More sedentary than sedentary?

Options
How sedentary does the sedentary setting on MFP assume I am? Because honestly, if I'm not walking or biking, I am sitting on my butt at the computer or laying on the couch reading or watching tv. I'm not cleaning the house, cooking dinner, walking around the office making copies or anything. Plus, on the weekends I sleep at least 11 hours a night. Is that sedentary, or something WORSE. We're talking 500 calories between basal metabolic rate (sleeping all day) and sedantary.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How sedentary does the sedentary setting on MFP assume I am? Because honestly, if I'm not walking or biking, I am sitting on my butt at the computer or laying on the couch reading or watching tv. I'm not cleaning the house, cooking dinner, walking around the office making copies or anything. Plus, on the weekends I sleep at least 11 hours a night. Is that sedentary, or something WORSE. We're talking 500 calories between basal metabolic rate (sleeping all day) and sedantary.

That's me, too. Sedentary covers us, I think.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I sit a lot, but do housework, up and down the steps several times a day, take care of the pets, run errands, etc. and call myself lightly active. I believe a lot of people call themselves sedentary on here really aren't.
  • Rogue9613
    Options
    I believe the sedentary setting is pretty accurate. I'm currently on the road for work, and have absolutely no time or will for exercise beyond moving my hand across the keyboard/mouse/TV remote.. and I've still lost about 1lb/week at 1,400 cal/day.
  • vballscriscuolo
    vballscriscuolo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Haha, awesome topic btw......I think sedentary is jsut what it says.......sedentary, basically doing nothing except what you wrote which is me too btw) and I, personally don't consider cooking or cleaning to be "exercise"..............but I won't go there hahaha
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm with you and I've had good luck with the sedentary setting and weight loss. I don't log cleaning or cooking, or even walking, because I figure I'm not burning significant calories to need to eat them back. I'm on disability but I'm hoping since I'm about to be "recovered" from surgery that I can be a little more active soon.
  • vballscriscuolo
    vballscriscuolo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm with you and I've had good luck with the sedentary setting and weight loss. I don't log cleaning or cooking, or even walking, because I figure I'm not burning significant calories to need to eat them back. I'm on disability but I'm hoping since I'm about to be "recovered" from surgery that I can be a little more active soon.

I agree completely!!! anything I do on a daily basis I don't include as exercise because it's not like I'm taking special time to do it.....like cooking, cleaning, walking........it's something you do anyway so I don't want to "claim" the extra calories just as an excuse to eat them back