Can you eat too much fiber?

Options
paj315
paj315 Posts: 335 Member
If you're not having any ahem..... side effects and drinking plenty of water. Is it bad? I am upwards of 32-35 grams per day. Just wondering.....

Replies

• monty_williams
    Options
    32-35 grams is close to the recommended daily amount of fiber. The ADA recommends at least 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men. A little more is not a bad thing, and the ADA also recommends increasing your daily fiber if your daily calories are higher than the average person's.

Side effects may be bloating and gas. Too much could interfer with digestion, resulting in cramps, and nutrient absorption, and way too much at once could result in blockage, but the amounts you're consuming do not put you at risk of that especially if you're drinking alot of water as you said.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I've eaten upwards of 50 grams per day of fiber in the past and the only downside was, well... let's just say there was a lot of pressure on the other end quite a bit of the time.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I increased my daily amount to 30g per day, and of course that increases when i workout to between 40-45 grams per day.

I usually end up eating close to or over that, and I don't have any bad side affects. This has been the standard for me for months.