HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!

Options
Seriously...it started with a brownie, then two, then a small crumb (that fell of the spot where I cut them) last night that I didn't have calories left for and continued this morning with a birthday celebration at work for a co-worker that lead to a breakfast casserole and two cupcakes! Ugh!!! WHY do I do this to myself? Someone PLEEEEEZZZEEE push me back up on the wagon...

Fortunately, I am going to compensate with my calories and work out this afternoon and evening for this morning but man...why? I have my eye on the prize and know how much better I will look and most importantly how much better I will feel and I still *bleep*ing eat that crap! If I just hadn't eaten that stuff this morning my workout would be making a deficit instead of making up for wasted calories!

I've done great since I started...what made me "fall"? I think stress and exhaustion is what caused my brownie attack last night and then instead of getting over it I let myself feel guilty and have a "what the hell" attitude this morning and "punished" myself with two cupcakes.

What makes you "fall"? How do you get yourself back up? I can't do this every time I stress or get emotional. I did better at lunch....I wanted to drive through Taco Bell for my very favorite "stress" meal and instead I drove to Walmart and purchased "Ripped in 30". I work two jobs so I'm hoping that the shorter (24 minute) work outs will allow me to work out on days even when I work at both jobs. I've seen lots of posts on MFP that suggest it is a great work out. I hope so.

Anyway...enough whining. I hope everyone is having a better day than I started out with. At least tomorrow's a new day...just gotta get myself over last night and this morning and the bad choices and move on.

Replies

• hnorris99
    Options
    It happens. Don't beat yourself up by it. Just take note about how you are feeling now and try to do better from this point on. I can't have sweets in the house or I will do exactly what you did. I don't have the will power to leave it alone. As for work, you need to try to get your coworkers on the get healthy wagon so the spreads there will become more healthy. You are doing great.
  • kathyl05
    kathyl05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already turned your day around; you aren't waiting until tomorrow...good for you! Keep up the good work!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Ok, everyone, one - two - three - HEAVE HO!

OK, you are back on the wagon now, hope you can stay there!

But yeah, it's common. You can always go back to healthy eating after making a mistake or two.
  • sgOkiozm
    Options
    er... that time of the month will do it...
  • cneboy
    cneboy Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a quote on my board next to my pc: "I'm not going to let this upset me and then take it out on my body by overeating."
  • clay1976
    clay1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seriously...it started with a brownie, then two, then a small crumb (that fell of the spot where I cut them) last night that I didn't have calories left for and continued this morning with a birthday celebration at work for a co-worker that lead to a breakfast casserole and two cupcakes! Ugh!!! WHY do I do this to myself? Someone PLEEEEEZZZEEE push me back up on the wagon...

Fortunately, I am going to compensate with my calories and work out this afternoon and evening for this morning but man...why? I have my eye on the prize and know how much better I will look and most importantly how much better I will feel and I still *bleep*ing eat that crap! If I just hadn't eaten that stuff this morning my workout would be making a deficit instead of making up for wasted calories!

I've done great since I started...what made me "fall"? I think stress and exhaustion is what caused my brownie attack last night and then instead of getting over it I let myself feel guilty and have a "what the hell" attitude this morning and "punished" myself with two cupcakes.

What makes you "fall"? How do you get yourself back up? I can't do this every time I stress or get emotional. I did better at lunch....I wanted to drive through Taco Bell for my very favorite "stress" meal and instead I drove to Walmart and purchased "Ripped in 30". I work two jobs so I'm hoping that the shorter (24 minute) work outs will allow me to work out on days even when I work at both jobs. I've seen lots of posts on MFP that suggest it is a great work out. I hope so.

Anyway...enough whining. I hope everyone is having a better day than I started out with. At least tomorrow's a new day...just gotta get myself over last night and this morning and the bad choices and move on.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! I agree!! I hate when it's my time of the month....makes it so hard to stay on track for me!! :cry:

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    way to go on going and getting the workout dvd instead of the taco bell stress meal. Sounds like you are already back on the wagon. Hang in there. I find that planning ahead even for stressful times helps me. Maybe plan to get an ice cream cone from mc donalds when stress hits they are only 150 cals. You can do it, the important thing is to not give up
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the wagon.
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG me too i am going through it NOOOOOOWWWWWW i want all the sweet and everything grr!
    UGH!!! I agree!! I hate when it's my time of the month....makes it so hard to stay on track for me!! :cry:

• krevill
    krevill Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't give yourself such a hard time about it. As my nan would say just dust yourself down take a deep breath and carry on :happy:
  • sco8462
    sco8462 Posts: 34
    Options
    Personally, I think you should remember you are human. I do great for weeks and then I get distracted by work or I'm out with friends or, yeah, that time of the month. I'm going to be bad. It happens. I'm human. I set a time limit I'm allowed to feel bad about it. I earned the guilt trip. But, continued floggings don't help because like you, I'm an emotional/stress eater. So, I have to make myself get over it and be positive or I will completely fall of the wagon. I finally have the tools to quickly get back on the wagon and obviously you do too. That's what you should be proud of. Your reward for jumping back on the horse so fast is your new Ripped in 30. Go you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

If you look at it that way, you are in for a long gym session.

