How does an HRM work?

Options
So, I have been looking at the Polar HRM's as well as a few others... most look like they come in a watch form and also have a chest strap. Exactly how does this chest strap thing work? Do you only wear it when working out? I like the idea of having the HRM on my wrist so I can see it I am just so confused about the chest strap! Thanks!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The chest strap takes you pulse from your near your heart and transmits it to your watch, this is done constantly during your workout. Most just watch ones only take your pulse when you hold the button, so it is not continuous so your HR for the whole workout is unknown.

HRM's are only accurate at calculating caloires burned during steady state cardio as the calculation built in assumes a certain oxygen uptake that doesn't occur during strength training or moving around during the day.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes, at least mine comes with a strap. I bought a simple one..I got the polar ft4 and I must say I love it! You put the chest strap on and then It synchs to the watch. It tells you how many calories you burned and what your heart rate is. I love it! by far the best investment so far, other than a gym membership.

You only where it while working out. I love it, and I don't even know I am wearing the chest strap. I like the fact that it tells me a more accurate calorie count. I struggle with not eating enough so I know if my hrm says I bured 600 calories, I should eat a few extra..

Friend me if you'd like. I think it is well worth the money..with that said I would get a polar..spend the extra it is worth it

DAwn
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Which part is confusing? The watch is just the "computer" part. The strap is what's actually taking your heart rate and then it transmits it to the watch. I have a Polar and it's great. The chest strap goes under your clothes and you can't see that you're wearing it unless they're very tight fitting. I even wear it under my swimsuit when I go swimming and you wouldn't know.
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine when I work out. I would get one with the chest strap as they are more accurate and count your calories burned compared to the strapless ones. I hjave the Polar FT4 and love it...very comfortable strap (feels like your bra). Good luck!!! :)
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a ft4, but have a question: likely a stupid question, but here goes...
    how do you use it when at the gym?? if you need to press start at the beginning of your work-out, do you need to life up your shirt to do so..lol...or do you press start on the watch.

Thank-you :)
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    oh! one more question: if worn on a strap under your shirt, does it "poke" out, can you see the device through your shirt as a little bump?
    Thank-you again
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a ft4, but have a question: likely a stupid question, but here goes...
    how do you use it when at the gym?? if you need to press start at the beginning of your work-out, do you need to life up your shirt to do so..lol...or do you press start on the watch.

Thank-you :)

You wear the strap underneath your clothes. I put mine on before I leave the house. You push a button on the watch to start recording your heart rate. The strap feels like a bra strap, and you don't notice it's there.

The transmitter is very small, and it is not visible outside of your clothing. There really isn't a bump. It doesn't get in the way of motion.