How to stay UNDER my sugar?

Options
How do I eat all my fruits and veg like a good little girl and stay UNDER my sugar?! :grumble:

I asked about a week ago for people to give me some feedback on my diary, and the general consensus was I need more fruits and veggies. So I've been trying to eat three servings of each a day, but how the hell am I supposed to do that without going over on sugar?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar if it is from that kind of source. It is worth all the nutrients!

Altho if you still want to, I would try lower sugar fruits like berries and grapefruit :]
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    How do I eat all my fruits and veg like a good little girl and stay UNDER my sugar?! :grumble:

I asked about a week ago for people to give me some feedback on my diary, and the general consensus was I need more fruits and veggies. So I've been trying to eat three servings of each a day, but how the hell am I supposed to do that without going over on sugar?

Totally in the same boat and I'm at a real loss for how to stay under. Especially considering EVERYTHING has sugar in it...I didn't even know until a few days ago that milk has a fair amount of sugar in it...Milk!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think you can! The recommended 2 serves of fruit per day will almost always push you over the daily limit set on this site. Personally I don't worry about it, and will continue this way.

If the majority of your sugars are coming from whole fruits and not processed foods, I don't see how being a little high will pose a problem.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar if it is from that kind of source. It is worth all the nutrients!

Altho if you still want to, I would try lower sugar fruits like berries and grapefruit :]

I do love berries...lol. I actually have grapefruit in the house, but my problem is making myself eat it. If I coat it in Truvia I can eat it fine, it tastes pretty good. But that after taste...yeck.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't count sugar (at least not yet). Are you diabetic and need to count that? If so, i would go for low sugar fruits, or see where you are high and substitute for lower ones.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I do love berries...lol. I actually have grapefruit in the house, but my problem is making myself eat it. If I coat it in Truvia I can eat it fine, it tastes pretty good. But that after taste...yeck.

I absolutely love grapefruit :D If you want to then you just have to pick the low sugar varieties! Will be less calories so that is a plus :D
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

I absolutely love grapefruit :D If you want to then you just have to pick the low sugar varieties! Will be less calories so that is a plus :D

Maybe I will then. I actually have something called Purevia and it's zero calorie, zero sugar all that. Guess I'll try it tomorrow then :*
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Really looks like you're eating healthy! I wouldn't worry about it either unless your diabetic or pre-diabetic. If so, look at my food diary to see how to stay under (most days).
  • roxxi227
    roxxi227 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the sugars on here are set really low. My throat gets sore so I add a teaspoon of honey to my tea, and even if it's first thing in the morning, that one teaspoon will set me over for the whole day. My sugars are always over but I look at the total day's nutrition. If I hit my proteins, keep my sat fats, sodium and sugars as low as I can without denying myself a little flavor, I'm okay with a couple things being slightly over. Especially because if you start trying to deny yourself of any sugars, you might start to crave it and go into a binge.
  • bostonsx2
    Options
    I am diabetic also and my diatition said to not count "sugars", just carbs. Approximately 45-60 carbs per meal with 2 15 carb snacks.
    The natural sugar found in fruits and vegetables are not the same as table sugars and do not convert the same. A small apple, orange,
    banana or 15 grapes are equal to 15 carbs. So eat your fruits and veggies!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think you can! The recommended 2 serves of fruit per day will almost always push you over the daily limit set on this site. Personally I don't worry about it, and will continue this way.

If the majority of your sugars are coming from whole fruits and not processed foods, I don't see how being a little high will pose a problem.

Exactly! processed sugars and natural sugar are in a whole other category. Processed sugars have no nutritional values and cause spikes in blood sugar unlike naturally occuring sugars in fruit that help maintain positive insulin levels. And fruit as we know provide nutrients and fiber. So as long as you are getting a majority of your sugar intake from fruit I would not worry to much unless you have trouble in the form of sugar related illness.

Good luck!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Hold it over your head.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Hold it over your head.

Best reply 2012? I think so.
  • gp79
    Options
    I couldn't resist. Don't hold it against me. I wouldn't be too concerned with your sugar. If your making good choices, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and are getting enough protein and fat just keep in a calorie deficit to continue to lose (or surplus) if you want to gain.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I couldn't resist. Don't hold it against me. I wouldn't be too concerned with your sugar. If your making good choices, fruits, vegetables, lean meats and are getting enough protein and fat just keep in a calorie deficit to continue to lose (or surplus) if you want to gain.

I've been trying, but I haven't been losing, just maintaining :(
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do from fruits and it'll be ok, but if you wanted to find lower glycemic fruits you could do that. I buy a lot of berries specifically. Everytime I have a banana and an apple in the same day I go over my sugars.
  • gp79
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm at a sticking point right now too. Just don't give up, persistence and you'll win this battle. Just out of curiosity what's your height / weight and with your workouts, how frequent, how long and how intense? What's your daily calorie goal?
  • chanson104
    Options
    I always go over on my sugar, and I don't care because I know it is from all of the fruit that I eat. Don't worry about going over as long as it is coming from healthy sources!!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm at a sticking point right now too. Just don't give up, persistence and you'll win this battle. Just out of curiosity what's your height / weight and with your workouts, how frequent, how long and how intense? What's your daily calorie goal?

In my best announcer voice...
    *In the right corner...standing just 5'6" and weighing in at a whopping 284 pounds for the past week...Brittany!*

But seriously, the above.My goal for calories is 2090. I work out usually 3 times a week, 30 minutes of cardio (though I haven't in a few days, sprained my foot) Typically I burn about 300 calories a session and get a lot of leg/arm action in it. I eat most of my calories, and when I exercise I also eat most back. Usually I leave about a 100 calorie buffer so-to-speak, because I know I can either underestimate the calories eaten or overestimate the calories burned.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    How to stay under your sugar? Easy- Go into settings and adjust it.

I think the default is like 50g.Two glasses of milk and an orange will push you over that. I set mine to 100 g. I still routinely go over. If it's low GI foods I don't typically worry about it.

While you're in there you might as well up your protein to something realistic for maintaining muscle mass (if you haven't done so already)