Tofu noodles... Not nearly as bad as I thought!!!

Options
Hey everyone! If you are a pasta junkie you better get your pen and notepad ready for what I'm about to tell you... This evening I went to the grocery store to pick up a few items I needed to sustain my diet, one item in particular I had been wanting to try out for a few weeks now. I went to the produce isle in Weis Markets hoping to find this product I never heard before: Shirataki Tofu noodles. I planned to try them out with a pretty basic healthy spaghetti sauce and some shrimp I had left over from a previous meal. I bought 2 bags of the angel hair style noodles and went back to my apartment to try them out... THEY WERE AWESOME!!!! They are only 40 calories for 8 oz and I'm so full after eating them. The noodles normally come in 3 varieties: angel hair, spaghetti, and fettucini, but if you're lucky you may be able to find them in elbow noodle style. So just keep that in mind for the next time you need a pasta fix!!!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    They are great in stir-fry too, love them.
  • steamingcoffee
    steamingcoffee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks I will definitely be getting some of these next time
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are they located in the refrigerated section or in the pasta aisle?
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If tofu is used and cooked correctly it is really good. A friend of mine and her son are vegan due to health issues and she is an AMAZING cook. I did not want to try anything she made at first but when I did try it, holy crap did I go to town on it. I still use almond milk in my gluten free cereal, and I still have rice bread because I prefer that when toasted. lol
  • shtaylor
    Options
    You are absoluely right they are awesome. I find the angel hair pasta the best. Have tried the fetticini, rotini and regular spaghetti, they are a bit more chewy. After I rinse mine I put them in a HOT skillet and dry them out more then just patting them dry, also add a little garlic and sprinkle some parm into them. The rotini is good as a chili mac, tuna casserole, with hamburger helper instead of the packaged noodles.
  • shtaylor
    Options
    I find them in the refrigerated section with the wonton wraps. Also there is another version that have -0- calories, they are made by
    Miracle Noodle.com I order them on line, these do not have tofu in them.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on what sauce to use with them in a stir fry??
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on what sauce to use with them in a stir fry??
    I've done an Asian stir-fry using soy sauce and garlic and an Italian one flavored with Italian seasonings, no sauce except a little olive oil.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back up because I just found these in our local grocery store and they are AMAZING! I just calculated the calorie difference having a large plate of spaghetti with pasta sauce and extra old cheddar.. and with two packs of the Shirataki Tofu Noodles it came to 360 Calories and 12 carbs, vs. 900 Calories and 126 carbs with the regular pasta for the same volume. They are a bit more chewy but the difference is negligible and it's so filling.. I'm definitely getting these if I have a pasta craving :)