Favorite oatmeal additions...?

Options
I love oatmeal... with several tablespoons of brown sugar :wink: . I need ideas for healthier additions to oatmeal to make it sweet and tasty. I'm not a huge fan of the flavored microwave packets, I usually make it on the stove. I've tried adding Truvia and I wasn't fond of the taste... what suggestions do you all have?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Strawberries. The also act as a natural anti-inflamatory so a great snack after a workout.

I also like raspberries.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fresh cranberries (in season)
    lowfat vanilla yogurt
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I do peanut butter and raisins. It's the only way I eat it
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I LOVE fresh blueberries in mine, I smash them up a bit first:laugh: then stir them in, with a splash of skim milk, it's yummy!
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Apex Vanilla protein powder (green canister) is a great addition to oatmeal. I put 1/2 a scoop with a banana and some walnuts and it's awesome. Also frozen mixed berries for a min. in microwave are nice in oatmeal too! I can't EVEN go back to eating packet oatmeal now!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i eat old fashioned oatmeal every morning! I have brown sugar and a small handful of cherry-flavored craisens. SO delicious! Also, sometimes I do brown sugar and a cut up banana!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You can add things to oatmeal? :noway:

Hehe, just kidding. I'll normally stir in1/4 cup of frozen blueberries to help cool down the oatmeal. Yum!
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    banana's, mmmm--now I want some oatmeal...
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I make these fantastic oatmeal pancakes every morning. 4 egg whites (or 2 egg whites and one egg), half a cup of oatmeal, half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, vanilla. Coat a frying pan and add mixture (I make one big pancake but you can make 2). Then I top it off with fresh strawberries and blueberries...Delish!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do peanut butter and raisins. It's the only way I eat it

That sounds good I am going to give that a try tomorrow!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i always add light vanilla activia yogurt and a banana! really good!
  • hushmonkey1234
    Options
    I put a little bit of sugar free syrup and 1% milk on it. For the entire serving its 180 cal.
    I love oatmeal in the morning it keeps me from being hungry and gives me lots of energy.:bigsmile:
  • BIGGRAMMA
    BIGGRAMMA Posts: 2,273
    Options
    crasins

peanut butter

Flax seeds

I have even added a little shredded cheese....like you would with grits...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I haven't tried adding my flax to it yet ... I should ..
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Frozen mixed berries.

Mix (cold) with plain yohurt and and strawberries and leave overnight.

A little honey and raisins.
  • shanikachante
    shanikachante Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds
    Bananas
    Cranberries
    Blueberries
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. lets's seee

chocolate chips (my fave!)
    PB
    honey
    Nutella
    yogurt
    raisins
    fruit ofcourse
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS put splenda and cinnamon in mine along with 1/8th of a cup of skim milk. Thats the best way to go. Adding bananas to Hot oatmeal makes it taste really weird. strawberries are really good though or chop up apples into cubes and cook them at night...then add them in the morning...soooo good!
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try the oatmeal pancakes in the morning. Thanks!

224443.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    My favourites are a little Splenda and fresh raspberries, or a tablespoon of low-cal maple syrup and raisins.

I had some fun last summer where I was working. All these southern gentlemen kept walking in on me eating my oatmeal, and telling me that horse food wasn't a real breakfast. Every time I see biscuits and gravy, I want to yak :S