Partitioning?

Options
JennieAL
JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
Here's a reply I got on the fitness subreddit today, it was in response to getting the last 5-10 lbs of stubborn fat off while lifting weights, doing the right cals in/cals out, etc, etc... yadda yadda yadda... What do you think?

"You can't just do a caloric deficit and expect all the weight to come off the right places. When you're on those last few lbs, you really need to focus that diet in perfectly. You need to be getting enough protein and carbohydrates to fuel your workouts at the right time to fuel them, without letting them get stored as fat. <---is this the "partitioning" I've read about? where your body can be tweaked to store cals as fat OR muscle, depending on several factors? I mean, I do believe I'm NOT getting enough protein... at least, on days I do weights. I know for a fact I'm not, but I was still researching which whey & casein powder I wanted to start out with... so, I knew that, but I wasn't ready to plunk down money... I've since decided on ON, for both. Whey after my workouts and casein before bed on days I'm going to workout the next day. So... if I take fish pills, eat around 40% protein, use whey right after a strength training session, etc... then I'm helping the nutrient partitioning aspect work better?

There's a lot of specific plans, but for starters, you should be getting at least your bodyweight in grams of protein every day, and not eating sugar or grain except for immediately before/after a workout." <---- really (the sugar & grain)? i mean, really? i would LIKE to believe that, cause then I have one more thing I can tweak to control things...LOL.

Replies

• JennieAL
    Options
    bump
  • monty_williams
    Options
    True, you can't spot target fat loss.

True, you need to provide your body enough fuel for your workouts. Timing the intake of nutrients around your workout, pre and post, is nutrient partitioning.

ON makes high quality protein suppliments. Just remember that suppliments are just that.

Yes, to your final protein and partitioning questions, but I'd also add some whey and/or BCAA and carbohydrates to your pre-workout, or ensure you are getting sufficient dietary protein from real food sources a few hours prior to your workout.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, you just need to be convinced of it.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    True, you can't spot target fat loss.

True, you need to provide your body enough fuel for your workouts. Timing the intake of nutrients around your workout, pre and post, is nutrient partitioning.

ON makes high quality protein suppliments. Just remember that suppliments are just that.

Yes, to your final protein and partitioning questions, but I'd also add some whey and/or BCAA and carbohydrates to your pre-workout, or ensure you are getting sufficient dietary protein from real food sources a few hours prior to your workout.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, you just need to be convinced of it.

Thanks! For some reason, I guess I do... LOL. Some people say just focus on cals in/cals out... period. And I do get that. But it seems there should be more to it. And this is what I've been worried about, that I'm going to bust my *kitten* and accomplish nothing for it... I guess I'm reading too much info and over-analyzing a bit. I just am one of those who wants to put the whole puzzle together before jumping in I guess... thanks for your response.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Calories in/out, at/above/below maintenance according to goals is 90% of it. Eat right, workout, and you'll see results. The rest, i.e. altering macro ratio's, partitioning, feeding windows, etc is just fine tuning it to meet your goals, lifestyle, schedule, and personal habits. The key to any diet is adherence and compliance. Trying to force a diet on yourself that doesn't meet your needs or lifestyle is doomed to fail. It's not something to stress about, excessive cortisol definitely won't help. ;)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    "You can't just do a caloric deficit and expect all the weight to come off the right places.

So far I agree in that you can't control where the fat comes off.
    When you're on those last few lbs, you really need to focus that diet in perfectly. You need to be getting enough protein and carbohydrates to fuel your workouts at the right time to fuel them, without letting them get stored as fat

I don't agree with the above, but before going further there's a big difference between "those last 10 lbs" of fat, and "contest lean" per bodybuilding standards. I think most people can get lean and fit by just creating a deficit and training hard and not complicating the process. I'll give you just one example-- look at my front shot. That's nowhere near contest shape by bodybuilding standards but it's reasonable to assess that as ~10%. By most people's standards that's quite lean.

I'm only mentioning this strictly to point out that "losing the last 10lbs" is very subjective.
    then I'm helping the nutrient partitioning aspect work better?
    Assuming you aren't training fasted and assuming macronutrient suficiency I wouldn't stress about nutrient timing outside of how it effects performance. Likewise you do not need carbs to fuel weight training as you should have adequate glycogen stores.

There's a lot of specific plans, but for starters, you should be getting at least your bodyweight in grams of protein every day
    1g/lb LBM should be a good MINIMUM to shoot for.
    and not eating sugar or grain except for immediately before/after a workout
    This is just sillyness and I'd ignore this advice.

You've basically gotten broscience on a plate but some of it has some merit and the theory that it gets more challenging the leaner you get has some truth to it.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    The key to any diet is adherence and compliance. Trying to force a diet on yourself that doesn't meet your needs or lifestyle is doomed to fail. It's not something to stress about, excessive cortisol definitely won't help. ;)

I wouldn't say I'm trying to force an unsavory diet on myself... LOL. If you could only see my food diary :P I seem to be living it up while NOT gaining weight... haha!
  • JennieAL
    Options

I was just told about bodyrecomposition.com today! Definitely bookmarking that site... signed up for his newsletter.