Beginner weight training

Options
I would like to start weight training so that I can minimize the skin that will, inevitably, be left over after my weight loss.

SW: 369 (before recommitting this year, my absolute biggest in 2008)
Actual SW: 312
CW - 299
GW - 212
UGW - 175

Does anyone have an suggestions on what to concentrate on? My hubby and I joined the YMCA at the beginning of the year, so we have access to all of their equipment. Would I be good just doing rounds on those machines? I currently only do cardio three times a week, but would like to incorporate weights at least twice a week. What's best, more reps at a lower weight, or less reps at a higher weight?

I know I could research this on my own, but I would really like to hear from people who have actually been through this instead of relying on multiple answers on random websites.

Any help is much appreciated!

Replies

• beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    With your Y membership, you should get a certain amount of sessions with a trainer to get you started with circuit training. At my Y, you get 3 free sessions with a training to get you started.

To get started with weights, my trainer worked with me for about an hour to get me at the correct start weights (fatigue after 12 reps) and to show me how to properly set up each machine for my height. I just bump up my weights when I'm easily finishing a set of 12.

My trainer still emails me and checks on me when he sees me at the gym even though I never have done paid sessions with him. I think he would rather help people than stand around.