Adapting Comfort Foods

I am looking for help adapting my favorite childhood meals to a lower sodium, lower calorie version.

I find that my big stumbling block is finding a replacement for Cream of Mushroom soup. Most of my mom's recipes included this (tasty but bad for me) ingredient.

Please help. If you have a recipe or substitute for Cream of Mushroom soup, please post it.

Thank you

Replies

• Smaller portions, then add sides of veggies.
  • Sorry, I don't have a direct substitute for condensed soup. It would depend on what else is in the recipe. Have you looked at the "Healthy Request" version of CoMS, though? According to Campbell's website, it has about half the sodium and lower fat.
  • You could try making your own, probably still isn't great for you but at least you can control what you put in it. Start with equal parts margarine (I use light) and flour. Melt margarine and stir in flour, whisk until smooth, add room temp or slightly warmed milk ( I use 2% or less) and wisk until right consistency. Can also do part milk and part chicken broth. Add seasoning as needed, but again you can choose what you like (I use onion powder, salt, and pepper). You can make this basic recipe into any cream soup you want by adding the required sauted vegies, for example: mushrooms, celery, onion, etc. For a basic cream of chicken soup just add more chicken broth than milk.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Smaller portions, then add sides of veggies.

Exactly. I can eat homemade macaroni and cheese and still stay within my calories. I just eat less.