I think this is a bad set-up. Thinking of food in terms of what one will have to do to compensate for it promotes unhealthy eating, body image problems, and unnecessary guilt... a recipe for eating disorders, if I ever heard one

The brownies alone are 40 minute run apiece on the treadmill.

Total Calories: ~ 400 Total Time Running: 40 minutes
    * 1 Chocolate brownie

The treat: A large chocolate cupcake with icing (240 calories)

Try this: Dust off your bike for a moderate-intensity 30-minute spin.

Or this: Hit the sand for 27 minutes of beach volleyball.

Or this: Do this 24-minute mini-circuit: Run up stairs for 1 minute, then briskly walk back down in 1 minute. At the bottom, do jumping jacks for 1 minute. Rest; repeat 7 more times.

Just a couple of examples.
  • Theaandelsa
    Theaandelsa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel and the weekends are worst for me just feel like I deserve a treat. really struggling at moment as kids sick, cannot get to gym and work silly long hours where is the relax time for me, I know am such a whiner but ......maybe I am just not motivated at moment kind of feel whats the point and so what if I am a bit out of shape I cannot get everything sorted......am already giving myself a hard time about not being a good enough mother and trying be professional in my job......something has gotta give.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The other day I was at the grocery store. I went after I had gone swimming. I was hungry and the whole time I was in there I was fighting the urge to stop at the bakery for donuts or to buy a bag of glazed walnuts (basically sugarcoated). I bought a bosc pear, but on the way home I was thinking about how I've been eating right for years and most of the time I can go to the store and not even think about the stuff I shouldn't eat, but every now and then, the "Old Me" lets me know she's still lurking there deep inside. The Fat B&%tch won't die!
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips up! Don't be so hard on yourself. At least you can admit it...now it's time to move on. Don't feel guilty, that's the worse thing you can do!:happy:
  • clay1976
    clay1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    today i had the same start like you but you are in the right track you don't have to ended the way you started and i know that you can do it . don't let few hundred calories to become thousand or more because if you think, you have not done so much damage so far in calories but the thought that you did not stay on track that what is bringing you down and making you feel like a failure but you are not a failure you are just human, use this slip not as a stumbling stone but as a stepping stone to learn more about yourself. oh yes one more thing is great that you choose now the talk therapy instead the food therapy that is why we are here to support each other. you will be fine and stronger in your resolve
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thinking falling every now and then is a good thing if the result is a renewed effort to stay on track.
  • bigloser85_2012
    bigloser85_2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am about to grab my orange and my healthy sandwich and head from one job to another. And...stay on track the rest of today, work out hard tonight when I get home, and most important...not have cupcakes for breakfast tomorrow!

I love this website more every day! I have tons of friends and most are supportive but there are a lot of them that don't struggle with weight so they don't understand me sometimes.
  • bigloser85_2012
    bigloser85_2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

If you look at it that way, you are in for a long gym session.

I think this is a bad set-up. Thinking of food in terms of what one will have to do to compensate for it promotes unhealthy eating, body image problems, and unnecessary guilt... a recipe for eating disorders, if I ever heard one

The brownies alone are 40 minute run apiece on the treadmill.

Total Calories: ~ 400 Total Time Running: 40 minutes
    * 1 Chocolate brownie

The treat: A large chocolate cupcake with icing (240 calories)

Try this: Dust off your bike for a moderate-intensity 30-minute spin.

Or this: Hit the sand for 27 minutes of beach volleyball.

Or this: Do this 24-minute mini-circuit: Run up stairs for 1 minute, then briskly walk back down in 1 minute. At the bottom, do jumping jacks for 1 minute. Rest; repeat 7 more times.

Just a couple of examples.

Icing on brownies...blech! The brownies were 160 each...so 320 total....well...let's say 350 for the little crumb I picked up too. Not as bad as it could have been but I only had a few of my 1220 calories left for the day. And today fortunately even with my dinner tonight I'm not going to go over my calories but still...I could have had more to eat of things that would have been much better without the sugar rush and guilty feelings causing me to want to continue to be bad.

Thank you so much for the examples though. I knew my options for burning what I consumed but others may not have so very informative and helpful. :-)