over in protein question

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to MFP, can you still lose weigt when you are consistently over in your protein? I am under in calories and fat but seem to go over in protein. Interested in hearing the experience of others.

Thanks!

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I hope you get to where to your fitness goals. As for the forums, this has been answered many times before and a search of the forums would show that MFP sets the protein low, but according to RDA recommendations. Don't worry about going over.
  • misslynnswan
    Options
    I'm also usually over in my protein. From what I know being over in protein is usually fine. If you are trying to build muscle (that helps burn more calories) it good to have extra protein from lean meats, vegetable sources or nuts. The fitness industry is always trying to sell "protein shakes, bars, etc". Many body builders have a huge intake of lean protein. If you are a little over I'm sure that is fine. Losing weight is just math of calories and calories out so as long as you are keeping the calories low enough and really working out and mixing up your workouts then you'll do great.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I get about double what the USDA recommends - about 1g per lb of lean body mass. Some days are more some are less. My body does a good job "telling" me what it needs. If my body wants protein I will start craving eggs or some kind of meat. If I didn't drink enough water the day before I wake up with my body "telling" me "go get some water".

Unless you have kidney disease or other kidney issues excess protein will not hurt you. That's what the kidneys are there for and they do one hell of a job keeping our bodies clean (same with the liver - talk about a power organ!)
  • seven8nine
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I suppose people who have been using MFP for a while get tired of the same old questions but I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.