Diary is open, what suggestions can you offer?

Options
I am open for suggestion. Please keep this civil, I have read through enough threads to know that there are some not so nice people out there and I am looking for honest opinions and not rudeness. Due to complete newness to this site and its' culture I won't understand your sarcasm and I will take it as rudeness.

I am seeing some changes, (almost 13lbs since I started at the beginning of the month) but I am getting a little bored. I don't like the idea of box meals since I am home and I love to cook. I need some change ups though to keep me going! Any recipes? I feel like I am eating a ton of chicken (which I am, since it's easy to count calories with) I don't care for fish and I do eat beef, but find it hard to portion it out. After reading through some posts I changed my activity level from active light ( I am a SAHM with a few daycare buddies under five years of age that I chase around) to sedentary because there is no way I would ever eat as many calories as it had me at.....Just looking for a little direction

So here's what I am looking for, some more dinner idea's and I need some form of chocolate in my life, or I become a sour person! :) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LesleeAH
    Options
    It would be helpful to know your stats - weight, goal weight, settings, etc?

Also, the last couple of days you've had 500 - 1000 calories left. Is there a reason for that?
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)

I'm not good really at knowing what to eat, what not to eat, what to focus on, what to not focus on, etc but can't wait to see what suggestions you get as our taste for foods are very similar!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry, that's it. And I am just not at that point to let my stats out there quite yet. :)
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi! Great job so far! I think you are eating far too much processed foods. I recommend more fresh veggies. Maybe hummus to dip them in or hummus with pita bread? Try to stay away from boxed, packaged foods. Too much sodium and it isn't a clean diet. If you like oatmeal, that is a great breakfast. Or fat free greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola. I love fresh bell peppers (yellow and orange mostly) and berries and grape tomatoes. Fresh fresh fresh! How about fish for dinner? And lots of salads with spinach and romaine and very light dressings. :)
  • SONIA820
    Options
    Hi! Great job so far! I think you are eating far too much processed foods. I recommend more fresh veggies. Maybe hummus to dip them in or hummus with pita bread? Try to stay away from boxed, packaged foods. Too much sodium and it isn't a clean diet. If you like oatmeal, that is a great breakfast. Or fat free greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola. I love fresh bell peppers (yellow and orange mostly) and berries and grape tomatoes. Fresh fresh fresh! How about fish for dinner? And lots of salads with spinach and romaine and very light dressings. :)

I feel like I do most of these things (well lots of salads and steamed veggies) and I already said that I don't care for boxed or packaged things or fish. I enjoy making my own granola and just got some yogurt! :) Thanks for the other idea's though! :)
  • SONIA820
    Options
    Hi there :)

I'm not good really at knowing what to eat, what not to eat, what to focus on, what to not focus on, etc but can't wait to see what suggestions you get as our taste for foods are very similar!

