200 calories would indeed be waaay too much if you just sat on your butt all day, but probably too little if you were running for an hour (or walking for three for that matter)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Also, the Body Pod might be a total pile of hooey.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can easily lose weight while consuming 2100-2200 NET calories a day. So, depending on your activity level -- it IS possible that you could consume that many calories and still lose weight. A 1200 calorie "diet" is not ideal for everyone (definitely isn't for me.. I would be threatening to eat my own limbs, small children and neighborhood dogs if I were only allowed 1200 calories a day!).

I think perhaps you should do some research on your own. There are a ton of sites out there with BMR calculators (MFP has one!) and sites that have TDEE calculators, etc. While these are all a bit of a guesstimation, they'll give you a general idea of where your calories should be for the day.

My BMR is 1338. My TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2449 (for my work days and around 2358 for non-working days). This explains why I can easily maintain my current weight consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day.
  • estenger1
    Options
    It just depends on your individual body. For example, MFP tells me i need to be consusimg around 2100 calrories per day. I just had a Bioletrical Impedence Anaylsis (BIA) done and it said around 2200 calories and I had a Bod Pod done and it says around 2100 and I am 6 foot and 170lbs. It all depends what your settings are for sedentray, active, very active levels of actvity. The bod pod is the second most accurate source for body composition behind the DEXA scan.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    A BodPod is an EXCELLENT test and is definitely not a "pile of hooey". The most accurate you can do, really.

The 2200 they told you is MAINTENANCE.
    MFP tells you what to eat to LOSE.

So you have a 1000 cal deficit a day at 1200. That is a bit large unless you are still considered obese. Most people should not have a deficit that big. change it to 1700 a day, which is a 1 lb per week loss based on your BodPod calculations. Also, if you do hard exercise, eat most of those as well as your 1700 base.
    This will have you losing about a pound a week at a safe and healthy rate.
    Don't panic if it doesn't happen the first week as your body adjusts though...
  • belliott08
    Options
    Yeah the bodpod is defiantly a good test. I live on an AFB & that is were I had it done at, they don't spend money on junk. The thing is 1200 really didn't seems THAT low to me, it seems a little low but my body has gotten use to it. I have lost 6 pounds but I have also been exercising a lot. Mon-Fri I have a work out plan that I follow & on Sat & Sun I make sure I am still being active, taking walks, riding my bike, swimming. So I wasn't sure if that 2,200 was my daily calorie intake, as in I only eat 2,200 calories plus all my work outs or if it was 2,200 calories plus I can get extra if I work out, because I don't even think that is possible. The thing about MFP is it seems like EVERYONE is on a 1200 goal & idk how that is right???
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yeah the bodpod is defiantly a good test. I live on an AFB & that is were I had it done at, they don't spend money on junk. The thing is 1200 really didn't seems THAT low to me, it seems a little low but my body has gotten use to it. I have lost 6 pounds but I have also been exercising a lot. Mon-Fri I have a work out plan that I follow & on Sat & Sun I make sure I am still being active, taking walks, riding my bike, swimming. So I wasn't sure if that 2,200 was my daily calorie intake, as in I only eat 2,200 calories plus all my work outs or if it was 2,200 calories plus I can get extra if I work out, because I don't even think that is possible. The thing about MFP is it seems like EVERYONE is on a 1200 goal & idk how that is right???

Don't pay any attention to what everyone else is doing. Not everyone on MFP is on a 1200 calorie diet. A lot of people start there, but quickly realize it isn't what works for them.

Go ahead and continue what you're doing, but keep in mind.. if you stop losing -- try something new. I suspect you'll hit a plateau with only 1200 calories a day.