Please Help!

Options
Hello. I have been trying to count calories as well as exercise but I feel as though the scale isnt moving fast enough. Everytime I weigh myself If I dont lose more than 3lbs a week i get discouraged and feel like giving up. I am well over my ideal body weight. Self esteem has never been a problem because I have always been "The Cute Fat girl". Lol. I have a daughter who I want to set an example for because I see she has inherited my genes. I have read plenty of success stories and I am ready for my dreams to become reality. I am ready. I am a nurse and my exercise routine includes exercising on the elliptical machine for 30 minitues at least twice a week. I need good advice and tips on how to stay motivated and get a good start. I appreciate all advice.

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    3lbs a week is Very good. Be patient :-) if you start to feel burnt out doing what you are doing, don't forget you can change your weight loss settings to something slower, 1lb a week, maybe even 1/2lbs a week (what I'm on).

Keep at it.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    3lbs a week is Very good. Be patient :-)

1a1a speaks the truth. 3 lbs a week is awesome! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll reach your goal, I promise :)
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    3lbs a week is Very good. Be patient :-)

^ That
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    3 lbs a week is a great accomplishment! I know it feels like the weight can't come off fast enough. But what I've learned is that all of the failed attempts because it took too long are a huge waste of time. You just have to keep with it. :) Try upping your time on the elliptical, or doing some yoga or pilates too. It's challenging, but you'll feel so good after.
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I agree that 3 lbs a week is great!! MFP doesn't even recommend losing that much per week (most websites / apps only recommend losing no more than 2 lbs per week) but you should stick with what you're doing and keep on counting calories. It takes perseverance... "Rome wasn't built in a day"... =) You'll get there!! If you're doing it for the right reasons (which it sounds like you are!!), things should work out!! I wish you luck with all your weight loss goals!! =)
  • geauxsaints1
    Options
    3 pounds is Very Good! Take it meal by meal and day by day. The motivation should be to be healthy. Cutting back too many calories will cause your body to think it is starving and will hang on to the weight. Exercising too much and you may hurt yourself and not be able to exercise. I like to change up my exercise routine and try a new cardio machine or getting outside for some exercise (weather permitting). Finding others to get healthy with that aren't going to make it a competition is wonderful! Find pants that are tight and use them as a scale. I would get frustrated getting on the scale once a week, be upset, beat myself up about not having any self control, eat a high fat/high calorie meal only to be right back where I started. I found pants that were 16, 14, 12 then 10. Be determined and remember how you felt about yourself and your weight before you made this decision to get the weight off and be healthy. Be determined to NOT be at that point again!
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    Great idea what Geauxsaints1 said about having a pair of pants that are tight and use them as a scale!
    I try not to weigh myself as I know it can be disappointing....if my clothes are fitting better/worse then I know I am doing well or need to work a bit harder!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    3lbs is awesome progress. 1lb a week consistently is good, so just keep it up :)
  • sandz2710
    Options
    3lbs a week is amazing :) well done!!!
    If you lose weight slowly and surely you're less likely to put it all back on...
    Keep at it, after all the tortoise wins the race in the end :wink: so slow is good, although I do know what you mean when you feel the weight can't shift quick enough!!!
    x
  • SassyB504
    SassyB504 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I needed this. Thanks so much.