Hip-replacement

Options
This might be a bit off topic but here goes. Recently found out that my mom will need a hip-replacement for congenital hip disease/dysplasia whatever you want to call it. I KNOW that I have it too. Has anyone had a hip replacement and gone on to participate in marathons? I'm several years away from having to do anything for mine, just curious.

Replies

• k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom has had both of hers replaced, she isn't a runner or anything tho.
    I am thinking you might be able to physically do it, but the problem would lie in hitting the ground wrong - replaced hips can be displaced just by stepping off a curb wrong, so I would worry about curbs, uneven cement, holes in grass etc. After her first replacement (in the 90s) they encouraged her not to ride a bike again - for the sole motion of getting on and off the bike, not for the biking itself.
    Very interesting question tho - I've also wondered this about knee replacements as well. They take longer to heal than hip replacements, but I've always wondered if you are able to resume (or start) running after a major surgery like that. I would like to think that once you are completely healed, you might be able to run again, slowly and carefully, but I could be totally wrong.
    Bumping for you, maybe someone else knows someone who has done this?
  • MongoMN
    MongoMN Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just responded to a very similar thread in this section. Here's the link to that post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/368096-running-after-hip-replacement?hl=hip+replacement#posts-5005299
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    I was born with hip dysplasia too and had a periacetabular osteotemy in my mid-20s (to prevent having to get a hip replacement in my 30s). I"m so happy I did the PAO surgery -- I'm able to run, snowboard, do everything I could do before, but without the pain. Training for my first Olympic distance triathlon this summer and I feel great so far!
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was born with fibrous dysplasia located at the neck of my left femur in my hip joint. Was not known until I fractured it at the age of 20. This is after years of Baseball, football and basketball without issue. After being on crutches for a year hoping that through the way of bone grafting, the fracture would heal. Unfortunately it didn't and the joint wasn't any longer receiving any blood supply. Needless to say, the only option was to do a hip replacement........I was 21. I've run 7 half marathons and 2 full marathons and in training now to run my 3rd in March. I now run over 100 miles a month.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I was born with fibrous dysplasia located at the neck of my left femur in my hip joint. Was not known until I fractured it at the age of 20. This is after years of Baseball, football and basketball without issue. After being on crutches for a year hoping that through the way of bone grafting, the fracture would heal. Unfortunately it didn't and the joint wasn't any longer receiving any blood supply. Needless to say, the only option was to do a hip replacement........I was 21. I've run 7 half marathons and 2 full marathons and in training now to run my 3rd in March. I now run over 100 miles a month.

I think it is fabulous that you never viewed it as an excuse to quit -- congratulations!
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I think it is fabulous that you never viewed it as an excuse to quit -- congratulations!

Oh I did...for years. Hence why I ended up having to lose 100lbs. haha.