Hypothyroidism

Options
How can I lose weight with hypothyroidism? I have been on a lose dose hormone replacement for 2 months and I'm still not able to lose any weight.

Replies

• pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mikibeth, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after the birth of my youngest son. It is hard, I will not lie to you, but it is possible. First, start measuring yourself weekly. You might find that you will lose the inches faster than the pounds. That is what happened for me. I was able to lose 50+ pounds before injurying myself, and am back on the road to losing that weight again. I am on a higher dose medication, and am taking B-12 in addition to try to boost my metabolism. Give your meds a chance to work, and in the meantime just continue doing what you are doing. If it is still not coming off, ask your doc at your next check-up. Good luck.
  • fireballaaa
    fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have it too and you can lose weight just like the post before me said main thing is to watch your calorie intake and sodium. drink plenty of water and excerise and excerise it will come off be patient. Good Luck
  • mikibeth
    mikibeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will keep at it. I will not give up!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    people with thyroid problems can also have problems with wheat intolerance, try reducing your wheat if you eat alot of bread everyday AND wheat based breakfast cereals and pasta. I dropped half a stone first week I went wheat free/low carb.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    How can I lose weight with hypothyroidism? I have been on a lose dose hormone replacement for 2 months and I'm still not able to lose any weight.

Talk to your endocrinologist. I have a thyroid issue. I take Tapazole, which makes it too slow or too fast/ They have a lot of trouble regulating it. I found a wonderful doctor. She was m third for the thyroid. She said for me to lose I needed to stay on 1000 calories a day, exercise or not. No worry about starvation mode. When I keep to that I lose, exercise or not. I still lose,
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 19. I've been on medication since that first day. I am now 54. I used it as an excuse to not be "able to lose weight." My metabolism was always slow. Just look at food and I gained. It wasn't fair!

I saw Dr. Phil on Oprah way back maybe 15 years ago. He said one HUGE pearl of wisdom that spoke to me:"It doesn't matter how slow your metabolism is. If you want to lose weight you have to learn to deal with it. That's all you get. It doesn't matter that it isn't fair."

I started this current weight loss journey at age 49. I had just quit work. I was teetering on the edge of menopause. I decided I had enough. I started my journey at 205 pounds and I was going to finish at 135 pounds. I am 5' 5 1/2 inches tall. I chose my plan, started walking and got busy about it on January 26, 2007. In the first 8 months I lost 53 pounds. Coincidentally I visited my GYN who told me "great job!" As MOST women who quit work gain 10 pounds. Then going through menopause you are also likely to gain 10 pounds. I did both and lost 53 pounds plus I have hypothyroid disease!

I got off track, gained about 20 back, came to MFP almost a year ago to lose 35 pounds. I set my sights on my goal of 135 pounds and have kept going, picking up speed as I go. Today I am 138 pounds and the last 3 pounds are toying with me, but I'll get there. Might have taken me 5 years to do the job, but I have learned a lot about myself, about nutrition, and about what it means to really take care of myself. I have learned what people mean when they tell you, "maybe you don't want it enough." Have you ever heard that one? I have and it made me see red every time. Guess what? I'll never hear that one again because I finally figured out that I do want it enough and how to get it.

The journey is different from everyone. But if you do the work you will get there. Just because it took me 5 years it doesn't mean that I've wasted my time, does it? The biggest thing on me now is my smile! From size 16 to size 4. I've lost 63 pounds. So can you if you get serious and get busy!

Best of luck to you!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to mention: any adjustment in your medication or starting medication will take 6 weeks to take effect. Take your medicine on an empty stomach either 30 minutes before you eat or what is it 3 - 4 hours after you eat? Also do not take within 3 - 4 hours of calcium, minerals or fiber laxatives. Check with your doctor on these things. If I am not exactly right, I am close.
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 12. I'm 28 now. I've been medicating for 16 years, and it's been a STRUGGLE. But as a PP mentioned, you just have to accept the cards you've been dealt and make your play.

Ok, so first, it takes about 6wks for your body to acclimate to med changes. If you were just diagnosed, your doctor should want you back every 6 weeks for the first 6-8 months if not the first year to make sure the levels you're on are working to make your TSH is at least between 1 and 3, AND that your symptoms improve. If you're TSH is somewhere at 1-3 and you're still experiencing Hypo symptoms, you need to have your meds increased or changed (possibly to Armor, the naturally derived thyroid hormone that gives both T3 and T4). If you're working with your GP/PCP (general practitioner/primary care physician), find out how much they know about the disease and what their general philosophy is on treating it. If it doesn't jive with what you want (which is someone who trusts the patient to be honest about their symptoms and treats the symptoms, not the test results), find an endocrinologist experienced in treating hypo.

Good luck!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in March with hypothyroidism. From taht day..my doc put me on armour thyroid. I am now taking 60 mg..and havent regretted it at all. As far as the weight loss..I am one of the lucky ones..its just left me..a pound a week or so.. I am now at goal weight...
    I usually do the low carb dealio during the week...no processed carbs/pasta/grains..none of it...and during the weekends ..I may go over my allotment of carbs..but never over the calories...
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to mention: any adjustment in your medication or starting medication will take 6 weeks to take effect. Take your medicine on an empty stomach either 30 minutes before you eat or what is it 3 - 4 hours after you eat? Also do not take within 3 - 4 hours of calcium, minerals or fiber laxatives. Check with your doctor on these things. If I am not exactly right, I am close.
    Hi there, I'm hypo too.
    I celebrate the ounces lost as well as the pounds.
    I was curious and I was wondering if eating soy would impact my medication because soy has estrogen. Does anyone know?
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You should have your blood checked 6wks after every med change.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I'm the same - been on a low dose for about 3 months. Hoping that soon the scale will start moving in the right direction. For now I'm continuing to exercise and log in here everyday. I feel better, but have the "gut" feeling that my Dr. should increase my dosage. Thankfully I lost the 68lbs BEFORE the Thyroid conked out!!!!

Hang in there my friend!!
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Hi there, I'm hypo too.
    I celebrate the ounces lost as well as the pounds.
    I was curious and I was wondering if eating soy would impact my medication because soy has estrogen. Does anyone know?

I tend to shy away from soy in general, not necessarily because of hypo, but because of all the extra phyto-estrogen mucking up everything else in the hormones, too, especially if you're TTC or dealing with IF. If you've got an endocrinologist, I'd recommend speaking with them. If they're indifferent, it'd be worth a look into speaking with a naturopath. I love me a good ND :)
  • xionai
    xionai Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm Hypo, too (been medicated for ... dang, 18 years now!). I've been told that it can make the last 10 pounds "close to impossible" to take off, but shouldn't effect the rest of what you're trying to lose. I don't know if I'd call that exactly true in my experience.

I've found that when I did lose weight (50 pounds in about 9 months - from 180 down to 130pds. That was 8 years ago & I've gained 30 of it back) it was from making the right dietary choices. Someone without Hypothyroidism who had made the same changes might've lost more quickly. In my experience, my body doesn't react as quickly to exercise as other people's. In fact, it feels like it reacts excruciatingly slowly!!

From what I've read about soy, it's okay in small doses, but in large quantities or eaten often, it can definitely affect the absorption of your medication.

Hypo is REALLY frustrating because it seems hard to get a straightforward answer about any of it, even from an Endo. I've been to four different Endos in the last 18 years, and they all seem to treat & think about this disorder differently, from telling me about certain foods to eat, to telling me I'll never get the last 20 pounds off so not to worry about it? Very, very frustrating.