i need help how did you get into good running shape?!?!?!

i have not been running a lot........ever........... i used to be in track and field and was very good at it but i ran till i puked but i wanna run be able to just run!!! i just can seem to get far without being out of breath with in seconds

Replies

• KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Try couch to 5k. you can get an app on your phone that is a 9 week program that eases you into running. the one i use is called c25k lite. i am on week 6 and loving it. i have never been much of a runner myself.
  • Maybe you should start with just a brisk walk everyday and then later into running. You don't want to push yourself too hard or you will just give up.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    I've done the couch to 5 k program....it's a great way to get into running.....even for non runners like me...

Good luck!
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 319 Member
    Consistency ,trying to run a little bit further each time/ run quicker and short breaks in between if you feel you are struggling too much.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    C25K
  • Consistency ,trying to run a little bit further each time/ run quicker and short breaks in between if you feel you are struggling too much.
    thanks yall
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Contrary to most peoples experience, I had my best success after not running for a while.

I used to struggle to get more than 2-3 kilometres without stopping to catch my breath, I stopped running but spent a lot of time in the gym. A lot of cardio (mixed HIIT with steady state and plenty of resistance training). After a couple of months of this I went for a run (the gym was closed that day :P). I found I was able to run 10k without stopping!!

Since then I have kept up the gym to improve my strength and fitness overall, and fit a couple of runs in each week - I'm up to 14k's now, and will be entering a half marathon later this year!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    couch to 5k...I'm on week 2 and I'm actually looking forward to running. That's something that has NEVER happened.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    i pretty much do c25k but i go at my own pace. I started off walking for 1 min on the treadmill then running for 1 min until I've spent 30 mins total on the treadmill. I kept that up until I felt like I was able to run for 2 mins. Then 3. The highest I've gotten is 5 mins at a time but I had to stop because I sprained my ankle so I'm back at 3 for now.
  • okie dokie thanks for the help yall
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Couch to 5k
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is an excellent program. It's how I got back into running. Also read Chi running and Born to Run.

This video below is very helpful. I was having trouble with chin splints and now they are going away.
    http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/11/02/magazine/100000001149415/the-lost-secret-of-running.html
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!