to log or not log skiing

Options
do you log skiing as exercise? and if so how do you time it?

i was up yesterday. it was my first time up this season due to an abdominal surgery in december. we got up there at 9 and first run was at 9:30. we left at 3, and took an hour off for lunch. so that amounts to about 5 hours on the slopes. i figure that 2/3 of the time was spent on the lift so around 90 minutes of actual skiing. does that sound right?

i'm not sure i should count it at all since the 'exercise' from skiing is in such broken up increments of time. what do you do?

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I haven't skied yet this year, but when I do, I will log it. I would probably timed a run and then just add up the minutes when I am done. They don't have an entry for skiing in the exercise log? That surprises me.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    They do have it. And 90 minutes of skiing general is over 1000 calories burned! Think about how much you are using your legs! Log it!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Skiing is in the database, and it has different levels so you can adjust it according to your skill level.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would totally log it, that is a lot of work! I like pp's idea of timing a run and adding it up at the end of the day.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    They do have it. And 90 minutes of skiing general is over 1000 calories burned! Think about how much you are using your legs! Log it!

actually, for my size 90 minutes is 400 calories. :) but it does use make you use some different muscle groups.
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    I always log it when I ski. I wear my HRM and just start the clock when I get off the lift, then stop it at the bottom, make note of the time and calories in my phone, then get back on the lift and do it again. It works well for me and isn't that hard to do. It's not like I have anything better to do while on the lift, haha! Good luck!
  • Skiing is totally exercise!! Burns lots of calories and works your muscles in ways you never normally would!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    do you log skiing as exercise? and if so how do you time it?

i was up yesterday. it was my first time up this season due to an abdominal surgery in december. we got up there at 9 and first run was at 9:30. we left at 3, and took an hour off for lunch. so that amounts to about 5 hours on the slopes. i figure that 2/3 of the time was spent on the lift so around 90 minutes of actual skiing. does that sound right?

i'm not sure i should count it at all since the 'exercise' from skiing is in such broken up increments of time. what do you do?

I think that sounds about right and I'd definitely log it. Skiing can burn a lot of calories.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've never been skiing but I'd surely log it in!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I subtracted lunch and breaks, which gave me about 4 hours. I took anywhere from 2-3 hrs depending on lift lines.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    When I go snowboarding next month I won't log it. Unless I wear a HRM.

I don't log things like that.

I log when I do exercise.
  • cbeargie
    cbeargie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- think of how your legs feel after the first difficult run of the year! j-e-l-l-o!
  • adonahoe82
    adonahoe82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i would log it, skiing (snow or water) will wear you out.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I always log it when I ski. I wear my HRM and just start the clock when I get off the lift, then stop it at the bottom, make note of the time and calories in my phone, then get back on the lift and do it again. It works well for me and isn't that hard to do. It's not like I have anything better to do while on the lift, haha! Good luck!

i'll have to do that next time. that would make it much simpler to know how much time i was actually skiing, instead of guessing.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Alpine or Nordic?

Classic Nordic can burn a tonne of calories
    Skate Nordic can burn more

Both can hit well over 1000 cal/hr - just as high as running. Nordic skiers have the highest recorded VO2Max levels of any athletes. Burns a load of calories and is great cardiovascular work.