Well hello! Hope you get some help too! :)
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It seems alright to me. I agree that the more fresh/clean foods you can eat the better but it looks like you're getting a decent amount of protein. If you're looking for ways to add chocolate in there you could try the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies, chocolate protein bars, the chocolate PB2 (I'd add it to smoothies or mix it with cool whip), sugar and fat free pudding, or add some chocolate chips to a handful of nuts or something. I saw a recipe for apple "nachos" today - apple slices with drizzled caramel on top (I'd use the 100 calorie reduced sugar packs), and some mini chocolate chips on top. As far as dinner and such goes have you considered pork? It's pretty lean and it's easy to cook up some pork chops or tenderloin (so yummy!). I highly suggest you get a food scale if you don't have one already. I got a cheap on at Walmart a few years back and I love it! It takes the guess work out of eating fresh meat and veggies. Another thing I like is to get the spray dressing and spray it on steamed veggies to mix things up a bit. Beans are another great thing you can add to any meal and they have tons of protein and fiber which help you fill up and stay full. Oh another thing I love to do is cook up some carne asada on the stove with salsa and put it over lettuce with black beans, corn, low fat cheese, and fat free sour cream. Oh and some avocado if I have the room for the calories. My diary is open too if you want to take a peek for ideas. I do the Olivia Method which means I'm set at maintenance - that's why you'll see so many remaining calories :)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. But like has been said, without height, weight, gender, and goals no one's going to know if you're eating too much/little calories, fat, carbs, or protein. So all I guess I can say is way to go for keeping the calories down and not eating horribly. My only worry is that you're eating too little. Under eating, and lack of hunger, can be a sign of overtraining, which may eventually reverse your fitness goals.
  • SerenityRabit
    Options
    I think you're doing pretty well!
    Maybe keep track of sodium, a lot of the food seems proccessed,which calls for concern of possibly going over sodium intake.
    Add more veggies and fruits, and you'd be doing fantastic!
    Best of luck, you're doing really good:3.
    extra small suggestion~~Switch your iceburge lettuce to romaine, much more nutrition!
  • SONIA820
    Options
    It seems alright to me. I agree that the more fresh/clean foods you can eat the better but it looks like you're getting a decent amount of protein. If you're looking for ways to add chocolate in there you could try the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies, chocolate protein bars, the chocolate PB2 (I'd add it to smoothies or mix it with cool whip), sugar and fat free pudding, or add some chocolate chips to a handful of nuts or something. I saw a recipe for apple "nachos" today - apple slices with drizzled caramel on top (I'd use the 100 calorie reduced sugar packs), and some mini chocolate chips on top. As far as dinner and such goes have you considered pork? It's pretty lean and it's easy to cook up some pork chops or tenderloin (so yummy!). I highly suggest you get a food scale if you don't have one already. I got a cheap on at Walmart a few years back and I love it! It takes the guess work out of eating fresh meat and veggies. Another thing I like is to get the spray dressing and spray it on steamed veggies to mix things up a bit. Beans are another great thing you can add to any meal and they have tons of protein and fiber which help you fill up and stay full. Oh another thing I love to do is cook up some carne asada on the stove with salsa and put it over lettuce with black beans, corn, low fat cheese, and fat free sour cream. Oh and some avocado if I have the room for the calories. My diary is open too if you want to take a peek for ideas. I do the Olivia Method which means I'm set at maintenance - that's why you'll see so many remaining calories :)

Thanks for all the idea's!!! :)
  • groovycol
    Options
    chocolate suggestion for you! If you like dark chocolate, that is. These mini chocolates are 25 calories apiece, and are fair trade!
    http://shop.equalexchange.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=18613

For those times when you just need chocolate, one or two of these will do the trick! I keep mine well out of reach so I have to go out of my way to get one.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    One thing I try to do to change it up (especially when I feel like cheating) is ask myself, "If I could eat ANYTHING right now, what would it be?" Then I try to come up with a healthier way to prepare it. For example, I was craving a hamburger and fries the other night, so I looked up healthy hamburger recipes and then baked some fries. Or if you're craving Mexican food, you can buy fresh ingredients and low-carb tortillas and make your own fajitas. Things like that.

I would start searching recipes like crazy, maybe join Pinterest, and go check out a healthy cooking cookbook from the local library. All of these can offer lots of new ideas!

As for the chocolate: I usually buy bags of mini-sized candy bars or cookies and just eat one serving if I have room. I don't deny myself! Good luck!
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i use the recipes at allrecipes.com, and i type in budget meals, etc and get lots of stuff i have 3 cookbooks full of ideas. what do you like food wise and i do almost all homemade cooking( from breads and pastas to homemade box meals and copycat restaurant meals)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Since you love to cook, I would suggest that. The closer a food is to it's starting point the better (ie, it's better to buy fresh chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, peas, and maybe cheat a bit on the noodles and make your own chicken noodle veggie soup). Preservatives aren't necessarily the big bad monster, but there's no reason to be eating them if you can and like to make stuff from scratch.

Aim for recipes that use little added fat and salt. I make bean dishes, soups, roasts, home-made sloppy joes, tacos, etc and they usually end up being lower calories and less sodium (that's another big thing that I've started watching) than using pre-made. I do spaghetti sauce from a jar, and use Hamburger Helper probably more than I should, but even then there is a lot of variety, I'm still "cooking" and I can track calories pretty well. I have a goal to add at least 1 veggie to every dinner I serve (as much for my kids as anything, but I need them too) and have fruit for snacks or lunch.

