drinking way too much water?

Options
I was just curious. I have my 32 ounce water jug that I carry everywhere. I am a chugger....so I'd say many days I drink at least 5 of these...which is around 160 ounces of water. Is that way too much? Could that show up as weight on the scale? Thanks!

Replies

• Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They say to drink half your weight. For example if you weight 200 you would have to drink 100 oz of water.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Remember you work out a ton every day. I don't exercise nearly as much as you do (not even close, HA!) and I easily drink over 100 oz. daily.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that before! Interesting. I'm 154...so that's not half. LOL
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day and have lost just fine. I think it would be extremely rare for anyone to drink "too much" water. It's a great habit to have!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day and have lost just fine. I think it would be extremely rare for anyone to drink "too much" water. It's a great habit to have!

It's also rather unnecessary. You dont have to drink water to get water. Tea/coffee/soda/juice/milk/fruit/veg all provide "water".
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that before! Interesting. I'm 154...so that's not half. LOL

Than you would have to drink 77oz of water. (154÷2=77) the more weight you lose the less water you take in and vise versa.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    You can technically over drink and drown yourself. When I was in bootcamp they had a minimum AND a maximum. It's VERY hard to get to that point. And you would be sick before then. If you enjoy water then have at it but also remember tea, juice, and other stuff counts too. :)
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Be careful, you actually can drink too much water and it can be harmful. A few years ago somebody died during the Boston Marathon because they drank too much water. http://www.remembercynthia.com/Hyponatremia_BostonGlobe.htm
  • afireswife
    afireswife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone says to drink 1/2 your body weight in water. Well I wasnt a believer until I started and I am down 5lbs in a week. I havent posted it yet because I actually gained close to 10 lbs due to a medical condition. If you havent seen a weight loss because you chug the water. Cut back to 1/2 your body weight rule and see what happens!! Good Luck!!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You should drink according to your body weight AND activity level AND environment. If you are working out hard, or it's very hot or cold, or a lot of other factors, you should increase your water intake.

Here's a good site to check out: http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. It is a condition called water poisoning, where you wash away too much sodium from your system. I had this happen to me and went into seizures. I doubt the amount you're drinking will cause that. I was also doing intensive cardio (2 hours plus) and avoiding sodium, so my balance was off.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just read about this. You can, and it causes an imbalance of sodium & electrolytes. Usually this sort of thing doesn't happen unless you're doing some serious training--like for a marathon. They say just to drink when you're thirsty.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd read--knew I could find it!

Hyponatremia. Some marathoners worry about drinking too little water during a race, but drinking too much of it during a time when you're sweating a lot may cause a dangerously low concentration of sodium in the blood. Ironically, hyponatremia has some similar symptoms to dehydration, such as dizziness and nausea. Slower runners and women because of their smaller body size are at greater risk.
    The fix? Simple: Drink only when thirsty, suggests Maharam, the author of the "Running Doc's Guide to Healthy Running.""

Here's the source: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45152812/ns/today-today_health/t/weird-things-happen-marathoners-bodies/#.Tx2xcyOTr-k
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. It is much more of a concern when you are doing extended periods of activity/sweating, like the marathon example, or have a very low sodium intake.
    The suggestion on half your weight is that, a suggestion, as is the 8x8 - 8 servings of 8 ounces of liquid (not just water). Going over that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Can it show up on the scale, yes, but that is temporary until it passes your system.

Drink enough so your urine is clear to pale yellow.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, I hope you don't mind. I noticed that there are many days where you do major workouts and burn 2000 calories?? During those workouts you might want to consider a sports drink that will help replenish not only the water you will be losing but also the salt and electrolytes too. Just a thought.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I was just curious. I have my 32 ounce water jug that I carry everywhere. I am a chugger....so I'd say many days I drink at least 5 of these...which is around 160 ounces of water. Is that way too much? Could that show up as weight on the scale? Thanks!

No, its not too much. Water is a diuretic. If anything, drinking a lot of water will help keep water weight down.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, I hope you don't mind. I noticed that there are many days where you do major workouts and burn 2000 calories?? During those workouts you might want to consider a sports drink that will help replenish not only the water you will be losing but also the salt and electrolytes too. Just a thought.
    Of course not! That's why it's open! I just finished Body Combat training...so the past two days are EXTREME. I usually burn around 1000 or so teaching most days though. :-)
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Im 153...I drink 80 oz a day.