I could use some help w/food

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Lily and I could use some help.

I am down 44 lbs since July *yay* however all of my weight loss has been due to working out and busting through my sedentary lifestyle. I still don't have a handle on healthy eating and I know that I cannot continue to lose or maintain the weight loss unless I make the necessary changes.

Could someone/anyone/someones/anyones give me some tips and diet plan help?

I could also use some additional motivation and friends to keep me going. Please friend me :flowerforyou: :blushing:

Replies

• techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to eat better I started with what I drank - eliminating soda completely, switching to water, and moderating milk and juice. After making that change about a month or two later (soda was my biggest vice), I focused on changing my snacks from things like chips, chocolate, and candy to nuts, string cheese, fruits, and veggies. Once I was comfortable with my snacking, I started eating breakfest regularly. Typically I now eat yogurt smoothies with fruit, spinich, whey powder, and flaxseed. Then, I started to focus on healthy lunches and dinners. I think changing some over time is easier then trying to alter your whole diet at once.

I started with what I drank because it was the worse part of my diet - consuming about 1000-2000 calories a day in mountain dew. I prioritized from worse to best parts of my diet and only focused on one part at a time.

If you have a smart phone, the Fooducate app is helpful as well. You can take it to the store with you, scan items, and it will tell you what is good or bad about your choice. If your choice is not the best in that category, it will provide healthy alternatives. This has been helpful for me to learn about why certain food is good and why other food is bad.
  • rowder
    rowder Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Lily,
    I've gotten in the habit of looking at the nutritional value on the packages of food.
    I've gone from whole wheat bread to light rye; cold cut meats for sandwitches get extra scrutiny; bake instead of frying foods; cut waayyyyy back on sweets and increased fruit intake (not easy - I have a major sweet tooth).
    the MFP app for my iPhone helps a lot too... keep looking at it as a reminder of how well I'm eating.
    Hope this helps.
    Roger