A note - there is a recipe tool here. Go to food, then along the blue bar click on "recipes" and "add a new recipe" (or create or something like that ... I'm not looking at it). You enter everything in that you use to make the dish and how many servings there are and MFP calculates the calories, etc, per serving for you, then saves it so you can enter it in again later. Very handy!
  • SONIA820
    Options
    chocolate suggestion for you! If you like dark chocolate, that is. These mini chocolates are 25 calories apiece, and are fair trade!
    http://shop.equalexchange.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=18613

For those times when you just need chocolate, one or two of these will do the trick! I keep mine well out of reach so I have to go out of my way to get one.

Thanks so much! I DO love dark chocolate! I will check that out!
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    First of all- great job! You should be proud of your loss!

Everyone can always improve on their diet. I think it's a constant struggle for most of us... there is a lot of great information on the internet too, just dig around and you'll find some great resources.

In terms of recipes my favorite site is http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Your diet seems pretty solid. I think the one thing I would do is add more veggies and fruits and take away more sweets and breads. I know the sweet tooth is hard to tame, but it takes time! Try challenging yourself with little weekly goals. I went a few weeks without eating grains, meat, or dairy. It made me look at vegetables completely differently. I found what made me full, and what I didn't like. It jump started my weight loss and I learned a great deal in the process. Just a suggestion! Good luck and add me if you'd like!
  • rkteal
    rkteal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein shakes lots of vitamins and only 150 calories www.netrition.com healthsmart Chocolate supreme

Make your own protein shakes/smoothies

love to cook, what about roasted vegetables combo, whole grain muffins with berries, banana, etc.

Do you like pork? pork loin, pork chops, pork tenderloin lots of crockpot recipes available

Turkey? lots of options here also. Shrimp? Crab? Scallops? lots of options

Chocolate--3 musketeers, tootsie rolls, malted milk balls, low in calories and very satisfying, Ovaltine with hot milk--not low in calories but good.

Take care and be well,

Becky
  • SONIA820
    Options
    Chocolate protein shakes lots of vitamins and only 150 calories www.netrition.com healthsmart Chocolate supreme

Make your own protein shakes/smoothies

love to cook, what about roasted vegetables combo, whole grain muffins with berries, banana, etc.

Do you like pork? pork loin, pork chops, pork tenderloin lots of crockpot recipes available

Turkey? lots of options here also. Shrimp? Crab? Scallops? lots of options

Chocolate--3 musketeers, tootsie rolls, malted milk balls, low in calories and very satisfying, Ovaltine with hot milk--not low in calories but good.

Take care and be well,

Becky

Thanks so much Becky!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So here's what I am looking for, some more dinner idea's and I need some form of chocolate in my life, or I become a sour person! :) Thanks in advance!

For chocolate, try Chocolate Covered Katie( http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/ ). Her recipes tend to be quite low fat/calorie.:)
  • mrcatphish
    Options
    I can help a little. I have lost 33lbs since October and quit smoking. 218 to 185 and am 5ft 8in. I have completely changed the way I eat and it is now my lifestyle. I love food, all kinds, but I don't feel I have given up too much. Plus I feel great!! My goal is 1650 calories a day.

I am always on the website "cookinglight.com" and many times buy the magazine. It's got great meals that are not boring.

I buy organic dark chocolate 70% cocoa with espresso in it as a treat. I break off three little blocks off the bar, which is under 100 calories. It is a little sweet and very good for you. I will have that once or twice a week. In addition, I buy the pints of Stoneyfield Frozen Organic Yogurt with the Caramel in it. If you eat a 4th of the pint it is about 100 calories and is awesome.

Any snacks I eat, I try to keep at around 100 calories, whether it's fruit, grains or dairy.

So I guess what I am trying to say is cooking light is a great place to find dinner recipes with low calories. Good luck!