Hello everyone, I just got engaged!! And i'm starting to loo

Options
Hey everyone,
How's it going? I want to start this off by saying that I have struggled with my weight for years. There was a point when I actually was a size ten, and was able to maintain that weight for over four years. Then I made one of the worst mistakes of my life, I went on my first "fad/crash diet". Just as I was coming off that first diet, I went away to University. Because my body was all screwed up, the "freshman 15" turned into a "freshman 80". About 4 years ago, I went on another crash diet and ended up losing 65 lbs. But because the diet was so extreme (less than 1000 calories per day) I naturally hit a plateau. At that point, I was accused of eating too much and became very discouraged and disillusioned. Sinse then, I have gradually put back on every pound I lost.
Now that my man has proposed (yay!!), I have started looking at wedding dresses. The reason I feel I need to lose the weight for my wedding is because I want to be able to choose the most beautiful dress I can find, not just the dress I look the least fat in. If there is anyone else in the same situation, let me know ans we can keep each other motivated!!

Look forward to hearing from you,
Michelle

Replies

• amandalfn
    Options
    Congrats to you and good luck on your journey!! I felt the same way when I got married 4 years ago about losing weight so I could pick whatever dress I wanted not get stuck with a "fat girl" dress. My goal now is I want to be happy in a bathing suit - which is waaay less material! :)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! =]
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations !!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi totally not getting married... Been married for 13 years lol but just wanted to say congratulations :smile:
  • hunnybee262393
    Options
    Hey, I'm also engaged! Although we haven't set a date yet, I would love nothing more than to to be a healthy weight for my wedding, and be in the knowledge that I'll look good in a bikini for the honeymoon :)
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats, Im recently engaged to, but don't plan on getting married for a couple of years yet. But i to want to be able to pick a pretty dress to. I just want to be able to pick pretty clothes in general actually!
    When is the big day??
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    Welcome!

CRASH DIETS = BAD!

You need to teach yourself how to eat properly in order to lose weight and keep it off for good. MFP is WONDERFUL for this! No crash diet. This site helps you to see just what you're eating, not just the calories but fat content as well as sodium, sugars, etc. I love it. Really puts things into perspective on what you should and should NOT eat.

Crash diets SET YOU UP FOR FAILURE in the future. Sure, you WILL lose weight FAST and you will lose A LOT of it! BUT! And this is a BIG BUT! You WILL gain it all back once the crash diet ends. Unless you plan on eating the way that crash diet has you doing for the rest of your life, you will gain all of it back.

The key is to instill better habits into your daily routine. Things that are manageable, doable, and HEALTHY. Glad you are here! We are all in this together! Here's to a healthier YOU!
  • milersad1323
    milersad1323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the engagement and the decision to lose weight the healthy way! I joine MFP two months ago because of my engagement and upcoming Sept. 7 wedding. I am already down 30 pounds and feeling great! Feel free to add me and we can motivate one another to look and feel our best on our wedding days!
  • hailey0323
    Options
    i know how you feel im pretty young to be my weight
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck! Getting engaged can be a HUGE motivation. I dropped 45 lbs in a year for mine =)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of truly gorgeous dresses that will flatter any figure. Don't get your heart set on a style until you've been to a fitting. Definitely continue to strive for health and fitness, but do not let the dress define your goals.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you.

And for dresses that will be stunning - check out these sites:
    Dresses designed just for you: http://www.lightinthebox.com/
    And traditional: http://www.kissmymelinda.com/plus-size-wedding-dresses-c-4.html

And congrats!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was a size 16/18 at my wedding, and I felt like a queen in my gown.

You can find something beautiful to suit your figure at any size.

Congratulations!

Enjoy this journey to better health. :)
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello, 1st want to say Congrats! I too am getting married and want to be a healthy weight or less then what I was when he popped the question! :heart:

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to look FAB in your dress! My 1st goal was to be 2 sizes smaller then when we got engaged when I went to try on dresses! I met that goal! I also ordered it one size smaller then what I was to motivate me! I'm Getting married May 19th of this year so the Countdown begins, and have had some set backs of being sick along with the holidays so I'm stressing! But if you would like support I am here, Just friend request me! :flowerforyou:
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so amazingly beautiful!
  • LauraBth02
    LauraBth02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in August and have similar goals! Feel free to add me! I would love to cheer each other on!