Miracle noodles?

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
http://miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx

saw these online and i'm interested but the price is to high so i was wondering if they were worth it. anybody else heard of this?

Replies

• silvercat64
    Options
    I think I've seen something similar at a local health food store.

What the heck, I haven't tried anything new lately. Back in a bit.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple packs at a local asian market. They're great for a low cal noodle option but I won't buy them again because I couldn't get over the texture! They're so mushy and slimy...I might have made them wrong since I only tried it once or twice.

I heard they're good in an asian stir fry but not just by themselves. You need to add veggies and sauces to make it taste good.

Also, don't buy them online it's more expensive. Any health food store or asian market will have them. They're called "shiritaki noodles". I got mine for a little over $1 per pack, and each pack has 2 servings (although let's be real here...for 40 cal you're probably just going to eat the whole thing).
  • haasil
    haasil Posts: 2
    Options
    I buy these noodles regulary online. They are a little differnt from the "shiritaki noodles", because they have 0 calories. I agree that the texture is defintely different, but I have found that if you fry these (w/o any oil or butter added) until most of the moisture is gone, they are not quite as mushy. They will take on the flavor of the food you make, so I usually fry alot of the mositure out then add the seasonings, such as garlic etc.. Also, these noodles are better the more time they sit in the sauce/etc. Again, these are very different in texture then regular noodles, but provides fullness and a lot less calories then had you cooked with noodles. I would recommend trying the "Shiritaki noodles" first to get an idea of the texture.
  • fmorpurgo
    Options
    I just bought some to see what they were like, and er well, lets just say they are strange! I wont be buying them again :grumble:
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have bought these - ONCE!
    They were disgusting. I couldn't get over the texture in my mouth, it made me feel terrible eating them. I actually couldn't finish the meal.
    But, if you want to give them a try - check out your local Asian store. You will find them in the refrigerated section.
  • silvercat64
    Options
    OK, I'm back. I cooked my Miracle "Noodles" according to package directions and dumped them in a bowl of coconut-ginger soup. They don't have much flavor of their own, and they have a texture like unflavored gummy worms. It's tolerable, but if you're expecting spaghetti-like noodles you're probably going to be horrified. :laugh:

I guess these "noodles" could be used to make a more filling soup or something, but personally I'd rather use beans or vegetables or something with nutritional content. I probably won't buy them again... but at least I can say I tried something new today.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm back. I cooked my Miracle "Noodles" according to package directions and dumped them in a bowl of coconut-ginger soup. They don't have much flavor of their own, and they have a texture like unflavored gummy worms. It's tolerable, but if you're expecting spaghetti-like noodles you're probably going to be horrified. :laugh:

I guess these "noodles" could be used to make a more filling soup or something, but personally I'd rather use beans or vegetables or something with nutritional content. I probably won't buy them again... but at least I can say I tried something new today.

this was very helpful, Thanks!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I bought some at Market of Choice and they had a decent price but they tasted aweful. The ones I got were the asian ones because I'm allergic to soy so I couldn't have the spaghetti ones and the texture is slimy and they just tasted yuck. I wouldn't recommend them but I have a friend who recommended them to me and she liked them, but she got the spaghetti ones. I can't tell you how those are since they are soy.
  • jcg926
    jcg926 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try them, but the reviews were too awfully mixed for me to feel confident that it wasn't going to be a waste of money. I'll stick with veggies, rice, and the occasional pasta.
  • Ladyhawk71
    Ladyhawk71 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Are they rice noodles~ I love rice noodles~.....:P
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    they have a texture like unflavored gummy worms.

THIS.
    They make me gag because of the texture xp
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They're kinda...squishy. They smell like fish when you open the package, but with some rinsing it (sorta) goes away. If you really want noodles, I guess they're a good substitute but I'm not a fan.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I have been reading about the shiritaki noodles for a while and finally went a bit mad and ordered some on the internet. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Someone out there got positive thoughts? I have read some rave reviews but now I'm worried.:frown:
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I grew up on stuff like this. :P My grandma was Japanese.
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Amazon has them. I've been wanting to try them. I think I'll order some right now.