Experimental Muffins - Results *FLAT* Suggestions?

Options
eacatterton
eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
I have been trying lately to create healthier baking habits. (I love to bake). So I found a recipe for some muffins, but I altered it slightly to include some ingredients I wanted, and I used wheat flour instead of white. The result was not what I was looking for. They taste alright, but they are not "muffins". My husband actually called them hockey pucks :( They were flat and slightly dense. Maybe someone here can suggest something that will make this recipe work?

Ingredients:

King Arthur - Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup

Quaker Oats - Quick -1 Minute, 3/4 cup dry

Smart Balance - Free Fat Milk With Omega-3, 1 Cup

Berryhill (Aldi) {Correct} - Crunchy Peanut Butter, 10 tbsp.

Dole - Ripe Banana, 0.5 Medium Ripe

Egg - 70 Calories Candee - Raw, 1 egg

Mccormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp

Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.5 tbsp

This made 12 muffins. I am still eating them...they are just not what I was expecting.

Any comments will be appreciated!!! :)

Replies

• lovecellomusic
    Options
    add a tsp of baking powder it will help it rise
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    10 Tablespoons peanut butter?? Is it really 10?
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As someone else said baking powder will help rise, using all wheat flour will produce denser results though then all purpose white flour which isn't a bad thing just you won't get the same results.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Swapping for whole wheat bread flour will help, and so will adding 1 teaspoon baking soda or baking powder.

If they are still too dense, you could whip an egg white to medium stiff peaks, and fold it in gently at the end.....actually I might do both.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree you need baking powder, and maybe do half white and half whole wheat flour - that usually produces a better result then using all WW.