Walking or elliptical form

Options
I received a new elliptical for Christmas. I have typically always walked to exercise but am excited about the different muscle burn on the elliptical. I started to notice some tingling in the balls of my feet and toes. I thought perhaps my tennis shoes had a collapsed sole, so I went and bought new ones. I still noticed this tingling last night.

I started trying to put pressure on the heels of my feet to push forward and then end with pressure on the ball of my feet as it goes around. What is actually the proper form for walking or using the elliptical?

Thanks!

Replies

• starkarlis
    Options
    I hope someone can answer this question, I have the same issue!!!
  • Grinnix
    Grinnix Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tend to over-analyze, but am actually thinking my walking from is wrong. After thinking about this, I also notice that the balls of my feet are where my socks wear out first as well.

Just out of curiosity (if anyone knows), what kind of problems can arise from an improper walking form? A couple of years ago I had plantar fasciitis and was able to clear it up with proper shoes and gel inserts (took over a year, and this tingling is not associated with that issue). Now, I wonder if this could have contributed to it.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Your feet are falling asleep using the elliptical. Typically it is because you are doing it on your toes or balls of your feet, and your shoes are too tight. Try loosening the ties on your shoes a little. Push the pedals with your heels or your entire foot keep the toes loose and able to wiggle. It also helps to reverse your stride going forward a little while and backward a while. The higher your incline the more likely you are to be on the balls of your feet so alternate with a steep incline for a few minutes and back to a flatter one. It takes time to find you're right stride and foot placement keep trying different things. Oh and one more thing, try not to have your foot crammed into the front of the pedal, try staying more mid pedal.

Good luck!